Author Topic: Gotta love cheap plastic parts!  (Read 1090 times)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Gotta love cheap plastic parts!
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
Had a nice surprise this weekend. I was wiping the scoot down to clean up the grime from some rain riding on my day off. While wiping down the rear fender, the housing for the license plate light decided to fall off on the ground! The base was still attached, but where the cover screws on, the threads just shattered!

I was a bit pissed, since I just bought the scoot a couple of months ago, and it only has 1050 miles on it.
Then I remembered......Even though I bought it "NEW" a couple months ago, it IS technically a 2012 model that sat in a dealer showroom for over a year. So, it undoubtedly had been poked and prodded by more than a few grubby little fingers in that time. So I probably shouldn't be TOO surprised if 1 or 2 of the cheap plastic parts ends up breaking.

Oh well!!  The part is cheap ($19) and should be in by payday this week. Until then, some good contact cement and a little black electrical tape are holding it nice and sturdy!

I plan on modding the rear section later this summer anyway. Gonna move the turn signals inboard (WHERE THEY SHOULD BE ANYWAY!), and ditch the hangdown fender altogether. Then a custom license plate bracket and light that's built a little tougher than the plastic crap that comes stock. I think it will look a lot better after I can do that.

Now I just need the time and money to start working on it!  8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Gotta love cheap plastic parts!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
Should be covered by your warranty if they registered you correctly. Go back to your dealer and ask.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »
Well, I thought about it, but I'm not really worried about it for a part that is less than 20 bucks. I rather just get it quick, and fix it myself. The Kymco dealer in my area are morons to begin with. They couldn't even handle the first service without screwing it up. I don't let them touch the scoot anymore. If it had been a major component that was expensive, I would be claiming it as a warranty issue.

Plus, I can't really prove that I didn't break it myself. I don't have a garage, so my scoot lives outside with a bike cover when the weather gets ugly.  I think the damn squirrels did it!!!!!!
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 05:47:51 PM »
Well, I thought about it, but I'm not really worried about it for a part that is less than 20 bucks. I rather just get it quick, and fix it myself. The Kymco dealer in my area are morons to begin with. They couldn't even handle the first service without screwing it up. I don't let them touch the scoot anymore. If it had been a major component that was expensive, I would be claiming it as a warranty issue.

Plus, I can't really prove that I didn't break it myself. I don't have a garage, so my scoot lives outside with a bike cover when the weather gets ugly.  I think the damn squirrels did it!!!!!!
Saw Vivo hanging 'round there 2 nights ago. He keeps a squirrel in his pocket.
Zombie
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()