Author Topic: How fast should my ZX50 be going after mods?  (Read 26453 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: How fast should my ZX50 be going after mods?
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »
Nothing much shakin, just been workin!  Thanks for the info!  I checked out ebay and found what I need.  They are 16T X 32T primary gears, they call it a 6.923:1 ratio, those are the ones I found for the Kymco DJY as well.  The nice thing is they don't have to be pressed in either, might not be as big of a job as I was expecting!  Bad news is they are $157 w/ shipping!  Just thinking about gears.  Any ideas why the stock gears are diagonal cut when straight cut is supposed to be better?  What's the advantage of a diagonal cut gear? 

Here's the link to the gears:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLINI-PRIMARY-DRIVE-GEARS-DIO-SA50-SR50-SK50-GEARS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518d3694efQQitemZ350261515503QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:01:38 AM by Shaka »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »
There is something wrong with my cookies or something! I can't find replies unless I go back to the topic. Sorry for the delay. The angle cut is intended to produce a "pre-load" on one side of the case. The thought is to control gear wear with controlled friction. The draw back is wasted energy in the sideways pushing on the gears. Straight cut will put all the energy to the output shaft. The advantage of a quality set will be in the steel used, so wear is reduced below that of an oem set. I just looked at the link, and it has the same info Billy gave me about the gear oil so I would assume it is the same setup. This is where you will need the 5.5gr rollers, and the heaviest clutch springs to keep your bottom end. I put all my cvt stuff in tues. night, WOW. I couldn't believe the difference. It's back to spinning the rear wheel on hard dirt. I haven't run top end yet. I was waiting for the tire, which I installed last nite. OFF TO THE RACES!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2009, 03:27:56 AM »
I understand the side loading of the gear, but not exactly why it would need to be.  I found the Polini gear set online for $112, but I also found a compatible Malossi set with the same number of teeth as the Polini for $95 from malossiusaonline.com.  I may end up doing the Malossi.  The only thing I'm wondering about is whether the Malossi set needs to be pressed, they say the Polini doesn't.  I'm gonna have to do a bit more research and possible make some calls.  Glad to hear your back in tip top shape Zombie.  We might have to have a ZX50 showdown soon!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2009, 05:36:07 AM »
Give Malossi a call. They have answered every question I have had for them! What do you say we race toward each others state. Meet somewhere around the middle. If train A leaves chicago at 4:15 pm,... Where do they bury the survivors? I found a cool trick for "pressing" gears. You can put the shaft in the freezer overnight, and put the gear in your oven for 2 hours at 275-300 degrees. The gear will fall onto the shaft! I have been doing this on stern drives (marine gear sets) for 20 years. 60mph watch out...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2009, 12:06:14 AM »
Who have you called, malossionlineusa?  If we race towards each other, I might want the slower scoot!  Make you ride further! ;D  I've seen that trick for installing crank bearings, never thought to use it for the gears.  The only problem is I'd have to remove the entire engine and put it in the oven!  I might be able to slowly/carefully heat it with a torch if need be.  Hopefully, pressing the gears is not an issue!  I did use that neat little cooling trick to remove a seized seat post from a bicycle frame today at work!  I used CO2 cartridges to cool the seat post and was able to get it out!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2009, 03:15:28 AM »
NAW man, just the shaft. All the gears will fall out of the case when you open it. It,s the opposite of crank bearings. Nothing in the final drive gear set is pressed in the case (except bearings)  And YES man malossiusaonline. Just ask for Tech support. Even though zx/super isn't listed on the web site for allot of parts it is still in their data base/catalogs. Just make sure to get a new case gasket, and seals. Maybe another 20 bucks. I found MOST of the seals you will ever use are made by Federal Mougul so they can be matched at any good auto parts supply. Here's one for global warming. I used to use freon (r-12) for freezing prop shafts (2"&above) to remove couplers, and props. I posted before my REAL name is Barok, and I live in D.C. if anyone needs to talk to me about their vanishing waterfront property. Ps I was gonna ride the nc/50!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2009, 05:03:40 AM »
You won't hear any complaints from me, no waterfront property! ;)  Looking at the diagrams, it appears that all I will need are two oil seals and a gasket.  I may end up pulling it apart before I order any parts so I know exactly what I will need!  I'm working on the project Vento as transportation to and from work as I may be without the zx for a little bit while the gears are being replaced.  I made some good progress yesterday.  I finally got an air box for it so I can begin working on getting the carb tuned correctly!  PS.  No fair on the NC/50 it's supposed to be a showdown!  I wonder if my PO will give me permission to leave the state for this?! ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »
Just get on that scoot, and RUN!!! I raced the electric cop car here in town, and beat them hands down. They have a modern looking golf cart sort of thing they use to patrol the main part of town. I can just see the chase scene on World News Tonight! Good to here you are getting the Vento running! I have loads of assorted scooter parts if you need something odd just let me know.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2009, 08:19:20 PM »
The bad news is i'm currently sitting on the side of the road waiting for a ride! Pretty sure i blew the motor! I was just riding along and the engine sound changed and i rolled to a stop and it died! It seems i have no compression! Only time will tell! On a positive note the vento should be able to get me to work!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »
I figured out the problem.  The motor is fine! ;D  The expansion plug I used to seal off the oil pump hole popped out!  Now I gotta figure out how to make sure it doesn't happen again!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »
It may be the rubber the plug is made of is NOT fuel proof. If it feels softer than it did new, that particular plug may not work! Glad to here it was only that though. Maybe disassemble your old pump to get only the part you need to plug the hole? Here's another Home made set up that may help also. I have rigged up a small home type drill press to use as a lathe before. You can then get a piece of aluminum stock, or even hard plastic for that matter, and turn it to the size you need. It is easy enough to rig cutting tools to cut "o" ring slots, and all that. You could drill & tap for a 3/8" bolt in one end to use in the chuck of the drill, and if your stock is close enough to finished size you can probably use 60-80 grit emory cloth, and oil to get the fit. Thought of the day is "It's all easy if you look at the base components"   On another note I'm down to four pups w/ one going to my daughter. With yours, and slingers that leaves one... Where's my bus schedule?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2009, 01:21:07 AM »
I'm thinking it's probably not fuel proof.  It was softer than when it was new.  It was an engine freeze plug, so I figured it may work.  I guess those only come into contact with coolant though.  I bent the original mounting bracket to keep pressure on the plug.  This will hopefully keep it from popping back out until I can figure out something more permanent.  The way that oil pump mounts is sooo STUPID!!!  I like the drill press/lathe tip!  I will keep that in mind, I'm hoping for one for x-mas!

Ps. I'm still good on the pup situation!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2009, 02:32:21 AM »
It's all good Bro! If Santa comes to my house the dogs will get him, and I'll check to see if there is anything you can use!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2009, 05:11:33 AM »
Hopefully santa carries around scooter parts!  I talked to Dio Burnout over on scooter invasion.  He sent me the link to the oil pump plug he used on his Dio over in Japan.  http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.kn926.com/ss132.html.  I sent them an email to see about ordering one.  It looks like a nice piece of CNC goodness!  It's 1900 yen or about $20 according to DB.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2009, 02:21:26 AM »
...i just aint having any luck with those google translate frickin pages...dang...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()