Author Topic: Do you take any crap for riding a Scooter?  (Read 13969 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Do you take any crap for riding a Scooter?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
I'm one of those people who can never think of a clever response, to anything, until the next day or two.

Which is why you'll see me flipping up my face sheild and shouting something terrifically pithy at a passing squirrel who is.... not even looking at me..
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
When you have a Harley rider give you crap about your scooter just remember, insecurity rides the biggest, loudest bike they can find, Confidence rides whatever he wants to. If you need more proof, watch how many Harley riders ride with no helmet. Then notice that scooter rides almost always have helmets on. Could this be false bravado? Can't look cool wearing a helmet.......right?
     Every since I bought my scoot I have had people come up to me and ask about it. Or they will roll up next to me in an intersection and ask what the gas mileage is or what the brand is. I have had people take pictures of it sitting in a parking lot while I'm inside having breakfast. I have also had fathers ask if they can take a picture with there children sitting on it.
     I have had my scoot parked next to several Harley's and while I'm taking off my helmet, several people walked up and started complimenting me on it and didn't even notice the full dress Harley's sitting right there.
     I love my little scoot and have no problem riding it. And I don't care what other people think. Follow your passions and life will be so much better.

Ride safe, mscmkr

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 03:18:26 AM »
 I have had friends and family ask "why are you riding a girls bike?" I had a young
couple in a pick up truck point and snicker at me at a red light.
 On the same day, I had a Harley/Goldwing type touring bike guy not only wave, but gave me a thumbs up. HE GOT IT!! I am having a blast on my little blue and white plastic scooter. Nothing else matters.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 04:49:43 AM »
When I rode my scoot home for the first time several years ago my two youngest boy's were waiting in the driveway and their first words were "Dad you look gay on that thing".....but after I did a demo drive up and down the street..... their second words were "when do we get to ride it!"

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
You  guys are mean!! I'm now feeling really insecure..

I'm feeling so bad about myself I'm going to go ride my People 50 to work.. I hope I feel better by the time I get there.. :)

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
Yeah, I feel bad too just knowing that the ONLY reason I rode those high horsepower and torque cruisers, like my past VTX 1800, Suzuki 1500 Drifter, my dyno winning, 96 inch Harley and the last one, a Suzuki CR1800, with their performance exhaust, was  that  I was just insecure and had no idea, I could have saved a lot of money by just getting in touch with my feminine side, by eating chocolate kisses and watching Hallmark movies on Netflix, and just keeping my first little 50cc Zuma Scooter! Oh the humanity.

Maybe the reason some of you feel bad being the subject of stereotyping is because you do the same thing in your omnipotence. Karma can be a Beeeach.

Ride what you have and be nice to everyone you meet. LOVE one another, is the most important thing a person can do in this life.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 01:48:34 PM »
I lied. My KLR650 was in the way of getting the scooter out, so I rode it instead. :)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
Not many HDs around here. And their riders are said to engage in procuration, extortion and drug dealing.
BMW is the bike for physicians, lawyers and directors. Both groups don't care about scooterists.
But I get remarks for riding a Kymco scooter from Vespisti, Lambrettisti & Co.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 03:01:46 PM »
I was just insecure and had no idea, I could have saved a lot of money by just getting in touch with my feminine side, by eating chocolate kisses and watching Hallmark movies on Netflix, and just keeping my first little 50cc Zuma Scooter! Oh the humanity.

Maybe the reason some of you feel bad being the subject of stereotyping is because you do the same thing in your omnipotence. Karma can be a Beeeach.
Pokie, I'm tearing up just thinking about "chocolate kisses and watching Hallmark movies on Netflix". LOL
Wayne

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 03:10:13 AM »
I've gotten a few friendly ribbings about the scooter.
Mostly because my dart league team plays out of a biker bar. But the majority of them are friends, so it's just harmless fun.

I do get amused when a guy on a motorcycle waves going by, and then pulls his hand back real fast when he realizes it's a scooter.  :)

A wise man named Indian Larry once said," Ride what YOU like, and to hell with what anyone else thinks."

And a wise ass (me) once said," I don't need a big motorcycle. I'm secure with the size of my penis!"   ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:12:05 AM by DMblues01 »
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »
Nice link Zombie! I always did love Larry!
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:09 PM »
"Not many HDs around here. And their riders are said to engage in procuration, extortion and drug dealing."

Very biased and naïve comment.

The way you said the above it seems you think that ALL Harley riders engage in this behavior. It's a shame that you post this without saying: "In my opinion etc."

Only the 1% motorcycle club's (H angels, Vagos etc) are doing this stuff.

It's like saying all Kymco riders eat Sushi, blowfish and Kimchee:)

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »
Yeah, I feel bad too just knowing that the ONLY reason I rode those high horsepower and torque cruisers, like my past VTX 1800, Suzuki 1500 Drifter, my dyno winning, 96 inch Harley and the last one, a Suzuki CR1800, with their performance exhaust, was  that  I was just insecure and had no idea, I could have saved a lot of money by just getting in touch with my feminine side, by eating chocolate kisses and watching Hallmark movies on Netflix, and just keeping my first little 50cc Zuma Scooter! Oh the humanity.

Ride what you have and be nice to everyone you meet. LOVE one another, is the most important thing a person can do in this life.

Are you F'n with us? Really?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
Sorta but not much. Everyone else makes a bad choice in bikes, clothes, lifestyle etc but the ego makes us view ourselves under a different microscope. It's an "I'm okay you're not" kind of idea.

Jump ship and get a different kind of ride and all of a sudden you become the thing you loathed not long ago.

Bikes/ scooter's are just machines but the rider's are as different as those machines but we don't tolerate each other very well, do we? Judge not lest ye be judged is applicable.

The comment about the HD riders not wearing helmets (A very small percentage) is not accurate because it implied it was everyone.

The comment that scooter riders all wear helmets (Some do and some don't) is totally inaccurate in the town where I live because the little 49cc scooters don't require being registered, a motorcycle license, insurance (?) safety inspections nor a helmet etc.

ALMOST all of the scooter rider's I see from my storefront window,  right in the busy part of town, wear no helmet's and their passenger's don't either. When it's warm, a lot wear flip-flops, short pants and t-shirt's.

I just don't like naïve generalizations about any one or any thing as all it shows is prejudice and lack of real experience in a real world, from biased individual's.

2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()