Author Topic: Do you take any crap for riding a Scooter?  (Read 13613 times)

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Do you take any crap for riding a Scooter?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
I take a bit of ribbing from some people about the scooter, but I see it as an opportunity to educate the ignorant about the wonderfulness of scooters. The vast majority think that all scooters are the 49cc limited-to-35mph kind (a generalization born of stereotyping), and a vast majority are surprised when I tell them that I can top out at 62 mph and get 75-80 mpg. That changes their perspective in a hurry. Then they get really interested, and that's when I really tout the virtues of the scooter lifestyle and do the sell job. Think of it as "scooter evangelism"! :D
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
I take a bit of ribbing from some people about the scooter, but I see it as an opportunity to educate the ignorant about the wonderfulness of scooters. The vast majority think that all scooters are the 49cc limited-to-35mph kind (a generalization born of stereotyping), and a vast majority are surprised when I tell them that I can top out at 62 mph and get 75-80 mpg. That changes their perspective in a hurry. Then they get really interested, and that's when I really tout the virtues of the scooter lifestyle and do the sell job. Think of it as "scooter evangelism"! :D

That is how it is here in Vegas. The public has this image that all scooters are slow. When I driving in my cage, I see many scooter riders on their 49ccs with two passengers. Of course the majority are people riding the cheap Chinese bikes. Those small bikes are not designed to hold two people. Because of this the cagers think we are slow. This makes the rest of us who ride scooters look bad. Even in my classes, I tell everyone I ride a scooter. They think I must have one of the slow bikes. When I tell them I ride a 125cc bike that can easily do 55mph with no problems, they are blown away. They do not understand just how much fun scooters are to ride.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

andyzines

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »
Funny photo :)

I got a little ribbing in the Motorcycle Safety class, and everyone busted up at the instructor riding the little 125cc scooter around the course after our evaluation. Guess that pretty much indicates their attitude.

I would prefer if scooter riding had a more manly reputation (maybe because I'm also a male quilter!). My wife thinks it's hot, likes me in my gear. Can't complain about that ;). I got a scooter because it's automatic.

I have a friend who had a Honda Goldenwing but found it too stressful to ride in street traffic, with all the shifting and tricky maneuvering. She now rides just her scooter because it's more nimble, quicker and easier to respond to traffic, and needs less room to maneuver.
Andy
2013 Kymco Movie 150

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 03:27:23 AM »
Guys ride Harleys because they need something bigger between their legs.
Peace and Ride Safe.
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 05:48:48 AM »
Guys ride Harleys because they need something bigger between their legs.
Peace and Ride Safe.

I ride 50cc cause I like to drag it on the ground. Speed bumps suck!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »
People underestimate scooters! Lots of people don't even know there are scooters bigger than 50cc or that the can hit 45+ after being de-restricted/tuned. Oh and I second that speed bumps suck.
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 06:53:05 AM »
I'll bet my 50cc is bigger than your 200cc!   Sorry bout that. I mean Faster than. ;D ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
"Guys ride Harleys because they need something bigger between their legs."

Yeah, something bigger than a little 50cc  string trimmer scooter:)

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »
Like I said...
I'll bet my 50cc is bigger than your ________!   Sorry bout that. I mean Faster than.

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
Yesterday, I went riding with the Knights on Bikes.  There were 15-17 Harleys, a Honda Cruiser, a Trike with a VW engine and my Downtown 300i.  The 1st question that I was asked was would I be able to keep up.  I said no problem.  Off we went onto the Interstate to Mary’s Cafe in Strawn, TX. They were surprised that I could keep up especially when we doing close to 80.  Nobody asked me about my scooter until the end of the ride.  One guy said that it was his first rider with a scooter. But it was interesting, most of the riders were wearing black jackets except me.  I was wearing my fluorescent green and black Tourmaster jacket.

From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
Nice scoot RubenC.  I do like the look of the Downtown.
I'm trying to decide between that or the People 300gti for my upgrade from the 150 Super8 next year.  Bank account permitting of course!
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 02:58:06 AM »
My character is intact.... i don't f***in' care what other people say...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »
My character is intact.... i don't f***in' care what other people say...

What ? Who? It was some other people that made me say that sh_t.
I'd never say anything like that without being told too.  Ohhhhhh Sorry! That post reminded me of the ZGF (zombie GF)
I went instantly into lies, and denial. whoa

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 03:12:16 AM »
Really Z... Lol!   Really just got tired of "what people might say" Hahaha! And I say f*ck them all!! Your sh*t is your sh*t... my sh*t is my Sh*t... !!! Lol!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 03:40:46 AM »
I think it best if we all keep our own sh** to ourselves. There are always those that like getting into other peoples sh** tho.
I don't really see why... If you don't have enough sh** of your own...Eat more Taco's. :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()