Author Topic: What octane fuel should I use in my X500?  (Read 6231 times)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
What octane fuel should I use in my X500?
« on: September 11, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
Since day one I have been using premium fuel 91+ octane cause that's what the book says.  I read an article that there is a difference in the octane rating used in Europe, Asia and the US.  It seems that the X500 manual that says use premium fuel min octane 91 research octane number (RON) is actually something like 86 (MON) in the US.  That if I use US regular 86 or 87 octane (MON) I might get better mileage and performance. Prior to this I had no idea that numbers were different.  What are the rest of you using?  Have I been wasting that extra 20 to 30 cents a gallon?  :o 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: What octane fuel should I use in my X500?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:21:29 PM »
It's NOT a waste. Keep buying the best brand/ highest octane you can find. Try googleing ANYTHING re octane/ detergent vs engine life/condition. THE JURY IS IN ON THIS ONE
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
..Shell V-Power!!!

..woo-hoo!!!

;D :o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »
Our german manual says "standard", that is 91 RON = 82.5 MON.
But as standard is abandoned, "super" with 95 RON = 85 MON is the new practcal minimum.

Kymco usually builds standard engines which run with bad fuel all over the world, compression ratio <=1:10 and <10000 rpm.
There is no need to buy more than good fuel, high tech fuel for >=1:12 compression ratio and >12000 rpm is a waste.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:28:06 AM by ts1 »

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »
I just put my first 1/2 tank of Chevron 87 regular in the X500.  Will gradually wean it over.  Let's see if I can tell a difference in performance, MPG, etc.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:10:11 PM »
I put regular fuel in my zx50 one time, and will never do that again!  I ran out of gas at my house and all I had was a can of regular.  I put in enough to make it to the gas station.  I was questioning whether or not I would make it!  I ran horribly!  I didn't want to idle and was stuttering the whole time!  I would just spend the extra 20 cents and get the good stuff! ;)

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:10:52 PM »
I wanted to get an answer from Kymco on the octane issue so I asked Kymco the following question on their customer website:

"Is the suggested gasoline octane rating stated in the Owners Manual for scooters sold in the U.S. measured by the European/Asian standards or by United States standards?"

Kymco replied:

"The Octane listings in the owners manuals are probably Asian standards. Regular gas is fine for KYMCOs."

Kudos to all who new that already.

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
The key word is "probably".  Even the Kymco guy didn't know for sure.  I've made the switch to regular and just like others, had knocking, sputtering, almost stalling, and other running issues.  As soon as I put the good stuff back in, NO MORE PROBLEMS.   Really, it's 20 cents.  With the MPG you're getting is that a problem?
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »
The key word is "probably".  Even the Kymco guy didn't know for sure.  I've made the switch to regular and just like others, had knocking, sputtering, almost stalling, and other running issues.  As soon as I put the good stuff back in, NO MORE PROBLEMS.   Really, it's 20 cents.  With the MPG you're getting is that a problem?

Good point about the qualification of "probably". It's a shame that Kymco USA hasn't a clue.  The $.20 difference is not an issue with me - and judging by your experience - no savings at all.  I was just trying to get an official ruling but got a maybe instead.   

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »
I use 87 AKI, but from a known good fuel station. Bad gas is bad gas, no matter what octane. Never had any problems with Chevron up here where I live. I use the savings vs. premium to ride a little further. Perhaps others are mistakening bad gas with regular-grade gas? I know some stations might have more water or ethanol or other impurities than is expected!

Now in bikes and cars that have engine tuning to take advantage of 92 AKI, I definitely fill up with premium!

Shaka, if I recall correctly your ZX50 is a two-stroke. I think two-strokes might be more sensitive to ethanol blends. Try looking for stations that serve ethanol-free fuel if you think the ethanol is a problem.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:50:41 AM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 02:50:25 AM »
Yes, a good fuel station is a must regardless of octane...

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
So Diesel is a bad idea then?

(I am joking...even this moron knows better)
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »
Most vehicles sold in the US have a sticker somewhere that states the recommended octane.
Most cars have a knock sensor so can use different octanes and self adjust to what your running.
Most bikes have a simpler system so are tuned to a certain octane, unless it's a high performance
bike (like Ducati) they usually tune for 87. Use the lowest octane the bike works best with. If you
hear knocking use a higher octane. As a vehicle ages it's octane requirements could go up (due to
carbon deposits that raise compression).
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 01:35:24 AM »
I've used 87 (US) octane in my Grand Vista without problems. Be aware that if the pump uses a common hose to deliver any of the fuel types, it can hold 1/3 gallon of whatever was pumped before you pulled up to buy your gas.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 04:39:00 AM »
Premium all the way do my average fill up is 2.25 gallons.  I guess i could save $.50 cents a fill up at 54 mpg.  87 is pennywise and pound foolish.

I'll pay a little extra for "Unicorn Piss" and full synth oil and a little extra for stabil or seafoam.

I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()