Author Topic: Are You Dragging?  (Read 3740 times)

Scootaloot

• View Profile
Are You Dragging?
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »
Just changed out brake pads and was surprised rear pads were razor thin. When you push your scoot around how much drag do you hear on rear brake? I lubed slides and pad tips but not sure there isn't an issue. That said she does have close to 34k. Front pads just passed inspection but I changed them out as well. Don't bother with after market pads as the set I ordered online and the set the dealer ordered didn't fit. Ended up waiting 1 1/2 weeks for Oem pads

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
Re: Are You Dragging?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:53:44 AM »
Somewhere on here I started a thread about the rear brakes dragging. I had that problem with mine. Best I can do right now is to tell you to search through the 300 GTi board to find it. I'll look for it later and if I find it I'll post a link. 
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200
Current ride, Kymco GTi 300

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 02:59:30 AM »
so what? You should have ordered them 2 weeks earlier. They would have been 1/2 a week early.

!
Just changed out brake pads and was surprised rear pads were razor thin. When you push your scoot around how much drag do you hear on rear brake? I lubed slides and pad tips but not sure there isn't an issue. That said she does have close to 34k. Front pads just passed inspection but I changed them out as well. Don't bother with after market pads as the set I ordered online and the set the dealer ordered didn't fit. Ended up waiting 1 1/2 weeks for Oem pads
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:10:54 AM »
Thanks Yellow Jacket, Lubed slides but still rear is not quite right. Might take apart again in the future and clean and grease again but will have to wait until spring season finishes.

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 02:45:12 AM »
Scootaloot, Hope you will see this, I owe you an apology.  I posted here that I had done a write-up about my brake dragging and said to search the board for it.  Sorry to say, I did not post it on this board. It was on ADVRider. Here is the link to what I posted. It starts with post #171. I've got pictures of what the problem was and what I did to fix it. If you have any ?'s PM me on ADV, I don't get over here very often.
Hope this is of some help to you.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22197976#post22197976
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 04:37:00 AM »
I'm dragging and am now fairly bothered by this.

I've been reading and re-reading your posts about it on the other forum.  Has anyone else used his fix and had success? My rear tire doesn't spin if my hand isn't on it turning it. If my scoot is constantly working against this how is it effecting it's MPG and speed.

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 02:17:36 PM »
It's real easy to check for rear brake drag. Put bike on center stand, remove the two bolts that attach the caliper and let it hang by the hose. Now try spinning the rear wheel. Also, on mine I noticed a lot of brake dust on the rear wheel, non since I "fixed" the problem.
You also could try riding a few miles and not use the left brake lever at all, then stop and feel the rotor. If it is hot, brake is dragging.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:20:16 PM by Yellow Jacket »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »
One issue w/ ALL disc brakes is a slight drag. I mean thinner than air type dragging. The pads are ALWAYS in direct contact with your rotors. There is nothing you can do to prevent this.

Lubing the slide pins w/th Aluminium anti seize is the first line of defense, and using a Blue silicone compound (rtv) on the back side of the piston side pad will allow some "spring" action in the pad itself.

Ceramic pads are the only real answer if all else is as it should be. Metallic pads create the most heat. Organic pads create little heat but drag the most. Ceramics have little "drag" effect, and dissipate heat very well. Malossi has an excellent chart on their site explaining all their formulas for brake pads.

All scooters will also have a stationary rear wheel if the idle is correctly set, and the disc brakes are working correctly.
Some drum brake scooters will have a free wheeling rear due to variances in user adjustment but most of the bikes on the road have a stationary rear tire is everything is adjusted properly.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:40:40 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 12:56:56 AM »
Thanks Yellow Jacket! I haven't ridden for a few weeks now as a bearing in the gear box has failed but I will definitely look at caliper when putting everything back together.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
So my shop cleaned my brakes and possibly lubed the appropriate parts of my rear brake. It made a large difference in my ride. But I am still dragging. I saw the spot where the caliper bracket hits the swing arm. I filed it down as you suggested but you didnt say how deep you filed. I used the file to pry the pads further open. The wheel spun better with it like that. Then I pumped the rear brake to seat it or what ever and it now drags again. I am tempted to take it off and force the brake pads open again and then just not use the rear to see how it rides with no damn drag.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »
Have you open the system to look for water damage? Brake fluid attracts humidity from the air, and will easily hamper the piston action.
If you remove the caliper, and take out the bleeder, you can use compressed air to "blow" out the piston.
You may need to use some emory cloth to clean up the piston, and the caliper's bore.
New "O" rings can be found at Ace hardware/home depot.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »
Ok so i filed the bracket and that did absolutly nothing. The guy's claim of fixing his drag now all sounds like its not true. How he described his rear wheel spinning is how mine now does after the cleaning and reseating. I walked around to every brand new GTI in the show room and everyone spins like mine does now. About 3/4 turn. I spoke with the head mechanic at my shop and he said that is how it is designed to work. This would also explain why the other guy went 34 thousand on those pads. I even removed my rear caliper and fully opened it and then reinstalled without reseaging the rear pistons. To be honest I couldnt tell a difference in speed between it not touching at all and it touching as the stock ones do. Here is my advice, if you are afraid you are dragging to a point of detriment then got to a kymco show room and compare.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 07:44:08 PM »
That goes back to this...

I Bite!
View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
One issue w/ ALL disc brakes is a slight drag. I mean thinner than air type dragging. The pads are ALWAYS in direct contact with your rotors. There is nothing you can do to prevent this.

Glad you sorted it to your satisfaction.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »
Yea but you didnt make clear sense.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 04:43:22 PM »
Only to me sir. That's my lot in life. I'm the only one who knows all the secrets but I have no way to express them.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()