Author Topic: 2005 People 150 No Spark - Help!  (Read 4698 times)

Calothrix

• View Profile
2005 People 150 No Spark - Help!
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
I've had too many trouble free years with the ol' 150, so I figured it was just a matter of time before the scoot would leave me stranded, and that time has finally come!  Was riding to work a few days ago and the engine started cutting out, off and on.  Made it to work but when I went to leave it would not start and drained the battery trying.  Left it there a few days and charged up the battery before I could check things out.  Pulled the spark plug boot and sprayed some stuff for electrical connections in it (not sure of the name) that a coworker gave me, put the boot back on and it started right up and ran fine in the parking lot.  Came back in a few more days to pick it up and it wouldn't start again.  After charging the battery again I was able to get it started but on the ride home is started cutting out again and finally died about a mile from home.  I had bought a new battery over the winter but had not installed it yet, so I charged the new battery and installed it but the scoot still will not start.  Looked online and am trying to troubleshoot it.  Here's what I know so far: the spark plug does not spark...and also I did not get an arc when I put a small screwdriver in the spark plug boot, placed it near the engine and hit the start button.  I'm certainly no "motorhead" but that tells me I'm not getting any juice to the spark plug.  I have a harbor freight freebie multimeter but I'm not sure if it is working (plus i'm no expert with these things).  When I set it to read resistance and touch the two leads it reads 0.5 instead 0.0.  I used the multimeter to check the ignition coil and it seemed to give me readings that were within the ballpark...but not sure.  I think my starter relay is OK because it clicks when I hit the start button.  So, I guess that leaves the CDI, kill switch, grounding issues, etc. as potential problems.  I'm thinking about just starting to replace parts to find the problem....any educated guesses on the part that has likely failed?  I might just call the local dealer and see what they would charge to bench test the ignition coil and cdi.  Thanks for any help!   

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 People 150 No Spark - Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:22:23 PM »
My first thought goes the spark plug wire itself, maybe shorting out, have a crack or break in it at some point.

Being it started and crapped out again it means at some point you were getting spark.

Excuse my ignorance here but the part that supplies the juice to the spark plug wire may also be the culpret, good luck and be sure to share the solution.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:22:27 AM »
guesses on the part that has likely failed
Test pulser coil Ohms.  If deficient, replacement can be spliced in without removing the flywheel.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:14:51 AM »
I sort of paraphrased your post because the high points suggest the stator or/and the cdi.
Look at this thread for a manual to trouble shoot... http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=495.15
 or just buy both.

It is all too often you cannot ID the cause because of intermittent or heat related failure.
Maybe the Kill switch has water in it. Maybe this, and that. Maybe the coil. Maybe the wiring.
It's hard to trouble shot even w/ the manual.
I ALWAYS buy a new stator, and CDI. F them both. If thaT DON'T FIX IT THEN YOU HAVE NEW PARTS, AND CAN GO FROM THERE.

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 02:57:03 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies.  I called the dealer today and he estimated it could cost anywhere from $80 to $300 to fix.  That, coupled with the hassle of getting it there makes me think I would be better off just replacing parts.  I borrowed a multimeter from work so I may try to do a little more troubleshooting to narrow down my search.  Like I said before, I'm no motorhead, but I'm not afraid to tackle a job with a little help.  First a couple of questions: Tortoise - where is the pulser coil located and does it look like the replacement part you mentioned?  The service manual does not do a very good job of showing it.  I found the starter relay and ignition coil but do not see anything that looks like the pulser coil replacement part.  Zombie - whenever in the past I messed with electric motors (from all sorts of things), when I took them apart, I always ended up with springs and magnets flying all over the place and they were a son of a biscuit to put back together.  Is that the case with the stator?  Thanks again guys for all your help.  Will keep you posted!   

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:16:10 AM »

It's easy stuff Calo.
The pulser coil is attached via the harness right near the stator.

It's an easy youtube search for more info., and we can find the parts/tools online for you. Well under 100.00  .
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:21:02 AM »
Replace them all Calo... and you'll have a new scoot with less headaches... ;)

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 03:23:39 AM »
Update - tried to narrow down the problem but was unsuccessful.  Made sure electrical connections were tight, checked kill switch and it appeared to be OK, and located the pulser coil.  It and the bump on the flywheel had a little oxidation on them so I lightly sanded them with fine sandpaper to get them shiny (hope that was OK!).  Still no start.  Got lucky and found a new Kymco CDI from a dealer on Ebay, so I bought it and it should be here on Tuesday.  Knowing my luck, that will not be the problem, so am now looking at getting more parts and any suggestions are appreciated.  I want to keep the scoot as close to stock/OEM as possible (sorry Z-man!) but at the same time, I don't want to have to wait around for three months for Kymco parts.  This scoot has a DC CDI with 4 wires, so I'm not sure how that effects what kind of stator/pulser coil/ignition coil setup I should get.  Here is a link to the OEM stator http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts#/Kymco_USA/BA30AA_People_150/Fan_Cover_%26_Stator/2K01020005/01020015   It has 8 poles, so does the replacement need to have 8 poles?  Tortoise, will the replacement pulser coil you recommended work with a DC CDI?  I did a search on Ebay (gy6 150 stator) and came up with this list: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgy6+150+stator&_nkw=gy6+150+stator&_sacat=0&_from=R40  Anything on here look good to anyone for quality replacement parts?  I see some flywheel pullers too!  Thanks! ;)

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 04:19:31 AM »
Tortoise, will the replacement pulser coil you recommended work with a DC CDI?
Yes.  Pulser coil Ohms reading?

If you decide to replace the entire stator assembly, might be prudent to order the Kymco unit to ensure the connector plug matches, and NONE of the 8 poles are wrapped.  On a AC-CDI system, one wrapped stator pole charges the CDI, and the rest run the lights and charge the battery.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 03:21:07 AM »
I just posted this... There are like 16 stators for the 125-150cc.

Buy the OEM Kymco or take a chance. I have NEVER seen a pulser coil go bad in my entire 56 year life. 43 of it working on engines.

STADIUM YAMAHA!

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 10:38:40 PM »
Looks like most of the stators available online for the GY6 150 are AC ones.  Very few DC stators out there and even fewer with 8 poles (most have 12).  Called Stadium Yamaha yesterday and they said they could probably get a Kymco Stator in ten days or so.  Hopefully the new CDI, which arrives Tuesday, will do the trick!:P  Thanks guys.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 01:09:00 AM »
You are way more than welcome.
 I don't always like OEM (or people) but sometimes you gotts to deal w/ both. I hope you got your discount!!!

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 01:33:36 AM »
Have not ordered the magneto yet but when I called about the cdi a few days ago and asked about the 15% discount, they kind of hemmed and hawed and said they would give it to me as long as it didn't eat into their cost. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 01:47:30 AM »
Some items have more of a "margin" they do try to sell as cheap as they can to begin with.
Kevin is the go to guy in sales. Sr. manager or some such.

Hope it works out.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »
Well, well, well.......sometimes the blind hog does find the acorn!  I purchased the Kymco CDI late Thursday off of Ebay and it arrived today, via USPS, a day early (from Washington to Iowa)!  The CDI was supposed to be new, unopened, etc., etc., so when I saw that the plastic packaging had been opened and taped shut, I was a little leary.....however, when I swapped it out with the old one, the scoot fired up immediately!  Just to double check that the old one was bad, I put it back in again and nothing.  So, I guess I got lucky this time with the part I needed being available on Ebay when I needed it, and it was the correct fix of several possible fixes.  This malfunction also allowed me to learn a lot about the basic functioning of the ignition system on the scoot: AC vs DC system, magneto = stator, pulser coil = trigger coil = pickup coil and so on.  Again thanks to everyone that helped out!!! ;D ;D ;D 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()