Author Topic: Agility 50 Headlight Replacement and Brake Light Replacement  (Read 6435 times)

juniorbear5531

• View Profile
Agility 50 Headlight Replacement and Brake Light Replacement
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:57:43 PM »
Ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how do you get to the headlight and taillight bulbs? Are there any after market bulbs that are brighter, ie LEDS.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Agility 50 Headlight Replacement and Brake Light Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »
..OK..the headlamp, you get to by removing 6 phillips head screws on the inside of the front fairing...3 on each side...and then the one screw outside, there at the headlamp...the whole front comes off your scooter...

..I'll have to review the service manual to see how to get to the rear lamp...however, I don't think you can run a LED in the rear, as it's a dual-element lamp..one element for "driving" and the second element that's used when braking..

..there may be some brighter lamps that you can use, but unless you do find some LEDs, you can't use a much higher watt headlamp than the stock 35watt...the extra heat emitted by a higher watt lamp will melt the reflective plastic above the lamp...also, the shape of the lamp, and the position inside it's reflective housing are kinda critical ..if your lamp is not in the almost perfect position, the beam will not be projected correctly...the other thing with the headlamp is that it's also a dual-element lamp..So, if you do replace it with a suitable LED, you will have a situation where the lamp will not work in either the "High" or "low" beam switch setting, unless you modify your wiring...

...btw..welcome to the forum!!

peace
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:46:53 PM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

juniorbear5531

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »
cool thank you!!!!!!!! any ideas on better lighting on the back of the scooter? that back light is very dim

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »
...this is what I did..for increased visibility..

juniorbear5531

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »
how did you wire the lights, are they hard wired to battery and is there a switch, when it comes to wiring my usual outcome is a short or a fire

juniorbear5531

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
also are there replacement turn signals out there?

juniorbear5531

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 08:44:42 PM »
"Position" lamps,,, there are wires running from them,,,,, green and brownish color,,,,, i see on the plug the only the blue green and white runs get a contact,,,, which one of the wires from the position lamps should i hook up to, i know one is the regular headlight and the other is the high beam,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i want to hook it up so the position lights are on with the regular headlamp, what type of connection should i use and what gauge is the wire, can i splice it.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:50:59 AM »
how did you wire the lights, are they hard wired to battery and is there a switch, when it comes to wiring my usual outcome is a short or a fire

..I pulled a 16 gauge hot wire from the battery...through a 1/2 amp inline fuse..thru a toggle switch..out to the LED's positive wires...all of the LED's negative wiring, I took back to the battery's negative terminal...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 10:54:12 AM »
"Position" lamps,,, there are wires running from them,,,,, green and brownish color,,,,, i see on the plug the only the blue green and white runs get a contact,,,, which one of the wires from the position lamps should i hook up to, i know one is the regular headlight and the other is the high beam,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i want to hook it up so the position lights are on with the regular headlamp, what type of connection should i use and what gauge is the wire, can i splice it.

..I believe the white wire that goes to your headlamp is for the low beam...You can tie into that wire for the positive...the negative is the green wire...

..If you tie in those extra lamps, I would suggest that you replace the stock lamps with LEDs...What I once called "Position Lamps" are actually turn signals that are not DOT approved in the U.S. ..They are not meant to be burning all the time, and you will notice a dimming of your headlamp if you wire them into that circuit..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:15:45 PM by wordslinger »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
also are there replacement turn signals out there?

..I haven't ever looked for replacements...however I would suspect that there are numerous aftermarket signal lamps available...

..I replaced my rear signal bulbs with red LEDs..

peace
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:21:37 PM by wordslinger »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:48:47 PM »
When I first got my scoot, zx50, I hooked up the "position lights".  It significantly dimmed my headlight, so I unhooked them.  I just recently hooked the rear ones up as my turn signals and removed the lolly pop lights, much cleaner!  I haven't done the front ones yet though.  I need to get new ones with the wiring, the back ones had the harness already, it was just not plugged in.  I have been looking at getting led replacements for the tail lights and turn signals.  I believe they make "dual beam" led lights which can be used as the brake lights.   

juniorbear5531

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »
I got two LED bulbs at the auto parts store today, the part number is 194 A, these things are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I hooked them up to the white low beam wire and have had no issues with the headlight dimming. They really breakup the scooter and make it standout just enough in the front. Now all I need to do is add so more lighting in the back.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 10:24:37 AM »
When I first got my scoot, zx50, I hooked up the "position lights".  It significantly dimmed my headlight, so I unhooked them.  I just recently hooked the rear ones up as my turn signals and removed the lolly pop lights, much cleaner!  I haven't done the front ones yet though.  I need to get new ones with the wiring, the back ones had the harness already, it was just not plugged in.  I have been looking at getting led replacements for the tail lights and turn signals.  I believe they make "dual beam" led lights which can be used as the brake lights.   

COOL!!..I haven't seen them anywhere around local...I've looked...

..would like to find some...

..hhmmm...

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 02:33:33 AM »
I haven't really looked locally, but I have seen them online.  Not exactly sure if they work, but they call them "dual beam".

juniorbear5531

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 12:07:28 AM »
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Great site, all kinds of LED replacement bulbs and the accent lighting make great running lights!!!!!!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()