Author Topic: Meaning of puma, panther, jaguar or other big cat icon when speeding  (Read 2597 times)

andyzines

• View Profile
Greetings!

I have a new Kymco Move 150, now at 124 miles. When running full throttle, I saw an indicator icon that looks like a running puma, panther, or jaguar with a slash through it. I haven't seen it when doing so before. Assuming it means to slow down, though can't find any documentation on it. I was doing about 50 MPH at the time, but also saw it a few times when doing less.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do when seeing this indicator, other than roll off the throttle.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does it eventually go away when riding at the same speeds, after the engine is broken in? Really hoping this bike will get to higher speeds, considering it's supposed to be freeway legal.

Thanks for your comments,
Andy
Andy
2013 Kymco Movie 150

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: Meaning of puma, panther, jaguar or other big cat icon when speeding
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
Doesn't the Owners Manual give you a description of what it is? I looked for an Owners Manual online but a quick search couldn't find one.
Wayne

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
Looking through several Kymco manuals I don't find any reference to the puma indicator. It may be that a warning letting you know you are exceeding the break-in recommendation which is not more than 1/2 throttle for the first 600 miles. I would call or email your country Kymco representative.

andyzines

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »
Thanks you guys, I appreciate your replies. I also couldn't find it anywhere, including the printed owner's manual. I may ask the dealer. I suspect the only meaning we'll know for sure is to "lay off the throttle already."

Have a good one,
Andy
Andy
2013 Kymco Movie 150

andyzines

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 01:50:59 AM »
Dealer believes the cat means the trunk is open. I don't have a trunk, so could be something else around there fluttering in the wind.

I do have bungee cord and cargo net fastened to seat with large hooks under the seat. Maybe that was enough to trigger something? Time will tell.
Andy
2013 Kymco Movie 150

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:16:14 AM »
From SYM Forum:

I test rode the same scooter, from our friendly folks at Scoot Over. I have a similar impression as Gitsum. I must add that it is a very pretty bike.

A humorous addition to the dash is a cheetah which lights up when you exceed 50mph. Very funny.

Comfortable bike. It handles well and I would recommend it for someone wanting a commuter that can still do some distance if called upon to do so.

"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 02:16:55 AM »
post a pict of what you are referring to. It may be an armadillo which means "put your helmet on"
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »
Since these Kymco's are shipped worldwide and lots are probably used in Africa, it could be to alert you that you are in danger and need to speed up because a cheetah can run faster than 50 mph indicated, and join you for lunch with you being the main course:)

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 01:38:34 PM »
You sure. It could be a raccoon and in tandem with the internal GPS it is warning of a raccoon crossing.
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »
Stupid Kymco!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 11:55:37 PM »
That symbol is likely an indicator that your seat is not fully closed.  On older Kymcos, the word "Metin" which means "pet" in Korean would light up.  Supposedly, people would transport their pets in the compartment under the seat, specifically cats - I don't believe it and my Manual specifically states to not transport pets in the space under the seat....LOL.  That symbol is a cat and means that the seat is not fully closed.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 12:36:50 AM »
It's called a cat carrier for a reason... Duh! ::)

andyzines

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 02:13:39 AM »
lol--i'd be afraid for my life if i tried to carry my cats on the scooter. one of them is like kujo when he's in a carrier.
Andy
2013 Kymco Movie 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()