Author Topic: How fast should my ZX50 be going after mods?  (Read 26494 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: How fast should my ZX50 be going after mods?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
I got my new intake manifold from Moped Hospital today.  I wasn't expecting it, but it also came with a 4 petal reed block! :o  It is going to take some slight modification to install it.  I have to enlarge the mounting holes on the inlet by about 2-3 mm on each side because the holes in the carb are closer together, shouldn't be a big deal though.  I also have to figure out installing a fitting for my vacuum line.  It's not that big of a deal, but I can't find anyone locally that has a 1/8" barbed hose nipple!  I'm waiting for the rain to stop for a bit so I can go out and look for one. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2009, 12:51:56 AM »
AWESOME set-up!!! Who's is that, I mean Manuf. I think I will be NEEDING THAT! You may just have to get into jetting again w/ all that extra airflow. WHEN DOES IT ENDDDDDDDDDDD...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2009, 02:32:16 AM »
It is made by Motorio part #17100-KC-0000.  I'm pretty happy with it! ;D  I got the hole elongated, but finding a small fitting for the vacuum has been difficult!  Steve @ Moped Hospital said; I can either run it with a syringe on the vacuum line, essentially locking the petcock open, or install a barbed fitting.  He also said to try and put the fitting through the flange.  I'm not sure exactly why, other that it is thicker there.  The problem is the flange is only 10mm wide, so I would need a very small fitting!  I may have to put the fitting right behind the flange, then grind it smooth on the inside.  I'm still trying to come up with something that will work well.  I'm hoping I don't have to get into re-jetting!  At least I have all of the main jets!  It is never ending!!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2009, 02:54:22 AM »
The closer to the flange the better the vacuum will be. How about a 1/8th od tube JB Welded into place. A barb fitting will be HUGE on the threaded end. In fact the old school carb you have, has the fitting you need. I know I saw it!!! I will bet dollars to dough nuts you will get 4-5mph top end, and get there quicker... I have to find a way to N.C.. You gots it goin onnnnn. CONGRATTTTTSSSSS!!!!!   Oh yeah; Greyhound has a two for one puppy transport deal (something about the holidays) so I will send your's ,and slingers together...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 05:08:22 AM »
Once again Zombie, Thanks for the ideas!  That fitting from the carb worked perfect! ;D  As for the puppy, really, I'm good!  Send both right on through to Slinger! ;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 11:34:19 AM »
Once again Zombie, Thanks for the ideas!  That fitting from the carb worked perfect! ;D  As for the puppy, really, I'm good!  Send both right on through to Slinger! ;)

..woah...wait...what???..when did I get in this puppy thing...I gotta go back and read some more...dang...

..take a day off and you get puppies....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »
Mass Iridium too all!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »
I got the manifold installed.  However, I have issues!  I think I either have an air leak and/or I need to up-jet the idle jet.  It revs up real high just sitting!  Also, I'm gonna have to figure out something for the air filter, not enough clearance anymore.  It will work if I can find one with an angle or an adapter, I might make one! ;)

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2009, 02:24:30 AM »
I had an air leak, which seems to be fixed.  I had to back the mix screw all the way out, and adjust the idle down all the way.  I definitely need to up-jet the idle, but I think it should be ok till I can get a jet.  I haven't ridden it yet, due to pouring rain all day!  It sure sounds like a beast though!  I'm pretty sure that made a huge difference!  I also need to figure out something for my air filter, I can force it on around the outside of the rear shock, but it won't stay.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2009, 06:49:46 AM »
Do you still have the stock air box? I had the same problem, and found the snorkel from the stock box fixed it! It has just enough offset to clear the shock. It even fit into the air filter like they were made for each other. Ps. Indian shellac is real good around the intake gaskets. Old school...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 07:21:41 AM »
Funny you should mention, I actually used the hose off the stock air box!  I dremeled off the the flange on the box side and used Gorilla Glue to attach it to my K&N!  Almost like it was meant to be!  I don't really want to use adhesive to attach the gasket, because I will have to remove the manifold to take off the carb.  I can no longer get to the inside bolt with it mounted.  I might use some type of sealer on the base gasket though, that's where my leak was.  Seems good now though.  What's indian shellac?  Like the stuff you use on furniture?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 07:30:04 AM »
No. It's an old school gasket sealer. Comes in a small bottle w/ a brush like the ones in pvc cement. About 2.99 a bottle at most auto parts. The BEST stuff to use on all gaskets is OMC Perfect Seal. It will stay soft for ever. Kinda like peanut butter. You can get that at marine supply places. Did you use the snorkel as a fix? Or is that not the answer. Its funny we seem to get the same ideas on alot of stuff! When I posted to slinger about a hot air riser that was the part I had in mind because of the nipple cast into it.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »
I'll keep that sealer in mind.  Would the OMC Perfect Seal allow me to take the manifold apart without tearing the gasket?  If so that might be the way to go!  Yes, I did use the snorkel off the stock air box.  I'm very happy with the result, should work perfectly!  That nipple would be great as a heat riser inlet!  Have you used those welding tip cleaners to open up the idle jet?  I'm not sure they are small enough.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:59:09 PM by Shaka »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »
I got a set of micro drill bits 0.25mm-1.25mm, $5 @ Harbor Freight!  Hopefully one of them is the size I need to open up the idle jet.  I definitely need to basically start over on my carb tuning.  It's not running all that great.  I actually lost about 4-5mph top speed with the current adjustments, I hoping it can be corrected!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2009, 12:19:12 AM »
The micro drills MUST be used w/ a HAND tool like an exacto knife holder. If you put them in a cordless they will SNAP! Solder works to close any jets that went too far. OMC will stay soft, but I ALWAYS use a razor to get it apart. If you can "glue" it to one surface all the better, and the tip cleaners are small enough to go BELOW the stock jet sizes. The set I have is in a blue anodized aluminum "case". There are 16 sizes. They are actually wire files. It is a little hard to get one started in a jet, but they do work. I think they cost 20. bucks. They will last a lifetime though. Cheaper than assorted jets you will never use. Your pict shaka is the exact set up I am using. I remember slinger posting the K&N Filt. was 40. bucks.. The one I bought was 9.99. The flange you cut off, fit right into the Filt. I have. I can only say YOU GUYS RROOCCKK!! I can only hope to get my a** to N.C., and HIT THE SCENE!!!!!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()