Author Topic: Seat  (Read 6954 times)

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
Re: Seat
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:57 PM »
Unless you know what you are doing, I would stay away from the electric knife.   I've done 3 seats, and used a good old fashioned non-motorized bread knife each time.  Much better control, and much more forgiving than a power tool.   It is a lot easier to take material off than put it back on. 
   :)
Less chit chat, more riding.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 09:45:36 PM »
True Dat! ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:03 PM »
You know, I can't fuss too much about Kymco putting this seat on our LIKE's. This fuel injected scoot with twin disc brakes and a pair of rear shocks, 12 " wheels, a rack with top case and a very spunky urban-street-eater engine with the Retro looks from an Italian designer - is a pretty good bargain at @ $2600. And, if you poke around a bit and locate one with a couple hundred miles on it you can get one for a song.
The seat for Americans (and for that fellow over there in Finland or where ever) is just too soft over those bumps in the pan. It digs into your tailbone!
Most scoot seats seem too flat and too hard - would that our's were, too! Sure would be easier to add a bit of foam to a flat pan!
But if some Filipino entrepreneur would start converting these seats & shipping them to California - he'd be as wealthy as Vivo in short order.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
Well, I seem to be proving the pincess and the pea story. I went for a long ride on my carved and loaded with foam seat and ended up with a numb butt!! I was sitting on a 3/8 inch gel pad with 3 inches of super high density foam and I could still feel that damn ridge! It was better and I rode for almost an hour and a half as apposed to about 35 minutes. But I still was not comfortable.
    Unless I have some sort of super sensitive follow along or something I seem to be at an impass here. I'm going to try to build up the seat pan to just above the ridge so I'm sitting flush with it instead of it being higher than rest of the pan. I'm going to look for some foam that is very dense and doesn't really compress. I will use this to build the pan up higher. Then I will try the rest of the foam and see if that will solve it.
     I will take some pics of where I'm at now and how it goes this weekend.

Thanks for all the great info and ride safe, mscmkr

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
Seats, seats, and more seats...    ;) ;D :o 8) ::)   

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:54:46 AM by Vivo »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 11:43:47 AM »
Any reason you couldn't cut out the hump, and rebuild the pan w/ epoxy-glass?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
Because I have no idea how to do that. I have no idea how to do what I'm doing but everyone on here is really pull it off so it's inspired me to give it a shot. Also, there is the gas tank directly bellow that hump so I don't think it can be made lower.
    I'm crossing my fingers that I can get this to work for me. The whole idea when I bought my scoot was to take it somewhere outside of town and go on long rides in the pretty country.

Thanks and ride safe, mscmkr

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »
I got ya.

The work you did is actually MUCH harder to do than Glass fabrication. Glass is a rough it in process where what you did is a finished product.

Just to put a bug in your ear... If you Dremmel out the hump, and lay a sheet of plastic under the hole with the seat pan on the bike you might gain an inch or so. Watch the vid, and you'll see what I mean.

sellerie auto,sellerie moto,sellerie bateau et generale, GS kustom, Montpellier

Now you're gonna think about it all the tie till you say WTF, and do it! Sorry!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:09:00 PM by zombie »

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 08:57:33 PM »
Every time you go out for a ride, stop and get a burger and fries with a large soda.  You won't feel that hump in a few weeks.
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »
Do you have any idea how hard it is to ride w/ a burger in one hand, super size drink between your legs, and still have the where-with-all to respond to a text? Never-mind the FRIES!!!

I guess you didn't really think that one thru J. ;D  I post, and daydream all the time too! ;)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 10:07:32 PM »
Do you have any idea how hard it is to ride w/ a burger in one hand, super size drink between your legs, and still have the where-with-all to respond to a text? Never-mind the FRIES!!!

I guess you didn't really think that one thru J. ;D  I post, and daydream all the time too! ;)

Here's a recent pix of me stopping to eat my Tater Totts - the grease sheds the rain making these great poor weather fare. You DO have to think through your scooter snacking.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 10:37:15 PM »
I'm still looking for a little fold out table I can bolt to the hook under my glove box. This way I can ride and snack at the same time. Mmmm chili cheese fries! Drool!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 11:37:29 PM »
Because I have no idea how to do that. I have no idea how to do what I'm doing but everyone on here is really pull it off so it's inspired me to give it a shot. Also, there is the gas tank directly bellow that hump so I don't think it can be made lower.
    I'm crossing my fingers that I can get this to work for me. The whole idea when I bought my scoot was to take it somewhere outside of town and go on long rides in the pretty country.

Thanks and ride safe, mscmkr
I think you can DO this thing!
I cut some heavy rebond foam into a tapered (slanted like a wedge front & back edges)  "U" shape to fill that area in front of the center bump. Once I'd filled this dip I layered over it with inches & inches of blue seating foam until I could feel nothing under my 'follow along'. I ran the blue foam out to the edges to make a wider  and flatter seating area. (checking to make sure the seat would close properly) -then worked the nose/front up higher to make certain I couldn't slide forward when braking. I used the rebond foam on the nose to build-up and at the very back to make something I can sit against - if I scoot back that far.
Once I firmly filled just that horse shoe shaped dip with stiff foam and put a thin layer all the way to the rear under the blue foam - I could no longer feel that bump. And this took inches of foam - in the side photo you can see how much I added before mashing it down with the stretched vinyl cover - and you can see that I worked to keep the front of the seat up - to keep me in place. I used the sading disc to scoop the seat a bit in the middle - in all 4 points of the compass.
I found that if I did not build the nose up after filling that horse shoe area - that 'knob' up there  had now effectively disappeared and I was sliding forward on even light braking.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:42:11 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 01:29:55 AM »
The making of a monster.

Very very very nice Stig! Well done!

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 02:49:05 AM »
Thanks Stig! We can always count you to bust out the knowledge and the awesome graphics. Very glad you are on this forum, as well as all the other folks with the great info.  I'm going to give it another shot sometime this weekend.
   I will say, I never should have test rode that People GT300i a month ago. That thing was SO NICE! I'm now thinking I may sell my Like and buy one of those. The extra CC's would be really nice. And of course the seat was pretty darn comfy! I had the opportunity to buy one new for about $4000 from a place that was getting out of the scooter business and just sticking to selling motorcycles. This was before I bought my Like.

I will keep everyone updated on my seat, ride safe, mscmkr

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()