Author Topic: TrailTech Tach AND Temp Sensors  (Read 4556 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
TrailTech Tach AND Temp Sensors
« on: May 09, 2014, 05:54:54 PM »
I've seen a few posts on the Trail Tech Tachometer and plan on getting one. I also want to get Their temperature sensor model. I have not found any posts on the temp sensor and was wondering why not. Did you look at them and decide not to purchase for some reason? Did you not think them accurate? My only concern is that you replace the spark plug washer and I do not know if there is enough room to screw in the plug and get the boot back on in the available space. There is an alternative mounting method where you place it on a head screw or something. Not sure about that.

This seems like a good idea to get one as it will tell me hopefully before something goes catastrophic with the engine. I also wanted to use it to see the diff in temp running regular vs synthetic oils.

TTO TEMP METER - BLACK - 10MM SPARK PLUG SENSOR

I'd like to here your opinions on this little device whether you have one or not. Thanks.
Wayne

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: TrailTech Tach AND Temp Sensors
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »
have not found any posts on the temp sensor
Related thread.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »
In my not so humble opinion the temp. sensor is useless on a four stroke unless you like useless info on your dash.

The only thing it will show is heat from pre ignition, and the bike wont run if that is the issue. They do serve a VERY small purpose on a two stroke but again by the time you see it the engine is telling you anyway.

An exhaust temp. gauge is a true indicator of what is happening in real time. You have to drill, and weld a bung in the pipe approx 6" from the head to use one.
I happen to have two digital EGT gauges that I never used. If you want one you can have it. You will have to buy a probe, and fitting but that is less than 15.00 for both.

Mine are the same as this but in red LED...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-DC-Temperature-Meter-for-K-Type-Thermocouple-EGT-with-Blue-LED-12V-C-/380899669040?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58af63b430&vxp=mtr

I installed one in the ZX, and simply cut a hole to the right of the key on the top of the floor board plastic.
There is a pict of it here...  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=6494.90
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:19:03 PM »
I have the TTO temp guage. Helps keep an eye on the temp as Ive done a bunch of mods and I am nowhere near zombie/lovemykymco/everyone else status as a tuner. :)
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
Another related thread.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 01:20:49 AM »
They are not useless Z, any info is good info...  ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:32:42 AM »
worthless crap! ;D ;D ;D  :P
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 01:44:13 AM »
looks coooool!!!....  :P :-*

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
So with the temp gauge, I was looking at using it to make sure I'm not overheating on long rides. I'm a little nervous to go on 50-100 mile one way trips with a lot of WOT without something that can give me some info on how the engine is taking it. With that in mind is the temp sensor a good place to look or would an oil temp sensor be better?
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »
So with the temp gauge, I was looking at using it to make sure I'm not overheating on long rides. I'm a little nervous to go on 50-100 mile one way trips with a lot of WOT without something that can give me some info on how the engine is taking it. With that in mind is the temp sensor a good place to look or would an oil temp sensor be better?
OK, tossing my 2 centimes in here, again, (for those readers who are considering buying a scooter) on this recurring subject of extended WOT scooter riding:
If you need or want to ride at 60MPH - please consider buying a scooter that has 70-75 MPH capabilities. Not a scoot that is maxed out at 60 MPH. You and your scooter might be a whole lot happier in the long run. There is probably enough good engineering in your smaller scooter to keep you relatively safe while WOT'ed at 60 MPH - but bigger scoots could do the same speed with a much larger cushion of designed engineering in the ride stability, cornering, braking, overtaking, etc.
Perspective owners - please think this through before laying down your pesos: Once you're done babying your new scooter - how will you really need/want to ride it?
Father Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »
Yeah Stig, hindsight is 20/20. I really bought this thing to run into "the big city" 15 miles away to go back and forth to work. Not too worried about the 7 miles of WOT it would take to do that along with the 30-40 mph city driving. BUT . . . I've come to love riding this first scoot I've ever owned and find myself looking for other things to do on it like go camping, rides to out of the way diners to have one of their famous burgers or corn dogs, etc. I've said it before that "I don't know what I don't know" beings this is my first scoot. I'm sure that has some to do with the wanting of these sensors also. I'm the kind of guy who likes his dicks all lined up in a row if you know what I mean and these gauges would get them a little closer to straight.
Wayne

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 02:52:22 PM »
I'm the kind of guy who likes his dicks all lined up in a row if you know what I mean
Mr. Terrilee?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 03:25:44 PM »
Yeah Stig, hindsight is 20/20. I really bought this thing to run into "the big city" 15 miles away to go back and forth to work. Not too worried about the 7 miles of WOT it would take to do that along with the 30-40 mph city driving. BUT . . . I've come to love riding this first scoot I've ever owned and find myself looking for other things to do on it like go camping, rides to out of the way diners to have one of their famous burgers or corn dogs, etc. I've said it before that "I don't know what I don't know" beings this is my first scoot. I'm sure that has some to do with the wanting of these sensors also. I'm the kind of guy who likes his dicks all lined up in a row if you know what I mean and these gauges would get them a little closer to straight.
No worries...shoot- I'd never even heard a scooter run until I started mine in the driveway (had it delivered) - I had - have - a million questions. I could write a book about the stuff I don't know. My comment is for those folks who are in the final days before purchasing a "cool looking scooter at a great price!" at the local dealer. Builders, like Zombie, notwithstanding - there is no substitute for cc's! (and wheelbase)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »
I'm the kind of guy who likes his dicks all lined up in a row if you know what I mean . . . .
Where's the auto correct when you need it. DUCKS. I meant DUCKS.  :-[ :-[
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 02:45:25 AM »
OK, tossing my 2 centimes in here, again, (for those readers who are considering buying a scooter) on this recurring subject of extended WOT scooter riding:
If you need or want to ride at 60MPH - please consider buying a scooter that has 70-75 MPH capabilities. Not a scoot that is maxed out at 60 MPH. You and your scooter might be a whole lot happier in the long run. There is probably enough good engineering in your smaller scooter to keep you relatively safe while WOT'ed at 60 MPH - but bigger scoots could do the same speed with a much larger cushion of designed engineering in the ride stability, cornering, braking, overtaking, etc.
Perspective owners - please think this through before laying down your pesos: Once you're done babying your new scooter - how will you really need/want to ride it?
Father Stig

So you are saying I would have been better off with a 30,000,000 cc engine? Where the F were you when I bought a 50cc???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The dealer said it would be fine!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()