Author Topic: Handling Stop Sign Overriders  (Read 1889 times)

Chris0381

• View Profile
Handling Stop Sign Overriders
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »
Nice ride last night but two scary incidents of cars over riding stop signs, partially coming into my path and the feeling they were going to pull out in front of me. I consider my self fairly visible with a bright orange jacket and yellow helmet and that may have actually saved me.

So you are going 30-35 down a rural road and a car suddenly passes the white line at the stop sign and comes partially out in the road. How do you handle that.

Do you just go one hoping they did see you ?

Do you swerve out of their path ?

Do you slow down and try and make eye contact  if you spot a car creeping in your path ?

2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: Handling Stop Sign Overriders
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »
I slow down and prepare to stop, just in case. I flash my headlight and/or hit the horn.
Then, if they give me a dirty look, I employ the universal sign language for "YOU'RE AN A@@HOLE! LEARN HOW TO F'ING DRIVE!!"

But, I'm just that kind of warm and lovable person!  ::) 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
I get nervous even in a cage cause it seems like on country roads when the corn start to grow tall, everyone is practically pulling into your path on county side roads before they stop. Something I'm very aware of cause the mother in law had someone pull out on her and she hit them at highway speed in her Toyota.

I've also been flashing the passing headlight when I feel nervous about an intersection. I slow on occasion also.
Wayne

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:52:11 AM »
Proceed with caution. Slow down and prepare to stop. Even if they are looking straight at you they may not see you - really!

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
I get nervous even in a cage cause it seems like on country roads when the corn start to grow tall, everyone is practically pulling into your path on county side roads before they stop. Something I'm very aware of cause the mother in law had someone pull out on her and she hit them at highway speed in her Toyota.

I've also been flashing the passing headlight when I feel nervous about an intersection. I slow on occasion also.

Had anther one yesterday actually much worse that previous days. I flashed my lights when I saw her creep right thru the stop sign and I believe she took my flashing the lights as a signal for her to proceed as thats what she did right out in front of me.

2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:15:56 AM »
Had anther one yesterday actually much worse that previous days. I flashed my lights when I saw her creep right thru the stop sign and I believe she took my flashing the lights as a signal for her to proceed as thats what she did right out in front of me.

Yep, I never flash my lights - that is some kind of signal to them that they can & will interpret any number of exciting ways!
In heavy day time traffic I ride with my high beams on....and I roll off the throttle at every side-street car and every on-coming turn-signalling car - until I'm well sure what they are going to do to me. Nothing. Or something!
Then, if you slow too much - they take that to mean that you are going to turn - so they pull out.

I find some success in a combination of slowing, turning my helmet towards them and moving towards the center of the road away from them. Cars to my left, I just roll off some and get ready if their tire moves.
I'm The Rolling-est Off-est guy in Ohio. And in my gov't. truck - I love to drive 3MPH below any posted speed. Pay-back for the way they drive around scooters. Makes 'em crazy -but they don't dare hit a gov't truck! (My thinking, if I end up in court: "That's the speed limit, not the minimum permissable speed, Your Honor!")
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
I start swerving back and forth a bit prior to the intersection, have my high beams on during daylight ,roll off the throttle,look directly at them AND which way their tire is turned , move toward center line and anticipate them doing the most assinine move they can ( they usually do ) .

The swerving idea came from an Advanced Motorcycle Safety Instructor. A bike coming straight at a car ( in an intersection ) is more invisible than one swerving (especially with high beams ) .

"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
I start swerving back and forth a bit prior to the intersection, have my high beams on during daylight ,roll off the throttle,look directly at them AND which way their tire is turned , move toward center line and anticipate them doing the most assinine move they can ( they usually do ) .

Love

The swerving idea came from an Advanced Motorcycle Safety Instructor. A bike coming straight at a car ( in an intersection ) is more invisible than one swerving (especially with high beams ) .

I was going to say that this would be a good question for an instructor.......
Thanks for your reply... I will try to remember this!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:11:14 PM »
Like the others say, pretend they don't see you and take action. Better to make room and be ready to emergency stop than to put your well-being into the driver's hands.

It's interesting to pull up next to a sketchy driver when safe. They tend to expect you to ream them out, but being nice and inquiring about their well being and current comfort behind the wheel throws them off and disarms them. Never know when you'll run into them again, and I'd rather make friends.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
What Wayne said!

In that situation, I turn on my high beams, put both hands on the brakes, slow down and expect the worst, just in case.

The horns on my bikes are okay but my Wing shares a horn with the Honda Accord and is very loud so I use it a lot, for instance if someone is drifting into my lane.

Eternal vigilance and rider paranoia will help keep you alive.

You also heave to check the approach to intersections even if you have the green light because lots of people run them. I was approaching an intersection and I had the green light and watched a guy in a new Chevy pickup just run the thing and didn't even look up. Probably texting.

I live in hilly Farm Country and slow moving equipment is everywhere so I slow down before I crest a hill or go around a blind corner because there may be a tractor going 5 mph right in the middle of the road.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »
I have a very loud Air Horn and I'm NOT afraid to use it.  It's actually in the open mounted at the bottom of the windshield.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »

I was going to say that this would be a good question for an instructor.......
Thanks for your reply... I will try to remember this!
Stig

You are welcome. I try to review as many safety riding tips as I can find . I think you have to be a defensive driver in order to survive nowadays .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()