Author Topic: Oil Questions  (Read 4666 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Oil Questions
« on: May 16, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »
A few questions:

1. Do you recommend Rotella T 15W40 or a synthetic? If synthetic, which one?

2. When measuring oil from the dip stick, do you make sure the rear tire is touching the ground when on the center stand? How the bike is balanced seems to affect the reading.

3. The first oil change was at 1200km. Should the rest be at 1000k or 2000k intervals?

Thanks!

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Oil Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:08:45 AM »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 01:22:49 AM »
I used Castrol Syntec for as long as it was available but now use Castrol RS 4t. Full synthetic. I have NEVER lost an engine due to oil related problems, and use nothing but full synthetic products.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:49:08 AM »
Quote from: zombie link=topic=11713.msg117618#megabytes8 date=1400203369
I used Castrol Syntec for as long as it was available but now use Castrol RS 4t. Full synthetic. I have NEVER lost an engine due to oil related problems, and use nothing but full synthetic products.
Thanks Stig and
Hey Zom, Talk to us about your experience with full synthetics and "leaks". It is time for me to buy another case of oil (been using Amsoil scooter specific full synthetic) Keep going with this, or will there be minor leaks down the road?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:32:05 AM »
That's a wives tale. Any full synthetic is better than dino oil because it is designed to be better.
I think the guys that developed it 50 years ago were smart enough to make sure it couldn't harm seals. Those stupid tales were instilled by a holes that could not afford synthetics, and needed a reason to NOT buy it. The engine will last forever with it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 02:40:33 AM »
They don't really harm the seals... in the yesteryears synthetics just can't make the old dry seals swell enough to seal thus the leaks unlike dinos.... well, that's waaay before...

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 03:26:17 AM »
  one guy in texas told us rotella 15/40 full syn. was the best for small engines, because of the shear strength built into the oil,. designed for diesel engines,  and thats what breaks down the oil,. high rpm. and high compression,.  he said a few other things about how good it was for our scoots as well,. had a lot about oil last year,. look it up     I find any syn. oil is good  in the temp range you live in,.  I use castrol  5 / 50 full syn. in the scooter 300i downtown,. got 460,000 KM. on my van, and it runs perfect,  Ive used syn. oil in it from 6,000 km. 

X File

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 05:22:09 AM »
I have a agility with 15,200kms on it. I ve used the rotella for the past 4changes. I know the person who owned it probably didnt take good care it from the signs. I think the agility can handle the abuse.I dont trip on which oil to get. The manual says 15/40 so I go by that. Rotella is supposed to be the best 15/40. I see some guys on here go by syn so flip a coin :o

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
Guys how early in mileage can synthetic oil be used for the first time and should it still be changed at 1k or 2k intervals?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:23:49 AM »
Guys how early in mileage can synthetic oil be used for the first time and should it still be changed at 1k or 2k intervals?

You can use syn after the break-in period... synthetics lasts thousands of miles and don't break up... however, the problem is dirt in the oil and other stuff due to normal engine operation... I would just check the physical condition of the oil after, say, 2+ thousand miles and decide...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 02:01:57 AM »
What I THINK is the root of breakin/use of synthetics is... All of the engine parts are rough cast. and machined. Agreed?

The use of assembly lube is to compensate for breaking off or wearing in of the tolerances. Agreed?
Slick oils (synth) will not allow for these expected wear patterns. Agreed?

The MYTH that Synth is harmful to a new engine is born from the accepted variances in tolerances when an engine is assembled. Agreed?

Breakin is a form of letting the parts "hone" in to a set value. Agreed?

If the tolerances are too wide the engine will be "sloppy" If they are too tight it will create heat. Agreed?

If you build an engine it will be Blueprinted. If you buy an engine it will be what you get. Agreed?

Chances are the engine you get will be to accepted tolerances, and whatever oil you use can be harmful (cheap) or beneficial. Agreed?

Make up your own mind. Agreed!

One of the smartest posts I ever wrote. LOL  Agreed??

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 02:07:17 AM »
..yes, sir...agreed, in every aspect...   8)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 02:22:01 AM »
poor countries use used cooking oil... agreed!  ;) ;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 02:23:25 AM »
..lube is good...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 05:14:06 AM »
Agreed! :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()