Author Topic: Hello to all...  (Read 4018 times)

czechphotoguy

• View Profile
Hello to all...
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:14:08 PM »
Yes I know this isn't the place to start with intros but after a almost 9 year hiatus I have dove back in and purchased a 2004 blue Super 9.

Got it at a great deal here in Denver and I plan on doing to it what I did to my old 2004 that I had to sell back in 2007.

I knew I would get one I just didnt know exactly when I would get it.  So next I plan on going out and purchasing all the parts and kits to get it up to the 70cc speed kit.

Do any and all of you have suggestions of where is the best place to go to get the parts and which place will have a "full" kit to put on the bike?

I have all the tools and the patience to do the work myself as I did it before but when I sold the old bike I also included all my notes and stuff for my upgrade to the person who purchased the bike.

Thanks,
Ross

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
Re: Hello to all...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:34:30 PM »
Dunno who sells stage kits for the Super9 specifically but I get my parts from Racingplanetusa, mopedhospital and stooterworks
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

czechphotoguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:17:30 AM »
Dunno...but I get my parts from Racingplanetusa, mopedhospital and stooterworks

Stooterworks or Scooterworks out of Chicago?

Ross

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:21:08 PM »
Yup that was a misspelling. Heres the site I was talking about

http://www.scooterworks.com/
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

czechphotoguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:36:18 AM »
Thanks for the initial help...now the real questions.

Originally I wanted to do the 70cc upgrade but honestly from how it's performing I don't know if I really need it.

It's running a good clip between 40-50mph depending on grade of hill.

So if I don't want to do the 70cc upgrade what all should I probably do to it besides the exhaust?

Variator, Kevlar belt, clutch...etc?

I am a tall guy 6'3" 230lbs and I am going to use this around Denver as my street photography commuter as driving my car just becomes a hassle when I want to park and shoot.

A lot of the streets I traverse on are 45mph so I would like to up-tune the scoot so I can keep a constant 45mph+ speed.

Thanks for the help

Ross
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:57:15 AM by czechphotoguy »

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
Start with exhaust, variator and contra spring. Dont forget to upjet. IMO this is the best setup you can do that is bolt on beside a BBK.
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

czechphotoguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »
Do you have specific part numbers or such of which variator and other parts to get?

Also as far as exhaust goes.  If I take the stock muffler off and it still has the restrictor "Venturi" or washer thingy at the end of it that goes into the engine head.  Will it help much if I do take that off with a disc grinder and un-restrict it?

And what in the aftermarket exhausts make them be better than the stock?

Ross

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:31:51 PM »
Go to racingplanetusa.com and enter your model for specific parts. I dont know of the specific restrictions on your scooter. Dont forget with any change in air going to the engine eg new exhaust you have to upjet the carb
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 04:59:28 AM »
245luigi... You have the right approach but you deal w/ the most F'd up suppliers on the planet!

Go to Louie at SPI  Scooter Parts International
http://www.spi-parts.com/

Tell him Zombie sent ya from Kym Forum.  Pm me and I'll give you my account name w/ Louie so you can get wholesale pricing once you sort out what you need

You can also talk to Josh at scooter invasion or The Scooter Garage  or PM/email Word Slinger from here.
They have the part numbers, and all the different levels of performance you will want for that bike
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »
This is why I need your infinite wisdom zombie!

So whats the lowdown on racingplanetusa then? I havent had a problem so far. Their prices are high but they carry parts that I havent found else where and are willing to let me return parts if they say they'll fit my bike but they end up not.
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

czechphotoguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »
So as far as the Contra spring is there a specific color that I should get?

Now also understand that I haven't had a chance to look "under the hood" yet at my Sup9 and see what the previous owner did to it.  It will keep a good constant 45mph on the flats and I can get to 55 on slight downhills.  So I know something has been done to it so far.

My goal is more top end speed.  I don't care about off the line as I really am not using this as a racer.  I want to also have better constant speed when going up hills.

I plan on tearing apart the bike this weekend and looking into it and seeing what I already do have and then go from there.

Ross

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »
This is why I need your infinite wisdom zombie!

So whats the lowdown on racingplanetusa then? I havent had a problem so far. Their prices are high but they carry parts that I havent found else where and are willing to let me return parts if they say they'll fit my bike but they end up not.

They constantly lie about what is in USA inventory. The site says it is in stock until you place the order, and THEN they tell you 2 weeks shipping (over seas)
Stage Six parts are the only hard to find parts in the US but there are other sources.

The other issue I have is you can save HUNDREDS of dollars but they do not volunteer the info. Make up ANY company name, and list as a wholesaler w/ them. They require NO numbers or paperwork because they are Germany based. Just pay your sales tax upon checkout.

I just don't like being lied to every time I place an order. If you don't stock it... Don't list it as "In Stock"
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
So as far as the Contra spring is there a specific color that I should get?

Now also understand that I haven't had a chance to look "under the hood" yet at my Sup9 and see what the previous owner did to it.  It will keep a good constant 45mph on the flats and I can get to 55 on slight downhills.  So I know something has been done to it so far.

My goal is more top end speed.  I don't care about off the line as I really am not using this as a racer.  I want to also have better constant speed when going up hills.

I plan on tearing apart the bike this weekend and looking into it and seeing what I already do have and then go from there.

Ross

The best suggestion I have is do a compression test, and see what you have. It should be 120psi or better.
Then as you said make a list of what is NON OEM on the bike.
45 flat sounds stock to me so you may have alot of options.
How does acceleration feel/sound? Do you have one steady rpm from a dead stop to full throttle? Or is there a point it feels like it "shifts" gear.
What are the top speed rpm's? What are the cruise speed rpm's? Factory carb/airbox? Factory pipe?

Most important... How much mulla ($$$) do you want to put into it?

No matter what you do to it 55-60 is about top speed for the engine/gearing. Josh or slinger would know if shorter gears are available.
 Sooooo Bottom line is you can make more power, and get better Accel., higher cruise, and smoother transition of the cvt but to know where to begin you have to answer those questions i posted

czechphotoguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 06:19:03 PM »

The best suggestion I have is do a compression test, and see what you have. It should be 120psi or better.

How does acceleration feel/sound? Do you have one steady rpm from a dead stop to full throttle? Or is there a point it feels like it "shifts" gear.
What are the top speed rpm's? What are the cruise speed rpm's? Factory carb/airbox? Factory pipe?

Most important... How much mulla ($$$) do you want to put into it?

No matter what you do to it 55-60 is about top speed for the engine/gearing. Josh or slinger would know if shorter gears are available.
 Sooooo Bottom line is you can make more power, and get better Accel., higher cruise, and smoother transition of the cvt but to know where to begin you have to answer those questions i posted

Acceleration feels constant to me but I do feel at certain points it does "shifts gears".

Haven't checked the top or cruise rpm's so I will test that out this weekend when it's warmer.

I will check and do a compression test on it this weekend also.

It's the factory air box and pipe.  Will look at the carb but I would guess it's stock also.

I was also planning on checking on the roller weights and figuring out if they we're stock or not or at least finding out what weight they are.

As far as money goes, lets just say I hate the word "frugal"

;D

Ross
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:25:51 PM by czechphotoguy »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:35 PM »
You are on the right track... Since you feel a "shift", that is the torsion pulley in the rear opening. There is a fine line to balancing the CVT correctly. You want that pulley to open as LATE as possible. BUT the rollers will have a definite effect on that timing.
 Do the Comp test first thing. Then determine if your cruise/top end rpm's are correct for your weight, and the area you ride. That will determine if your rollers are correct. Lighter makes higher rpm, and heavier makes lower rpm.
After you get the correct rollers you can decide which contra spring is needed. Usually (but not always) the lightest aftermarket = OEM, and they get stiffer from there.
For most people 180-200 lbs. the two stiffest springs are what is needed. I have 2 bikes, and both have red stage 6 (stiffest you can get). One is a 4T, and the other a 2T so the bike doesn't matter. It's about weight, and momentum. 
Engine condition, and rpms will decide what rear spring will work

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()