Author Topic: Do you take any crap for riding a Scooter?  (Read 13641 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you take any crap for riding a Scooter?
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:13 AM »
Vivo? Have you been re reading my old posts?  The "what's this hole for" thread perhaps?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 04:24:22 AM »
This thread took a wild left turn.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2014, 04:44:51 AM »
This post was not about Harley riders. It was about does riding a scooter make us less of a man, or woman? We all know we are just as much man, or woman as anyone who rides a motorcycle with gears. Its all about the joy of riding. Some bikes are not built to go the freeway. Some are just built for riding around the city, or town which is fine. For most major cities and towns, a 125cc scooter is a good fit for getting around. For others it might a 250cc maxi scooter or higher. Whatever works for the rider is fine. Now go out there and ride. 8)
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »
So now you're calling me a weirdo for owning one of everything?? ;D

My smiles are just as big no matter what I'm riding, as long as I'm riding..

Inventory...
50 scooter
150 scooter
250 (one bike and one scooter)
400 scooter
650 bike
800 bike
1200 bike

(and no Harleys) ;)

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »

Inventory...
50 scooter
150 scooter
400 scooter
650 bike
800 bike
1200 bike

(and no Harleys) ;)

Weirdo = NO
Obsessed = Maybe  ;)
Wayne

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »

Inventory...
50 scooter
150 scooter
400 scooter
650 bike
800 bike
1200 bike

(and no Harleys) ;)

Hey, it never hurts to have a backup.....or 7!!  ;D
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »

Inventory...
50 scooter
150 scooter
400 scooter
650 bike
800 bike
1200 bike

(and no Harleys) ;)

In Wisconsin and NO Harley???
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:12:15 PM by bluesin »
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2014, 06:06:08 AM »
Inventory...
50 scooter
150 scooter
400 scooter
650 bike
800 bike
1200 bike
Thats quite a selection you got there. I could never choose which one I wanted to ride with that many.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2014, 01:50:49 AM »

In Wisconsin and NO Harley???

Nope.. I've ridden several, but they're not my style of riding.. I'm a feet under me style rider, not a feet out in front of me..
The only "Harley's" that ever interested me is the Buell Ulysses, but after riding them I just didn't like the engine heat. Great bike that should still be still be manufactured..

As far as picking which bike, it's all about what bike will do the ride in comfort, but is basically the minimum bike for the ride. The big BMW GS will do everything very well, but I have just as much fun with the KLR. Yeah, the 400 Yamaha Scooter will easily make my 10 mile ride to work, but I bought the Kymco cheap and I love the thought of making utilitarian use of a beat up, 9 year old 50cc scooter. :)

And the 800 is an almost 30 year old BMW Airhead and I've been a BMW rider for 30 years.. It's not because they're expensive, but because they're reliable and funky.. :) I love riding this bike..

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2014, 06:45:45 AM »
Nice, Paper. My favorite ride has 4 hooves and a very comfortable saddle with plenty of carrying capabilities ( saddlebags, etc. ) .  ;)
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
Nice, Paper. My favorite ride has 4 hooves and a very comfortable saddle with plenty of carrying capabilities ( saddlebags, etc. ) .  ;)

I work with several horse owners/riders.. For some reason I'm just not comfortable around them, other than head scratching and feeding them.. Just no desire to climb on their backs.. :)

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »
I work with several horse owners/riders.. For some reason I'm just not comfortable around them, other than head scratching and feeding them.. Just no desire to climb on their backs.. :)

They ARE Big animals, but _ I love 'em none the less . 8)

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2014, 02:15:12 PM »
Love the saddlebags. Looks like at one time it could have carried a reel to reel projector.
Wayne

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »
Love the saddlebags. Looks like at one time it could have carried a reel to reel projector.

Ha Ha!! They do have that look!! Now that I look at them I'm almost expecting to open them and see a movie projector from Grade School!! They're original for the time, but the R80 didn't come with them standard.. The handlebars are not original either, as the factory bars were taller and more swept back. I originally thought they were R90S bars, but I've compared them to others and I don't know what they are.

I actually hunted for that bike for 10 years I've had it for 6 since finding it in Kentucky. I had a 1982 R100RT and a 1986 R65 and sold both in an effort to find a plain jane R80 and have nothing but bags. I bet I bid on 2 dozen over the years on eBay, all going for a bit more than I'd give. This one was also a bid on eBay and the owner actually wanted $1000 more than my bid, but the Boss (his wife) told him he had to sell the BMW or the Harley, so he gave it to me at my bid price.  The factory seats on these are as comfortable as sitting on a rock, so I found the Corbin Touring seat over by Milwaukee. Other than standard maintenance, the only thing I've had to do was rebuild the carbs a couple years ago.. Parts are still fully available from Bing and I rebuilt them both in a couple hours with no parts left over!!! ;D

wkreps,
Since I know you're local, I thought I'd toss this out there for you and anyone else who might be interested..

http://wmgr.org/ Is the Wisconsin Moto Guzzi Riders Rally. They don't' care what you ride to the rally, with the mix of normally 300 folks being usually 1/3 Guzzi, 1/3 BMW, and 1/3 everything else.. I've ridden my Honda Helix, KLR, and various other bikes over there, including both of my Goldwings!! Great party!! They feed you pretty much all weekend, and if you're a microbrew lover, it's a must not miss!!! They have a couple standard beers going all the time and then they have 4 tappers that have microbrews rotated all weekend!!
And beer is included in the rally fee!!  I can't afford to stay home!!

And even though beer is free, the crowd isn't rowdy, but instead just a bunch of folks who enjoy beers, bikes, and BSing about both!! :) Great riding in the area, too!! Many of us jump on the bikes Saturday morning and go have breakfast in Platteville, and then wander the Mississippi before heading back later in the afternoon for dinner, beer, campfires, and laughter!!

I've been going to this rally for over 10 years and I won't miss it..

And enough hijacking.. Back to getting picked on for riding a scooter.. (speaking of that, a buddy of mine rides his Honda scooter down to this rally from Minnesota). This is a photo of both of our scooters at the Minnesota BMW Rally last year..

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2014, 06:36:32 PM »
A few co-workers razz me about riding my scooter, but hey, I have fun on it and enjoy every day I have on her.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()