Author Topic: My Agility suddenly stops the engine while driving......  (Read 4436 times)

Aquaviva

• View Profile
My Agility suddenly stops the engine while driving......
« on: May 10, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »

When I am driving my scooter suddenly the engine goes off. I will like to know if this  is an electrical problem or a gas problem. So when this happens what I do is to switch off the key ignition  , wait for a couple of minutes. Then I switch on and it starts inmediately and then I can continue. This might or might not happen always, but it happens. Battery is fully charged, full gas, the scooter is only 3000 kmts. What do you think is  the problem and how can i solve it ?

I will appreciate your insight on this issue.

Regards,

Aquaviva

Redundant

• View Profile
Re: My Agility suddenly stops the engine while driving......
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
You have not described what, if any, maintenance that you have done or regularly do, and what parts you may have replaced, if any.  Also the conditions under which the engine stops, i.e. sitting at idle, cruising, or wide open throttle.  Without such information the incredibly helpful people on this board can only guess.

I, not being one of the incredibly helpful people on this board, can only say that when something similar happened to me, it turned out to be a dirty fuel filter that needed to be replaced.  That is, of course, only a guess based on my personal experience and not enough information.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:49:55 PM by Redundant »

MoToFaLcon

• I Fly....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:38:44 AM »
Mine did that twice after i did a .04mm valve adjustment, but after it died twice it never died again, even in the severe cold (5°F), worked good. ??  Check valves again maybe? Make sure them locknuts tight.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:41:11 AM by MoToFaLcon »
WTF, i have a Ninja 650!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:40:21 PM »
Sounds like loose wiring. pull the plastics, and inspect/tighten all the connections.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »

THANK YOU all for your kind and prompt answers. I had a hospital issue and just came back home today Wednesday. As English is not my mother language I have to put into understandable  language the technicalities I am asked here, mostly from REDUNDANT. The fact is that I have only changed the spark plug once, but I have not touched the carburetor, at all, neither the filter. While running normally lets say 40-50 Kmts per hour it just stops as if the gas were cut off. It does not do it slowly or with engine explosions, neither try to start over again. It just is dead. Then I switch off the key ignition., wait a couple of minutes and then  I open the  key ignition and it starts without problem.

I thank you all for your kind help,

Aquaviva

Resolve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »
When this occurs is it after you hit a bump in the road. If so, were you at full throttle and what was the gas level.

I had issues that seemed when the gas tank would be about 1/4 or less full or 1/2 depending on the bump size. And I had the scooter at full throttle I would have issues of the engine sputtering and on ocassion stop.  it would take a second or two but would start back up.  I narrowed it down to the bump causing the full to move and allow air into the cylinder and not gas.  and these were dencet bumps not minor road changes or small bump but like mini pot holes or speedhumps (like speed bumps but wider at the top so not so much of a bumps)

I tested by hitting speed humps near my house at full throttle and it caused the engine to sputter.  then test by letting off the throttle when going over it and kept running fine.  I tried it a few times each and same results full throttle would sputter or stall.  letting off the throttle it was fine.

just another possibility

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 02:19:56 AM »
Sounds like easy fix clean carb and replace all the gas lines. And filter.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 02:26:42 AM »
or vacuum in the tank if the gas tank is full... air can't get in so fuel flow stops.... for a while...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:09 AM »
Still hard to guess but it sounds like CDI/Stator time to me. You do need to clean or replace the air filter, get a new fuel filter, change the oil, and inspect everything.

If it happens again pull off the spark plug boot, and using a screwdriver or nail or any metal thing check it immediately for spark. If there is no spark, and waiting a few minuets allows it to start again then it is either the cdi or stator. Buy them both, and swap the parts.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:36 AM »

Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH  FOR YOUR GOOD WILL TO HELP !!!

About RESOLVE suggestion on BUMPS: There are not bumps in this case because I am only driving on paved, flat, straight roads, and would swear there are not bumps at all at least in the couple of roads I use to drive here around my house in Dalsbruk, Finland.

The problem happens in 1 second without previous announcing, signals or symptoms. Is like when you suddenly  pull out the electrical cord from the wall outlet: no more tv !

I would like to go from the simple to the complex approach to fix the problem, because I don't feel like ready to disassemble  the carburetor. So I don't know if it is right to start by vacuuming the air filter, to check the gas filter, the gas tank. I guess the "gas lines" are the thin hoses transporting the gas between carburetor and tank. The spark check suggested by ZOMBIE I will sure do.

Please explain to me what is it the CDI/Stator. I am looking at  GOOGLE IMAGES and scooters-wise the only thing I found are those white multiple plastic electrical  connectors. I might be wrong. Please advise.

I also have a lose hose  about 2.5 in diameter that has detached from the crank case. Is clear where it attaches to the crank case but I have been unable to see where the other end connects, without  removing the whole floor.

Greetings to all from Finland,

Aquaviva

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:14:34 AM »
How old is your Agility? Is it 4 stroke or 2 stroke?

When did this problem start?

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »

Hei VIVO !!

I bought this  4 stroke scooter in June 2009.

The problem started in Fall last year. It happened  lets say less than 10 times, then the scooter was in the garage since October because of medical advise, till last week I started the scooter with the cran very easily after 6 months out of circulation. I have runned it for 3.500 kmts. since 2009.

It was always a matter of waiting a couple of minutes after a sudden stop to switch off-on again  and the scooter started without problem.

Hope this info is useful.

Greetings,

Aquaviva

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »
Oh I see... it was not used for six months... it's a carb thing... this usually happens after storage... clean your carb and use some carb cleaner, compressed air... If you don't feel ready to open up the carb, get a mechanic...

However, since this seldom happens as you mentioned, maybe it's just a little clog...  With the center stand on and the engine running, try spraying some good carburetor cleaner in the carb while revving the engine... 

Aquaviva

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »

I am sorry I did not explain enough. All these sudden stops occurred last year BEFORE  storing  the scooter in the garage during the Fall. Nowadays I am just doing preparations to avoid definitely a new sudden stop to hapen this summer. I would do the "peripheral" fixings to see if it is a matter of the  spark plug, the gas flow, etc, etc. The thing  is that labor is so expensive in Finland and if necessary I will have to do the carburetor cleansing myself.

Greetings,

Aqv.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 10:39:22 PM »
It's hard to guess. The 2.5 hose you see I imagine is the cvt breather (left front of crankcase?) That goes to nothing. It just lets air in the CVT.

Here's a vid of the stator...

I do think it is electrical in nature but it COULD be a grain of crap in the carb float bowl.
If you have spark when it stalls as per my earlier post then I would open the carb.

Also... Do all the tune up stuff. NEW fuel, and air filters, Spark plug, Oil change, Air in the tires...
Maybe you will see something along the way like a loose wire ect. At worst you spend 40.00 bucks, and sell the scoot. At best you have it all done, and you find a bad connection.

A few weeks ago a local gal asked me to look at her Sunny scoot that died, and her friend had it for a month, and couldn't start it. I pulled out the seat to get a view, and the CDI wire was unplugged but still in the plastic sleeve so it looked connected. yours may be loose. You have to elimenate alot of maybes to get to the positive.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()