Author Topic: Issues with brand new Downtown running rough and cutting out / stalling  (Read 16548 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Good for you. No better feeling than heading into a fight with a pocket FULL of ammo.

Take Picts... We all wanna see this!

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

msolok

• View Profile
Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates in a while but I haven't made a lot of progress. In short I was told to take my bike into the service center any time just call them an hour before to let them know to be ready. So I went to do that last week.when I call them they say they have no knowledge of my bike, it's issues or that I was going to be brining it in. I am told I must book it in for a service and from there they will look at the issues. The first time they can get to look at it is in a week.
Needless to say I tell them that is unacceptable for a bike faulty on delivery. So they take my details and say they will call me back in half an hour when they work out what can be done. Never got that call back.
So I have to call them again. Only for them to say they have no knowledge on my bike. So I go through it all again with Another promised call back at the end.
And then no call back and it repeats for a third time.

At this point I am pissed that this entire thing is taking so long and so much of my time. So I tell the dealer I am sick of it and just want a refund. I get a prompt reply from them saying they had spoken to the service center and they thought I was going to be calling them back to book it in. The dealer then books the bike in for a service on Friday. So I need to drop the bike off to them at 8:30 (and be late to work) and they will 'hopefully' have the bike fully fixed and ready to go by the end of the day. If it's not I will just be taking back my cash and leaving them with the bike.

All up I am very disappointed with the dealer and service center. I am not even riding the bike anymore due to these issues.

wakeupmaggie

• View Profile
Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates in a while but I haven't made a lot of progress. In short I was told to take my bike into the service center any time just call them an hour before to let them know to be ready. So I went to do that last week.when I call them they say they have no knowledge of my bike, it's issues or that I was going to be brining it in. I am told I must book it in for a service and from there they will look at the issues. The first time they can get to look at it is in a week.
Needless to say I tell them that is unacceptable for a bike faulty on delivery. So they take my details and say they will call me back in half an hour when they work out what can be done. Never got that call back.
So I have to call them again. Only for them to say they have no knowledge on my bike. So I go through it all again with Another promised call back at the end.
And then no call back and it repeats for a third time.

At this point I am pissed that this entire thing is taking so long and so much of my time. So I tell the dealer I am sick of it and just want a refund. I get a prompt reply from them saying they had spoken to the service center and they thought I was going to be calling them back to book it in. The dealer then books the bike in for a service on Friday. So I need to drop the bike off to them at 8:30 (and be late to work) and they will 'hopefully' have the bike fully fixed and ready to go by the end of the day. If it's not I will just be taking back my cash and leaving them with the bike.

All up I am very disappointed with the dealer and service center. I am not even riding the bike anymore due to these issues.

Oh, that's too bad.  What a horrible experience.  And if it was me, even if the dealer fixed the bike, I don't think I'd be happy with it ever.  I hope they fix it and that you CAN be happy with it. 
Somerset County, New Jersey
DT300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
That really sucks. I am very happy with my DT300i and you have every right to be that way, too. Now how to get there is another matter especially with "dealers" and Kymco will be of marginal help. Someone on this thread suggested bad fuel and I think he may be more right than my "initialize". It would take some time to drain all the fuel and properly flush the system and I suspect the "dealer" does not want to do this because it would eat into his profit. You could do it yourself or you could persue the getting your money back. Does not seem very good on either account. I think the DT is a well designed machine and well built. There SHOULD be no reason for it to run poorly. I would help all I can whatever your decision.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Agreed with all said here. More likely than not it's a simple matter to fix, and all is well.

Sounds like your dealer has too many irons in the fire, and a shop full of clowns that have no interaction w/ each other.

Maybe you'll get a free cup of coffee.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

msolok

• View Profile
So my bike was due at the workshop yesterday for them to take a look at the issues. So I jumped on the bike ready to take it down, switched on the headlights and they didn't turn on. After around 5 seconds they came on full strength. Thinking that was weird I switched them off and back on, and they took a bit longer to switch back on. First time that had happened.

But with the headlight on I was ready to go. Had given the bike a few minutes to warm up (as I always do) and I was away. As usual for the first 10-15 minutes the bike was running fairly rough but after this seemed to become much smoother and more responsive. The ride to the service center was, thankfully, uneventful other than the roughness at the start.

Got it to the service centre and continued on to work. By 3:45 in the afternoon I had not heard anything from them so gave them a call. The response were:

1) They took the bike on 13kms of a ride (a 3km ride then a longer 10km ride) and didn't think it was particularly rough and it didn't stall. They took a quick look at the injectors and they were clean. Don't know where else to look and nothing else done.
2) Didn't think the rattling from the front end was out of the ordinary so didn't investigate.
3) They switched the headlight and it came straight on. Didn't investigate further.

Their suggestion was that I could leave the bike with them for a further few days and they would take another look. Kymco had asked them to replace the injectors in the bike in an email over a week ago but they didn't have any and had to order them in. So there was going to be a wait for them.

Needless to say I was fairly annoyed at the lack or progress so I called the dealer to tell them so and tell them I was after a refund. After numerous calls (they had to keep calling the service center) the response from them was:

1) They were annoyed that they were stuck 'in the middle' of me and the service center. They didn't like that I pointed out my contract of sale was with them and it was there legal responsibility.
2) Thought I was out of line at getting annoyed at having to leave my bike with them multiple times to get issues present from delivery fixed
3) Decided it was my fault these issues were occurring as I filled up with Premium 98RON petrol and they told me not to. Told me Kymco didn't know anything about this and it didn't matter what they said. They got very annoyed when I told them Kymco's stance is what is important here and that their opinion, as a dealer, was unimportant.

The end of my conversation with the dealer occurred when the manager of the store was screaming down the phone at me saying that they didn't care and to 'take them to court because I would lose and then they were going to come and get me'. He then hung up on me.

More than a little amused at the dealers lack of basic customer service and complete lack of understanding the damage the internet would do to his reputation, I proceeded to the Service Centre. The guys there were fairly nice and explained what they had done. I simply agreed to get them the bike for a few more days in the future (even though they don't provide loaner bikes and I live 35km away) but asked if we can check the headlights before I go as I know something is wrong.
We get out to the bike and test the headlight. They don't turn on. The service guys very quickly proclaimed it hadn't happened at all during any of their testing during the day. Looks like a faulty contact in the switch. So they have done a quick fix to the switch so the headlights turn on but have to order in replacement parts for an actual fix.

Haven't had a chance to ride the bike since letting it sit overnight to know how it goes now. Them reseating the injectors might have helped. But I still have to wait for them to get replacement injectors and headlight switch and then leave the bike with them for a few days.

As for the dealer, needless to say I will be suggesting to everyone I meet not to use them. They are pathetic.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Glad to hear you got 'em on the run! Sorry to hear you have had to resort to this and spend the effort. There is but one thing the dealer tech is right: it has to malfunction when he is looking at it, i.e. the light switch but that is for trouble shooting. Neither the dealer not the tech should assume you are some ignorant rube. there should be an effort to reproduce the problem without the drama which they did not do. This goes right to my opinion that DEALERS AND THEIR TECHS SUCK! Go get 'em and watch 'em closely so they don't screw up your bike. Don't know how you are gonna do that from 35km away!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

msolok

• View Profile
So had a few more rides on it since getting it back. I have noticed that it seems to be running smoother than previously and much more responsive from when it's turned on. The only differences between now and last week are that it has been to the service center and had it's injectors removed, inspected and reinstalled, and we are having unseasonably warm weather this past week+.
So it could be that the bike is behaving as it isn't really getting that cold and the issue is with cold starts.
Or it could be that the injectors were incorrectly installed or seated and when they have been inspected it's fixed them up.

I'm going to keep my eye on it and see how it goes once it gets cold here again.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
WE ALL Gott y' Back Son...

She a,ways makes me
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:09:55 AM by zombie »

sklnzl

• View Profile
That's good news ! You finally got it fixed I presume  ;D

msolok

• View Profile
Nothing has been fixed, per-say. The bike has yet to go back to the service centre.

The problem is it hasn't been getting cold enough to really test how well the bike runs in the cold. It was colder when I was having the stalling issues than it is now (which is strange as we have now hit winter), so it's hard to really gauge if the issues are resolved or if it's just not cold enough to be happening.
Since getting my bike back it has only stalled once, and that was about 10-15 seconds after it was turned on and it was sitting on it's centre stand (it also wouldn't turn on over for a few minutes afterwards).

I am fairly happy with how it is running at the moment though. I think the engine is settling in fairly well and is getting smoother and more responsive. It will be going in for it's first service in a week or so, so hopefully they will fix the light relay then and take a further look and make sure it is running well.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
I realize this part of the thread is back a ways but I just got caught up and read about initializing the bike. I went out and tried it on my GT and it seems to have helped a great deal. It idols much more smoothly and when I take off it doesn't have that rough rumble until it gets going anymore. Very glad I'm on this forum with all the fantastic tips and information.

Thanks everyone and as always ride safe, mscmkr

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
I HATE dealers that give all honest and reputable shops a bad name like this. I think the worst bunk bike was a customer that bought an ABS Xciting500 new and was having problems with his ABS not working/pulsing even under light breaking. Ended up replacing the entire Bosch ABS "brain". I felt bad though, poor guy bought the top of the line scoot and had it out of commission for weeks. He's loved it ever since the ABS was fixed. Moral of the story, hold in there and once it's fixed you'll love your Kymco in the end!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

vgrafx

• View Profile
After reading through this thread, thought I would post my experience.... recently traded in Yager for a DT300i,   My Yager was stalling, cutting out, running rough, and hard to start for over a year..... Serviced but they did not find the problem, finally after sitting in service for over 2 months they determined that maybe there was a pinched air hose and that the ignition coil was defective.... A faulty ignition coil could I assume cause lots of issues.......

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
 did you ever check the gas for water , or dirt, buy the gas by the 5 gal. and filter it to check for dirt, I dont know how to check for water,. the old cars had a filter with a glass jar you cold see if there was water ,

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()