Author Topic: At the end of the road...  (Read 1492 times)

pabfri5096

• View Profile
At the end of the road...
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
I have had nothing but trouble. 2013 kymco super 8 150. I have been at the dealer every month since purchase. 2Nd visit they kept the scooter for a month. I have had the entire electrical system replaced. The bike was pulling massive amps when parked battery never got charged. Would not start in morning if temp was below 50, I parked in a garage too. Then while riding to work the screws holding muffler on feel out and muffler then fell off.

This last time it died a few blocks from home wouldn't restart. I was told a cracked valve underneath the bike and wiring loose on starter. They had it for 3 weeks. I was told they could rig-it up so I could use it but it would spit out oil and dirt would get in engine.  I of course didn't ride it like that.

When I picked it up they said it was fine nothing else I needed to know. Week later almost to the day the engine is now ruined because all the oil ran out. When I took it back in of course my oil change was way over due. I was shocked thought I was current do to the fact I am in there monthly. The mechanic then told me he noticed the oil looked a little burnt but thought it would last. If I had that info when I picked it up I would have taken care of it that day. They did not give me the option.

I feel that both of us were at fault. I don't have the almost $1200 to fix it, I bought it to have cheap transportation now just expensive and not transportation.

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: At the end of the road...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
So sorry to hear about all of your problems. I guess the first thing that IO would try is to make an appointment with my dealer so that you two can discuss rationally all that has happened and try to come up with a plan for the future. If you can get the dealer on your side or at least sympathizing with you then maybe he/she could make a call to Kymco to try and work out a deal.

Once I was pressure washing my new truck (but past the warranty period) trying to get the bugs off the front hood when a big section ( 3" x 5") of paint blew off down to the primer. I went to the dealer where I bought it and he said to take it in to the dealer near me and ask for a "Goodwill Adjustment". I did and it got repainted for $200 which was much cheaper than an estimate.

Also look into the "lemon law" which helps people who have bought new vehicles that just keep having problems. I'm not sure what it can do for the consumer but it can't hurt to check into.

I know you must be sick over this whole situation. I can't imagine what you are going through. Know that Kymco is a good brand and I wish you all the best. Keep us informed and I hope you can get some resolution.
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
That is a horrible run of circumstances. Usually there is more to a story but I believe what you say is true.
First step is contact Kymco USA   Scooters, ATVs, UXV, Upcoming Events, Latest News and Press - KYMCO USA
http://www.kymcousa.com/

Fill them in with EVERY detail. Second contact your state attorney generals office for more info on their "lemon Laws". At least you will be educated, and armed if needed. Contact the dealer, and ask him for the COMPLETE service record of the bike. Do NOT take anything less than the COMPLETE history. Inform him of steps one, and two. Make it clear you are not begrudging him or his shop (even if you are, and most likely should) you are simply aiming to resolve the issue since he will not/can not take the time to due so.

There are one out of several thousand bikes or bike/poor dealer combos that will end up like this. Don't worry. Every one I have seen has had a happy(albeit) drawn out ending. Stay on top of this. Do something to keep the ball rolling EVERYDAY. Do not wait for a return call. Be persistent but polite. Kymco USA is your main focus. They brought the bike here. They assigned your dealer. They are ultimately responsible for making this right.
Email EVERYDAY. Call for mr. head of usa sales EVERYDAY. Ask for status EVERYDAY. Miss a day, and you go back to the beginning of the line. You will get a replacement bike. Kymco has growing pains but is a responsible company.
EVERYDAY! EVERYDAY! EVERYDAY>  Your new mantra? I have to contact Kymco.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

pabfri5096

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:20:27 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I have emailed this post to Kymco and got a quick response back asking or VIN, dealer, and mileage. Then received the email that stated; " We have an internal “Tech Issue Monitoring Table” that we created to list pending issues and monitor corrective actions until a satisfactory solution has been reached.  We will add you to this list." Being add to a list doesnt feel me with hope for a quick turn around. Trying to stay positive though.  The dealership's mechanic withheld information when I picked it up the week prior to engine needing replaced.  This last time he said it ran out of oil, engine had no compression.  He then informed me my oil change was over do. I asked him why the oil wasn't checked and nothing mentioned when I picked it up? He said he noticed it was a little burnt but thought it would last. Last until when? They are the only ones yt? That work on my kymco.

Question, they said that parts of the engine were trashed and broken. Would you hear that happen? I was riding and it just started to lose acceleration until I stopped. I am going to a t teach the pics he Sent me.

Still looking into lemon law.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:43:59 AM »
There is WAY more to this story. I have run 700HP marine engines till failure, and have NEVER seen a piston in that shape. You can also see the oil is not "burnt". The piston did not melt it was in a collision at high rpm. I would guess the con rod bearing simply broke, and the pieces seized the rod, torquing the piston. From beginning to end an indecent like that can take some time to develop but I am POSITIVE you would have heard a racket inside the engine while riding.
 Or this is the liquid cooled bike, and there was NO coolant causing the hot side (top) of the piston to seize, and the momentum pulled it back into the state it is in. Either way
 Could also have just broken a ring, and the piece wedged the piston.

I told you about the "line" DO NOT SKIP ONE DAY>>>>>>> Call every day for status. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.
Sorry for your luck. Mantra... I gotta call Kymco!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:57:41 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

pabfri5096

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:03:06 AM »
Thanks for the information.  Greatly appreciated. Will keep you posted

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 04:22:09 AM »
Wow! I'm seeing a bad trend with Super8's here lately.
Between your mangled engine, wkreps's exhaust/swingarm falling off, and my 2012 S8 not wanting to start, I'm starting to question some of the quality claims I've heard about Kymco. At least as far as the Super8's are concerned.
Or maybe it's just bad dealer service. My issues didn't start until after it was serviced.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:28:27 AM »
Wow! I'm seeing a bad trend with Super8's here lately.
Between your mangled engine, wkreps's exhaust/swingarm falling off, and my 2012 S8 not wanting to start, I'm starting to question some of the quality claims I've heard about Kymco. At least as far as the Super8's are concerned.
Or maybe it's just bad dealer service. My issues didn't start until after it was serviced.

Hey Hey Hey! Leave your brothers alone or I'm turning this car around!

Don't get me started mister.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()