Author Topic: cant past 15mph up hill no matter what  (Read 1220 times)

xhersherx

• View Profile
cant past 15mph up hill no matter what
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:25:48 AM »
im now to scooters so just wana know sum question I just hit 1022km just did a full tune up I put in a racing variator new cdi n 82number jet and 1000rpm torke spring . and no matterwhat I cant past 15mph going up a hill I tried 5.0g 5.5 g .and stock rollers nothing changes. if I get a running start up a hill it drop fast down to 20 or so if I try to up a hill from a dead start I lucky hit 15. what could be the problem?

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: cant past 15mph up hill no matter what
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 02:54:54 AM »
I assume before you did the tune up you scooter was running ok?

It sounds like you took the top off the carburetor and did not seal it correctly and so it has a vacuum leak.  To confirm this remove the air cleaner or other items to access the place where air enters the carb.  push the plastic slide aka "Vacuum Piston" all the way up and let go.  You should hear a sucking noise and feel resistance and when you let go it should not just fall back down.  If it flops up and down there is a vacuum leak and you must remove the top and look for tears and be sure the diaphragm is not damaged.  You can apply grease to help the rubber go into the groove.  Do not use rtv silicone or other sealants.  If it is damaged consider replacing the carb as the part is costly and commonly damaged when owners try to clean or modify their carbs.

Paul
PaulC

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 03:25:00 AM »
Good info MrBios,
Xher, are you over 170 pounds? if so I'd suggest a 2000 contra spring. It's the best spring for larger people. Stage6 has the stiffest followed by Polini. Malossi are very close to the OEM Agility spring, and don't give the full effect

Baring any other issues the Contra spring makes the most difference in hill climbing torque.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

xhersherx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
I also notice when I upset to 82 I lost about 20 mpg I did plug chop its a little rich button to bad tho

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
Its funny IM seeing this today. because I just had a hard time geting my scoot to fire up from time to time the last few days. So I went over the bike today. And found the rubber on the intake had a nice size air leak so I fixed that and im all good. Check your scoot out befor and after the carb for air leaks sounds like thats whats going on with your scoot to............

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »
Not to side track but the best way to fix those rubber manifolds is to cut, and burn off ALL the rubber coating. This will leave you w/ an aluminium manifold that accepts a rubber hose type coupler, and two hose clamps. Just like every other brand bike on the planet. Silicon sealer wont last. Gott ya Blue. I know how you "fixed it"

Xher... Go back to the jet you had. Too rich will slow you down, and do nothing but waste fuel. Without a pipe or free flow air filter the up jet is useless. Hang on to it in case you do get a pipe.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:39:43 PM »
...Xher... Go back to the jet you had. Too rich will slow you down, and do nothing but waste fuel. Without a pipe or free flow air filter the up jet is useless.

I totally agree.  I hate smelly wasteful Aftermarket pipes and jets.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()