Author Topic: Exhaust came loose  (Read 10615 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust came loose
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 04:04:08 AM »

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »
So I'm tossing a few back today and . . . . well . . . . (see below)
THIS IS STARTING TO GET A LITTLE WEIRD

COME OUT YOU EFFIN GREMLINS!

Copied and pasted here from a different thread by "Skadamo.... administrator"
skadamo
Administrator

Re: Do you take any crap for riding a Scooter?

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2014, 09:57:06 AM »

Hey guys, please don't swear on the fourm. We could have younger folks browsing. Less importantly, it can also prevent this forum from showing up in the almighty google.

I am going to add some sensor for a few here. Obviously you can find a way around that but that will just add more work for me. I try to keep the rules as minimal as possible but this is important.

Thanks!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
Seriously? Efin is way closer to Elvin which is what MY dyslectic eyes saw till you made me look again.

Point made, and taken but repeating it don't elvin help.
I'll turn this car around, and NObody gets ice cream.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 01:04:29 AM »
Seriously? Efin is way closer to Elvin which is what MY dyslectic eyes saw till you made me look again.

Point made, and taken but repeating it don't elvin help.
I'll turn this car around, and NObody gets ice cream.
Point was not made here - but earlier & to too little effect it seems.
The administrator has asked members not to swear in their posts on this forum....no matter how frustrating they are currently finding scooter ownership, or in their exchanges with their dealers. The administrator set up this site as a public forum for KYMCO enthusiasts of all ages and genders. If folks really want to vent their spleen in any language - via posts or videos - that is the grist of yoootoob.
For the most part our honor system is working very well....but I for one am sorry to see that we have caused the Administrator to feel compelled to come out and make his remarks. That is an extraordinary event on this forum.
Stig....still learning.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 01:16:58 AM »
No worries. I modded my post and added a language note for the video (which will probably get it more views).  :P
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 01:27:00 AM »
No Ice Cream!!! Except for me. I get it all! :-* Well maybe Stig too... I forgot about the Vid. We'll see.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:28:35 AM by zombie »

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
Sounds like they did the right thing. Your warrenty doesnt cover stuff you broke. Sounds like proving what was at fault would have been a losing battle for you as well. Sounds like they played it safe and then either found out Kymco would pay or they decided to just try and see if kymco would pay.  Sounds like kymco and/or your dealer did you a solid. The warrenty shouldnt have covered it. You came out smelling like roses when you admit to damaging it. You should feel good and shake the hands of the folks that helped you.

dvldoc

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 02:37:30 AM »
This juat happened to me yesterday,  had to use a wire to support the muffler,  I think the shop that installed myntires did not tighten the bolts.  Had to go to a machine shop to get the bolt extracted.   Replaced both with stainless and locktited the hell out of them.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 03:52:54 AM »
Obviously it's all to elvin common...

I hope the folks using Lok-Tite are using Blue formula. Red formula will never come apart unless you heat the thread boss.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 03:35:02 PM »
Lost the same bolts as before and YES the pipe cracked again. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the bolt hole. Everyone I talk to seems to think this is unusual. Dealer said KYMCO denied the warranty claim. I've called them and left message to see if we can come to an agreement. I'm looking to move up in scoot size and am not the kind of person who wants to pass along an issue to another owner. We'll see what happens when KYMCO calls me back.
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
Lost the same bolts as before and YES the pipe cracked again. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the bolt hole. Everyone I talk to seems to think this is unusual. Dealer said KYMCO denied the warranty claim. I've called them and left message to see if we can come to an agreement. I'm looking to move up in scoot size and am not the kind of person who wants to pass along an issue to another owner. We'll see what happens when KYMCO calls me back.
Dang Wayne,
Sorry to hear this.
You entering 24hr enduros on this scoot?
If I recall correctly you had a small lay down soon after purchase as nd there was as bit of discussion re the lost bolts an  d cracked pipe.....surely Kymco is not revisiting that this time
 around?
I had a hood experience when dealing directly with the distributor.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Might need to add tweeking those bolts ea time you check the dipstick?
When riding my scoot...I pull that dipstick every day.....before or after ea ride.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 08:33:16 AM »
I know it didn't happen twice ??? ???
ALL STOCK

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »
So the story is half over and here's the update. This is the most important part as far as other KYMCO owners are concerned. So the first thing I did was to call the dealer I bought it from and explain the situation. He said he would turn it in as a warranty claim but it was up to KYMCO to cover it. A day and a half later he called me back and said that KYMCO would not cover it. He explained it was pretty much black and white for him. If they wouldn't cover it there was nothing they could do. He did however give me a name and phone number of the person he talked with and said I was free to contact him to plead my case. I did that and left the gentleman a message. He called back the same day and we discussed it. I let him know that I was very upset about this but I wasn't about to yell at him for this but don't let my calm demeanor give the impression that I'm OK with what happened. I gave him my concerns, history and what I felt was the issues. Now here comes the important part. I gave him my VIN number and he looked up the history on the scooter. The exhaust is only covered under the first year warranty which he explained had expired just a few weeks ago. So the black and white of it is that it would not be covered as the warranty is expired. He then went on to explain that he  could do a "Goodwill Adjustment" and actually cover the item but in those cases he needs to report to Taiwan Corp. the reasoning behind it and show supporting evidence of why they gave away parts that were not under warranty. In this case he pointed out the regulate intervals indicated in the Owners Manual that bolts and nuts need to be tightened. He then said he contacted my dealer to see what RO's (repair orders) they had on file for my scooter. They had none as I do all of the maintenance myself, keeping meticulous logs and receipts. He said that my records would not be recognized and that all maintenance needs to be performed by a certified mechanic if they are going to be doing a goodwill adjustment. I explained how my dealer is 50 miles away and his solution was that I needed to make appointments on Saturdays and ride it up there for that. He understood my situation but based on my evidence he couldn't do anything for me. I guess I really couldn't expect the guy to roll over and just take care of the situation. You could tell from the conversation that this wasn't his first rodeo with a consumer complaint. With the way he explained it, there are avenues that could have helped me but though my actions (self maint.) I voided those (my words not his).

He was cordial in his conversation and we actually talked about me getting a bigger scooter. Which took us in another direction in the conversation which I will post elsewhere.

Upon further examination last night, I believe the top bolt is stripped out. My next step is to try and see if the pipe can be welded back together, then find a bolt/nut combination that will go all the way through the bolt hole. Loctite and lock washers on both ends of the bolt/nut combination. Maybe even a double nut. A coworker told me about aircraft bolts that have some sort of wire through the head of the bolt that locks it into place. I may investigate that also. Good day everyone.
Wayne

blackhawkfan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  Does your state have a lemon law and, if so, what are the time parameters on it?  I'm sure you advised that this happened once before, but did you make the point that the two instances may have been related and that an improper repair from the first episode could habe beem a time bomb waiting go off and cause the second episode.  Did the kymco rep say if there were other S8 owners with the same issue?  I would think that if it was fixed properly the first time there wouldn't have been a second time.
Proud owner of a red 2013 Kymco Super 8 150k
Scooter is stock

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2015, 07:26:10 PM »
I'm moving on with this. I explained to the rep that I didn't want to fix it without finding the cause because I plan on getting another scooter. I don't want to pass off an issue to another person. I'm not that way. I plan on "creating a fix" that I think will solve it long term and we'll see what the future brings.
Wayne

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()