Author Topic: How fast should my ZX50 be going after mods?  (Read 26474 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: How fast should my ZX50 be going after mods?
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2009, 03:56:31 AM »
The set I got has 20 bits that can be used by hand, they have a large shank w/ the tiny tips.  They are pretty neat!  I'm wondering about the size I need.  How are the numbers on the jets related to the hole size?  I compared my bit sizes to some of my main jets and they don't quite make sense. ??? Example; my 60 jet fits the 0.6mm fit loosely, but the 0.75mm almost fits, it's probably about 0.7mm but I don't have that size.  My 100 jet doesn't fit the 1.0mm bit.  The 0.9mm bit fits the 100 jet, and almost in the 95, not at all in the 90.  I guess my concern is that I won't have the right size bit.  My set doesn't have every size in increments of 0.05mm like the jets go.  All I can really do is pull out the jet and go one size bigger according to what bit size I have and hope it works!  I'm really not looking forward to having to re-tune the carb, especially now that it is going to be much more difficult to remove it!  When will it end?!!

Zombie- I also looked at a set of the torch tip cleaners, but I don't think it was as nice as the one you have .  It didn't have that many different sizes in it.  As for the filter, the end that went into the stock box had a double flange.  I just ground down the flange closest to the end to allow a longer piece to glue.  It also fit right inside my K&N, I just wanted a bit more surface area to bond to.  I think my filter was $25 with shipping from K&N online.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2009, 04:26:42 AM »
Yeah Bro, I gave up on REAL jet sizes. Between metric, and imperial, and Manuf. custom sizes. As I like to say "FORGET ABOUT IT". Or FOGET BOW EEAT. That's where an electric stove helps. If I go too far on a jet I put it on the stove until it is hot enough to melt solder ALL the way through. You also need to use FLUX. Ruby fluid is the BEST I have found. It is an acid compound that will burn off most impurities. And YEAH, I did the same w/ the flange end. Cut it off to allow it to seat against the carb. If we can find two PRO riders to race scoot against scoot, I'll go for it. At 50 years old I would have a hard time competing w/ you. Especially now. You gots your sh*t together. I want the intake you have. JUST TO SEE! Hey Ps. WHEN DOES IT END.....................................................Oh yeah another ps. DON'T use a power drill on the jets. Do it by hand. Kinda like tapping a thread.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2009, 04:36:51 AM »
I found some more info on jet sizing. Kehin jets go by the millimeter size ie. 75 = 0.75mm, 105 = 1.05mm.  Then some other carbs like Mikuni use a size rating based on flow ie. 75 = 75 ml/min, 105 = 105 ml/min.  I'm guessing that my Arreche jets are one of the ones that is sized by flow and not diameter.  That makes it difficult!  I'll just have to use the next biggest size bit, and hope it works!

Zombie-  Why do you want my intake, if we did exactly the same thing?  I'm pretty your scoot would whoop up on mine!  Mines only going 47mph right now, and not a smooth throttle either!  I had it pretty good, till I decided I wanted to go faster! ;D  I'm hoping not to have to attempt the soldering trick.  If I do, be sure I'll be hitting you up with some more questions!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »
F*ck!!!  I broke the bit off in the jet!!!! >:(  I wasn't even forcing it or anything, the thing is just sooo small, it just snapped off!!  I can't get it out either!  I'm gonna have to have some jets overnighted so I can get my scoot running ASAP, it's my only transportation!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2009, 09:15:43 PM »
...dang... :-\

..dude that sucks...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:54:51 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2009, 04:41:18 AM »
You may be able to heat the jet to get it to expand just enough to twist the tip out. Maybe a cut off sewing needle will help to push it back! Also try looking around on Craigs list for a "back up" scoot. I bought two non running Honda nc/50's w/ an extra engine, for 150. bucks. You may find something if you keep at it!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2009, 05:31:10 AM »
I tried about everything to get it out, it broke off flush!  Tried to push it out with a needle, no luck!  I thought about heating it up, but just gave up!  I realized even if I did get it out, I'd have to solder it and I have no way to go get solder.  I had some pilots overnighted from Provoscooter.  I should be back in business by Sunday for sure. 

I've done the Craigslist back up scoot idea.  I just need to get that one put back together!  I had to straighten the crown on the fork and I haven't had a chance to put it back on.  I'm sure it needs a bit more work, but I think I've taken care of the major problems.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2009, 08:33:05 AM »
I forgot, Don't You also have a Vento? What's going on w/ that?

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »
I had the Vento running and discovered the front fork was badly bent on the first test ride!  I put it on the back burner while saving up for a new crown and steer-tube assembly,and got back into tweaking the ZX.  Then I came up with an idea for straightening the crown.  I found some steel pipe that clamped into the crown in place of the stanchions, put the whole thing in the fork jig at work, and torqued the sh*t out of them till the crown was straight!  I've been sick all week, plus the torrential rain, so I haven't gotten the fork back on the bike yet!  Hopefully that is all I need to get it going except for some minor stuff.  I need an air filter, front panel and headlight.  I will probably have to mess with the carb a bit, possible upjet, depending on what I do for an air filter.  I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep it or sell it, I'm trying to put as little money into it as possible.  Honestly, it will probably turn into my next big project though!  There is so much potential with that platform as a base!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
What would be a good pilot jet to try first?  I really don't want to take apart all manifold and carb again, if it's avoidable!  I had a 20 in there, should I try the 25, or go straight to 30, I am also getting a 35.  I'm thinking of going with the 30 first and hope that's the magic jet, just wanted another opinion.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
It's REALLY hard to say shaka. I have a Delorto, and have NO idea how they "rate" their jets. I have a 44 pilot. That I opened even further. I do run VERY rich at idle to 1/4 throttle, almost to the point of fouling but I do it to keep the piston cool on de-accell. My GUESS would be the 35. You may have to keep the throttle open a tiny bit when slowing down, but I think better than too lean. I found at ACE hardware they have 10-15 different air filters for lawn mowers. I use a briggs&stratton filter that pushes right over the carb on my nc/50. (thinking about the vento) it costs 1.95 and I change it ALL the time. Also I haven't done any jetting on the honda. Just moved the needle up 1 spot. If you want to post a Pict of the front panel you need I may be able to Repair/ make one for you. I have some extra materials from a '56 Chriss Craft Sedan I am restoring, and I'm sure the effort will be appreciated. No charge, Just pay to ship what you need. Ps. Pay close attention to the needle setting on the zx. I had to fight w/ mine to get the right combo of jet vs position. You know it is all a balancing act!!! You may also want to consider removing your packing to allow the extra intake to exit. I got about 2-3 mph right there. I posted before though, My PEEP'S know where I am!

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2009, 09:34:37 PM »
Thanks for the input Zombie!  I suppose starting big and going smaller if needed isn't a bad idea.  I'm just waiting for the mail man now!
Thanks for the tip on the air filter, I'm not sure if there is an ACE anywhere close by, but I'll look into it.  I was thinking about just ordering another K&N, I like the sound of $1.95 though!  As for the front panel, thanks for the offer, but I don't even have a broke one.  I found a 150 Sunl scoot that uses the same mounting points.  It uses a cool looking dual headlight that should plug right in, and it's relatively cheap!  I was also thinking about removing the packing in the exhaust, it's just sooo loud already!  I may have to to get it to run right though!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »
You're sorta at the point of NO return. It's either roll w/ the flow, or fight every time you start it. Get it FLOW... Everything has to work together,or it is a big waste. A little weedwacker doing 60 IS a sight to behold. I have seen a pict. of a technigas mod I was thinking about. You cut off the down nipple on the end of the silencer, and drill 3/8" holes between the mounting studs. The packing can stay in place to reduce the high pitched resonance. Thats why I was using a few layers of fab matt instead of the angel hair the fact used. ALWAYS trying to get another reliable mph. Truth be told I think I am done w/ this engine. It is still reliable, and moves quicker than anything I have seen in it's class. I would still like to find a spare to SUPER MOD. Just wouldn't be an every day ride. That's why N.C. sounds like the place for me. There is a MUCH better community for scoot'in than there is here in N.W. Fla. In fact everything but the weather seems better on the other sieeeeeddd.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2009, 12:07:50 AM »
Definitely well past the point of no return!  I think once I get it running right, I'm done with this one too!  I doubt that will ever end though!  I do need to keep at least one reliable scoot around for my basic transportation.  I kinda wanted to Super MOD the Vento, but I think I'm going to keep it just about stock, possibly sell it, and wait till I can get a LC Super 9 to play with!  I've heard about the Technigas mod, I don't really like the idea of drilling holes in it.  I may end up re-packing it with something different though.  As for the weather in NC, it's gotta be better than living in a humid swamp!  Hard to say though, I've never been to Florida myself.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »
It's kinda sorta like being in a fat mans arm pit all day. Can you see the zx/50 headlite on the Ebay add? that's the color mine was...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()