Author Topic: Leaking front shock  (Read 1306 times)

Mr. Light

• View Profile
Leaking front shock
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »
Hello all, long time scooter/motorcycle rider, first time Kymco owner here.   I recently purchased a 2010 Yager with 5k miles that spent it's life in Venice a block from the ocean.  Needless to say it has some rust and corrosion on the exposed metal parts but is in generally great condition. 

It recently started leaking oil from the left front shock.  Is this due to a faulty seal?  Are parts accessible......... Is it a doable repair for someone who is very handy (and organized) but has never done the repair before? 

I can't find replacement fork seals online but I did see that a set of replacement forks are only $73 (God I love this thing!). 

Any advice/cautions appreciated

Best
Chris

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Leaking front shock
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
Hello all, long time scooter/motorcycle rider, first time Kymco owner here.   I recently purchased a 2010 Yager with 5k miles that spent it's life in Venice a block from the ocean.  Needless to say it has some rust and corrosion on the exposed metal parts but is in generally great condition. 

It recently started leaking oil from the left front shock.  Is this due to a faulty seal?  Are parts accessible......... Is it a doable repair for someone who is very handy (and organized) but has never done the repair before? 

I can't find replacement fork seals online but I did see that a set of replacement forks are only $73 (God I love this thing!). 

Any advice/cautions appreciated

Best
Chris
Hey Chris,
Can't help you with the shocks - just wanted to commend you on your excellent grasp of the English language. For an Italian - you have almost no accent! (yep, love the prices for spares on these scoots)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »
Hello,

If it is a Yager GT200i, the parts diagram is here:
http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=YAM#/Kymco_USA/SJ40AB_YAGER_GT_200i_%282009%29/F22_-_Separated_Parts_Of_Fr_Fork/04|~50|~0005/04|~50|~0063
 the oil seal and dust seal  Often the dust seal can be re-used.
Not sure about the stopper ring, but it is cheap.

The web site is a reliable company but we have not dealt with them.  If you are in Italy, then someone else is closer and now you have the part numbers.

Note: if corrosion has roughened up the slider (fork pipe) on the fork, then you need to smooth it with very fine emery cloth  to keep it from destroying the new seal.  Be sure to check both forks.  Most owners replace seals in both forks at the same time due to cost of labor to get forks off & on.

Some have had succe3ss with this tool: http://sealmate.net/  to clean to gunk and old rubber out of the seal.  We made our own tool and it worked.  Be sure to replace the fork oil in any case.
Scoot safely.
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
I use Brake Fluid to soften the seals. Add about two table spoons per fork, and leave it.
It reacts w/ the rubber , and softens it.
This always works as long as the seal is not damaged or the fork rusty/scared.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Mr. Light

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:12:00 AM »
You guys are great, thank you.  I'll try cleaning the seal first, might just order a new seal just in case. 

I was actually referring to Venice California, not Italy, explaining my firm command of the English language  :)

Thanks again for all of your help

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 02:36:06 AM »
I totally new that! like  Duh!  ::)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()