Author Topic: How fast should my ZX50 be going after mods?  (Read 26495 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: How fast should my ZX50 be going after mods?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 01:55:45 AM »
No Prob. At all Bro! Reeds will run you around 40 bucks, so I would wait till you can get the cage too. The cage comes w/ 2 reed set-ups. It WILL improve what you have,BUTTTTT the few extra $'s on a BETTER set will impress you. It's ALMOST the same as doing the cdi de-restrict. The proper reed set up IS impressive. I was just thinking you may need a puppy to "scoot" w/ you... I believe Greyhound will transport a BEAUTIFUL Pitpei. If you run the stock cage, and buy Aftermarket reeds on a 70cc, the diff. WONT be worth the $';s ... I just thought of a name for the pup        MASS IRUDIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 04:09:14 AM »
I guess I'll just run it with the new manifold till I get some more cash.  There are so many things I want to buy!  I would really like a tachometer, and my headlight just burned out on my way home tonight!  I think I found a HID headlight conversion!  As for the puppy, thanks, but I have two already and that's PLENTY!  Not a bad name though! ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »
Let me know what you find for the headlite. I have a 35w halogen that isn't much better than a flashlight. The pup will be there around 7:30 am... (just kidding)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »
No Prob. At all Bro! Reeds will run you around 40 bucks, so I would wait till you can get the cage too. The cage comes w/ 2 reed set-ups. It WILL improve what you have,BUTTTTT the few extra $'s on a BETTER set will impress you. It's ALMOST the same as doing the cdi de-restrict. The proper reed set up IS impressive. I was just thinking you may need a puppy to "scoot" w/ you... I believe Greyhound will transport a BEAUTIFUL Pitpei. If you run the stock cage, and buy Aftermarket reeds on a 70cc, the diff. WONT be worth the $';s ... I just thought of a name for the pup        MASS IRUDIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..there it is again....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »
Zombie- You're right about the headlight not being much better than a flashlight!  Especially now I can run 50+ mph!   Here's a link to the headlight I was looking at:  http://www.justformotorsports.com/products.php?product=12V-18W-HID-Xenon-Headlight-Conversion-Kit#.  I sent them an email to see if the base was the same BA20D as the stock bulb, from the picture it looks right.   Either way it looks like it will require a bit of modification, not as much as others I've seen though!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
..have either of you guys ever seen one of these in use??

..does it "project" outward, or is it still at the mercy of the reflector for beam dispersion...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »
I have not actually seen one.  It appears to just pop into the stock bulb fixture.  It won't be as good as running it in a projector, but it's still a freakin bright bulb!  Gotta put out more light than the stock setup!  Oh yeah, my dash does have lights!  Just checked while I had the dash off messing with the headlight.  They are both burned out, I never even knew they were there!  Thanks Zombie! ;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 06:49:35 PM »
..I saw that it said 18watt...is that just the lamp?

..how much does the ballast draw, i wonder...

..they have a 35 watt setup also..did you see that?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:52:00 PM by wordslinger »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 08:32:04 PM »
Wow 80 bucks for a lite! Slinger has a good point I wonder if the TOTAL draw is 18w or if the bulb is rated at 18. The zx stator is rated at 35 w for the head lite I actually figured it at 32.5 so even the factory bulb is not getting feed enough juice. I believe that is why they blow soo often. I guess if they last forever it is a bargin. I'll try to find out more along w/ what you guys find, someone will figure if it is worth the money!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 08:43:32 PM »
...what about the heat...my experience is that metal halide lamps burn very hot...hmmm...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »
I believe the entire system only draws 18w.  I have any aftermarket setup on my car, and they only run off 35w apiece, and they are bright as sh*t!  The heat is something that could pose a potential problem.  I think I remember reading something about not using them in a plastic enclosure when I was shopping for the ones for my car.  I also recall there being a minimum clearance to the sides of the housing, shouldn't be an issue on the ZX, there is plenty of room inside there. 

On another note;  I just finished customizing a headlight to use in the mean time.  Those stock bulbs are somewhat hard to come by locally, so I made one fit!  I used a Sylvania 893 12.8V 37.5W bulb I believe used for fog lights.  The base of the bulb was 24mm the stock connector is 20mm, so I just dremeled off 2mm on each side of the bulb base and it fits in nice and snug!  Then I just ran the wires directly to the bulb.  It is way brighter than the stock bulb!  I'm hoping heat is not an issue with this as well!  They also have that bulb available in the Silverstar as well, they cost 3X as much though and I didn't know if was going to work yet so I got the standard.  Anyway, big long link to the bulb I used below.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?skuDescription=Sylvania+/+Bulb+-+Fog+Light&categoryDisplayName=Electrical+%26+Lighting&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=1058_0_0_&productId=1058&sortType=&parentId=57-0&filterByKeyWord=893&isSearchByPartNumber=true&navValue=15701489&categoryNValue=15799999&fromWhere=&itemId=1489-0&displayName=Bulb+-+Fog+Light&store=448&searchText=893&brandName=Sylvania

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »
Thats the same as the H-3 w/ a different base...I believe. It's what I have now. I found I had to turn the bulb to get a good alignment on the reflector. But I still wish I had something better.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 09:30:45 PM »
It is similar to an H3, appears bigger though.  I tried rigging an H3 in there a while back and it melted the base a little!  This seems like it will work much better!  I also got some dash lights, I remember having them hooked up when I first got the scoot, they didn't illuminate very well.  I got some blue ones, cause they were cheaper.  I'll let you know how it goes, just waiting for dark!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
..i too have rigged up a light similar to that one...think it's a h9 @ 35 watt...it has a 90 degree angled connector base...way brighter than the stock lamp, but it is a single element...I only used the high beam most of the time..I liked the way it spread better than low...But I did adjust it reflector to where i don't blind the ppl in front of me..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »
I just test ran my new lights, and holy crap!  They're awesome!  I never had dash lights, they're sweet!  The headlight is way brighter!  I probably need to adjust the aim on it a bit, but I can actually see where I'm going! :o

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()