Author Topic: oil leak, too much oil?  (Read 6586 times)

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
oil leak, too much oil?
« on: April 27, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »
hi everyone, kymco super 50 cc, 200 miles on it and today I noticed a leak of engine oil. I took these pics, am I putting too much oil in the container?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:57:28 PM by kimura »

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: oil leak, too much oil?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:16:35 AM »
Really need more info. The first pic looks like it shows an oil run. Can you trace the run back to where it is coming out? Does it leak only after running or is it constant?
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:18:07 AM »
Kymco Super what?

That looks like 2 cycle oil, and you spilled some when filling it.
I'll bet you have 5-6 cats, and one very nervous bird.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »
thanks for the replies guys!

its a super 8 2t 50cc, 2012.

The 2 cycle Engine oil is leaking.

I'll try to trace it and see if it only leaks after running it,  when I look into the oil container under the seat, the oil level is quite high, above the little nipple on the side. maybe that's why?

this is the oil I'm using.

ill keep you guys posted.

now i have to figure out how to get the oil out from the garage pavement cuz my wife is FURIOUS.

ps. I don't have any pets.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:27:28 PM by kimura »

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
update 10:15am

It's been leaking a few drops this morning and I hadn't rode it since last night so it seems its leaking when it hasn't been rode too. :\

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:27:10 PM »
In my experience if you overfill the oil tank, excess oil comes out of the vent hole in the plug when you are riding. The excess oil sits in the rubber grommet on the tank fill mouth that is supposed to provide a seal between the tank and the plastic underseat storage area. Remove the underseat bucket and wipe everything up. Then inspect the bottom of the oil tank while you are there. Let it sit overnight. If it still leaks then you have a real issue.

My moneys on overfill so dont worry too much
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 05:36:46 PM »
now i have to figure out how to get the oil out from the garage pavement cuz my wife is FURIOUS.
Any dish soap that cuts grease with a little water. Dawn works well.
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
Buy a bag of cat litter, and spread about 1/2" over the spill. It will wick it all up. Gives you an excuse to get those cats now too. ;D

There is a rubber seal on the outlet of the tank that sometimes does leak but that's on the bottom. Maybe take a syringe to pull out a few cc's of oil or even dip in a paper towel to remove some.

A good 20-30 mile ride will get you down low enough to stop it too.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
thanks for the help so far guys. I didn't ride it all yesterday, i took a look this morning and it was still leaking. I look into the oil container under the seat and the oil level is a good inch below the nipple on the side. I'm so pissed :\

I'm horrible at doing any work with my hands, I always brake things, so I guess I'll have the service guy look at it when I bring it in for some mods. I made a thread in the super 8 50 cc section, if you guys would be so kind as to help me out over there.

zombie, I lurked through your posts looking for information, you have an interesting sense of humour bro, lol.  *fist bump*

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »
It's a combination of finding the funny moments, appreciating them, then watching as they are smashed into sh_t by daily life, and all the miserable people in it.

If you compared my life to a cowboy movie... I'd be the guy with 10-15 guns that only has one thing to say. I'm gonna need more bullets!

Why don't you try just spraying a hose w/ some dawn down there. Perhaps it is just spilled oil?
Otherwise it would be the seal on the outlet of the tank.

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
ignoring miserable mofos is a skill acquired.

my scoot seems to leak about a drop after riding it. it's way below the side nipple in the oil container. :\

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
Could be just a faulty hose clamp letting a little seep out of between a hose connection. I'd definitely want to track this down as every drop of oil could mean a drop that is not getting to the engine and lubricating it.
Wayne

kimura

• 2012 super 8 50cc 2t
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
wkreps, thanks buddy, so at least we know its not because i put too much oil.  i'll let the service guy know when i bring it in. Which will be soon after i receive my (make my baby go faster ) parts.  8)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
Just make sure you go through and check every nut and bolt, as well as all your hoses, before you take it in. Maybe even take some pics to double check with afterward. Both wkreps and myself have had some issues with our dealer service as of late.  Just double check everything they do to it, just for your own piece of mind.
Hope you get it all worked out!  :)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 03:12:35 AM »

No disrespect to anyone... If Kimura knew enough to tighten sh_t then this post would not be here.

I understand the worries , and believe his concerns are founded. Dealers are nothing more than sales depots in the US.

Kimora. TELL the place you got the bike to fix it. Don;t worry. If you are not in the US then you are screwed!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()