Author Topic: GT tranny cover gasket ?  (Read 1359 times)

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
GT tranny cover gasket ?
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »
When it is time to replace my drive belt, naturally i`ll have to remove the cover.
Should I order a gasket when I order a new belt, or does the old gasket come off and go back on easily?.
I have watched some YouTube videos of guys replacing belts on small CC scoots and they appear to have no gasket at all.

Would appreciate advice from members who have changed out the drive belt on a GT300.
I have correct tools for the job.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:24:33 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: GT tranny cover gasket ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:51 PM »
If no one helps you on this .....here is what I found on my LIKE200i the frist time I removed the belt cover.
I was glad I had ordered a new gasket for the belt cover when I ordered the belt. The old gasket did not come off in a re-usable condition. I used very small amounts of 3M gasket adhesive to tack the new gasket  on the case before replacing the cleaned belt cover.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
We removed the cover to the belt on my GV250 today.
Only 1 spot was a problem and DH used a small/thin spatula to free that part of the gasket from the cover.
All of the rest of the gasket stayed attached to the body of the transmission.  So reuse was no problem.

We discussed why there was a gasket there at all since the belt cover is open to the world and no fluids are involved.
I expect that other owners omit it when it is too much destroyed to fit.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:31:15 AM »
Spot on! Both responses.
I always have gaskets on hand, and prefer to glue the new one to one part only. That way they stay put for several R/R cycles.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »
  When I put Dr Pulley sliders in my GTI300, I was able to use the old gasket again. I don't think this is a given though. For the cost of a gasket, I would have one on hand. Follow Zombies advice and just glue on side. If you like performance, put some lighter Dr Pulley sliders in while it is apart. You will notice the difference.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:20:14 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »
I found w/ Dr Pulley the same weight is better because they "act" lighter than OEM.
Lets say 30gr OEM, and 30gr DP's... The DP's will act like 28gr, and raise the rpm. If you NEED more rpm thats fine. If you dont then go UP in weight say DP 32gr to keep the rpm as is but increase performance.

They do make a big difference but they have to be installed correctly. There is a thread in the 500's that addresses this...   http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=10485.new#new
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()