Author Topic: Look what I found  (Read 849 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
Look what I found
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
Wayne

blue

• View Profile
Re: Look what I found
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
Good eye you got there. I would go over the whole bike ya never know..................

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 04:50:10 AM »
What??? are you out of you mind AGAIN Blue????
Never look too close at a factory built bike. That is a sure fire road to depression. Kick the tires, and light the fires. It's the only way to approach a scooter.

Well for real... Nice catch Wkreps. I have a piece of advice to offer on that intake manifold... Burn off the rubber, and you will have an aluminium core. Then use a piece of ethanol proof fuel coupling to attach the carb.
I bring this up because 1-2 years down the road the rubber on the manifold will crack, and fail introducing a huge air leak, and burnt valves.
Buy a spare one on fleabay or     http://www.partsforscooters.com/scooter-parts-diagrams/125cc-150cc-GY6-4-Stroke-Cylinder-Parts_2    so you can modify it
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
Never look too close at a factory built bike. That is a sure fire road to depression. Kick the tires, and light the fires. It's the only way to approach a scooter.

LOL YA im out of my mind.I did put a wildfire motor on my kymco frame and still takeing s--- it for it lol..............

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
Well for real... Nice catch Wkreps. I have a piece of advice to offer on that intake manifold... Burn off the rubber, and you will have an aluminium core. Then use a piece of ethanol proof fuel coupling to attach the carb.
I bring this up because 1-2 years down the road the rubber on the manifold will crack, and fail introducing a huge air leak, and burnt valves.
Buy a spare one on fleabay or     http://www.partsforscooters.com/scooter-parts-diagrams/125cc-150cc-GY6-4-Stroke-Cylinder-Parts_2    so you can modify it

It was very hard to cinch up. I did not get them completely together but it is much better than it was. Is this a known issue with Super8's?

Sorry but I'm still learning about scoots and the mechanics of them. A few questions.

1.) When you say intake manifold, you mean the tube running from the carb to the engine right?
2.) What does burning the rubber off accomplish. I can't think of an advantage to this.
3.) What would be a symptom of an air leak like this (ie, scoot won't start, bogging on acceleration, etc)?
4.) What do you call the tube on the other side of the carb (air intake tube?)?
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »

LOL YA im out of my mind.I did put a wildfire motor on my kymco frame and still takeing s--- it for it lol..............

Did you post Picts? I gotta see that...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »
The reason they wont "cinch" up is the intake manifold is the same one used on the 50cc scooters that have a much smaller carb.

The manifold is called an "intake tube" and is listed as kymco part # 1711A. It is the tube that connects the carb to the engine (cylinder head).

Without exception EVERY Asian scooter that has this part will have a failure there. Depending on climate, and use they may last as long as 5-6 years without cracking but many fail in 2-3 years.
Everyone here look at yours for cracking. Pull the carb left/right, and up/down while connected, and see.

The crux of the problem is there is an aluminum inner core that has the molded rubber covering it. It is a BITCH to get that rubber off the core but with patience it can be done. I cut most of it off with a razor knife, and burn the rest off in a coffee can with a few ozs. of gas. Quick clean up w/ a wire brush, and you now have a proper part. All you need is a 2.5" rubber tube to re connect the carb to the engine.

The main symptoms are high idle after warm up, and a noticeable lag time on returning to idle when stopping. If you see red or Very light brown deposits on your spark plug that is also a sign of this issue.... vacuum leak. If left un checked this will lead to burnt valve seats, low compression, and poor throttle response.

check your manifolds guys... You all will be amazed at how many are bad. My guess is EVERY scoot that is more than 4 years old will have cracking

This is what I use to make the new "tube" (coupler)   http://www.wholesalemarine.com/mpi-reinforced-vinyl-tubing.html?gclid=CNb98M3-4r0CFSwV7AodsH0Ahg

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()