Author Topic: Remember, your a sitting duck.  (Read 3577 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Remember, your a sitting duck.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 06:19:11 PM »
I'm very glad so many of you are "so aware" of how easy we can get hurt and don't need the reminders of this type. However not everyone is so self aware and younger riders often think they are invinceable. If one rider here learns something or avoids getting hit by the placement of a clip, it was well worth it.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 09:37:20 PM »

YEAH!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 09:39:27 PM »
I have been trying not to think about that video for since it was posted to hopefully think about what I would do to avoid such a horrendous outcome. I am at a loss except to try to make an issue about the pinhead in the pickup behind about NOT stopping too close (like he did) but I would have been nailed given the timing. The double-pinhead in the service truck coming from the right caused this mess even if the other pickup ran the light. I better watch that again....anyway, I am at a loss: don't think there was anything that could have been done differently by the scoot pilot. Darn!

Watched the vid again and the service truck blew thru the light if there is one. The intersection was occupied and the service truck was the cause, regardless. Also, like 080 said, he was a sitting duck and who caused it is immaterial.

Karl
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:46:27 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
I have avoided watching this vid but with all of the discussion, is there anything I can learn by watching it or should this thread just serve as a reminder to keep my eyes peeled?
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »
Stay out of the light Kreps!

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
I was on a rural backroad yesterday on my second day of owning a scooter. A lady passed a bicyclist in the opposite lane and came right at me head on in my lane. I shouldered the scooter as best I could and barely made it by her.

There is a lot of thinking while riding these, Iits obvious the lady didnt see me because she was looking that the 10 speed she was passing.

You can't hop on a scooter and just ride carefree just doing your part, defensive riding with constant scanning is a must and it gets tiring having to anticipate all sorts of scenarios that suddenly appear.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »
I was on a rural backroad yesterday on my second day of owning a scooter. A lady passed a bicyclist in the opposite lane and came right at me head on in my lane. I shouldered the scooter as best I could and barely made it by her.

There is a lot of thinking while riding these, Iits obvious the lady didnt see me because she was looking that the 10 speed she was passing.

You can't hop on a scooter and just ride carefree just doing your part, defensive riding with constant scanning is a must and it gets tiring having to anticipate all sorts of scenarios that suddenly appear.
Glad you have that sorted out on only your second day of scootering!
Seriously. It IS tiring to ride in traffic with so many cars moving around you. I tend to stay on streets I know very well....or to ride VERY early in the morning for my enjoyment for an hour or two. Shoot, around these parts driving a car takes a lot of avoidance and making room for idiots -doubly so when I'm on my scooter. This year I have seen 4 scooters on local streets -and 3 of them were yesterday.
Cars are not used to seeing scoots in Ohio.
Keep riding with care!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »

Defensive riding is the name of the game when you ride two wheels. You don't have the size, weight or protection of a cage. At the same time this doesn't mean you can't enjoy a relaxed somewhat carefree ride. I like others find the roads less traveled are ideal for reduced stressed riding. Also the time of day makes a big difference. I love early morning riding when the air is cool and crisp and the light of day is'nt as harsh.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()