Author Topic: ..cooler weather = better performance?  (Read 1731 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..cooler weather = better performance?
« on: September 11, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
..it's been about 10 F degrees cooler around here for the last cpl days..

..seems I'm seeing a 1-2% increase in overall performance...

..quicker take-off..stronger on the flats and less drop-off up the hills...

..hmmm...........

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
Re: ..cooler weather = better performance?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
Every bike or car I have had performed better when it is cold.

The only difference is People 250 S. It runs much better when it is warm outside - 30-35 C is ideal!

This all depends on rejetting. When I had Kawasaki ZR-7S (750 cc), I had it rejetted with different main and pilot jets, another exhaust, K&N etc... there was a dedicated Web forum to this bike and we all used the same parts, yet the end result on dyno test was different in various parts of the world. It was the best on sea level and the worst for those who lived at higher altitude.

This is also the reason why some bikes work very smoothly when it is warm and have problems working when it is cold outside (and when they are just started). For example, my ex. Beverly 200 worked very smoothly when it was very cold, -10 - 0 C.

Bikes should be rejetted for different temperatures and altitudes, of course, nobody does that as it is too complicated, so I guess that factory setup is a compromise that should work under all conditions.

Kymcos are produced in China and you should check where exactly the factory is and where they are assembled and tested and probably they will work best under similar conditions. If you take them to 4000 m altitude or to very dry and hot climate, you will experience problems...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:27:13 PM »
Colder air is denser, there fore more air in the cyl. you may benifit from the new filter more than you expected.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »
..wow, yeah, well now I'm getting excited...

..imma log outta here, head home and get to tuning!!!

..Updates 2moro!!

peace

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:19:11 PM »
Colder air is denser, there fore more air in the cyl. you may benifit from the new filter more than you expected.

The engine will benefit from more (cold) air only if the mixture in the carb is already a bit too rich, otherwise not.

Most of these things reflects primarily on carburetor engines, not injection that should be pretty much in balance all the time...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

TuttoCambia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
I notice better performance in both my scooter and car when its cooler out..and my car is fuel injected.

scoot1234

• 31 yr. old hudsband and father of 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:19:41 PM »
Kymcos are not chinese...Try Tiawan brother. way better.
I love this forum! It's the best i have found; Very informative, especially because of knowledable peeps.ex.: 'wordslinger', 'shaka', 'Axy' or 'Zombie' just to name four...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »
Kymcos are not chinese...Try Tiawan brother. way better.

Nobody said "Kymco is Chinese".
I said "Kymcos are produced in China".
There is a big difference.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 10:50:56 AM »
The engine will benefit from more (cold) air only if the mixture in the carb is already a bit too rich, otherwise not.

Most of these things reflects primarily on carburetor engines, not injection that should be pretty much in balance all the time...

..I found that to be absolutely true...as I was tuning my carb after installing that air filter...I determined that I was running a RICH fuel mixture...

..however, late in the evening..when it was much cooler, my scoot almost ran fine at WOT...that was the key point that led my in the right direction...

..thanx axy!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()