Author Topic: When to stop fueling the tank  (Read 4904 times)

Flowbee

• View Profile
When to stop fueling the tank
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:30:24 AM »
I know the manual says don't top it off but I want to put as much gas In as I can. There is a metal bar close to the top of the tank. Is that thing the indicator to stop fueling? I've been filling it until the bar is barely submerged with gas.

PS I made it 110 miles before my first refuel so happy with the mileage.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:32:56 AM by Flowbee »

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: When to stop fueling the tank
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »
I use that metal bar as the cutoff mark. Several times I have gone over that mark and if I don't ride at least 20 miles after my fill up or should say overfil, gas will leak out when parked. I have had several occasions when I went into the garage only to be greeted by a strong smell of gasoline. Fortunately I park the scooter on a rubber runner so I just back out the scooter and remove the mat to the driveway to evaporate off followed by a rinse from the hose. Also I hose off the part of the scooter that had been contaminated by the gas overflow.

The manual states not to fill the tank into the neck portion of the fuel system. It could result in starting and performance issues until the gas trapped in the evap canister has evaporated off.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:20:52 AM by TroutBum »

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »
The gas station pumps always shut off about an inch below the bar. On my fuel gauge, this shows only 3/4 tank. Is it considered "in the neck of the tank" above that bar? Typically shuts off after a half gallon or so when it started at below quarter tank. It looks like another quart or two could fit in there.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »
I carry a small LED (bright!) flash light under the seat to help me make sure I do not fill too far. If I can bump the scoot a little with my knee and see the level touch that cross bar, I stop filling. In other words I fill to just below the cross bar, and have no issues. If I've filled to the cross bar by mistake, I ride carefully to drain her down a bit, before doing any jumps or plastic scraping ::)
(Man! they sell a lot of LIKEs !! IS it the #1 Kymco seller in the States?)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 01:26:56 AM »
PS I made it 110 miles before my first refuel so happy with the mileage.

I have averaged 80 mpg in over 85 tank fills. I never go beyond 120 miles before filling. At 120 miles the tank takes approximately 1.5 gallons to fill to the top of the bar at the base of the neck.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 01:47:15 AM »
I have averaged 80 mpg in over 85 tank fills. I never go beyond 120 miles before filling. At 120 miles the tank takes approximately 1.5 gallons to fill to the top of the bar at the base of the neck.
Trout, I am too tired to do the math: 85 fill ups, 80 MPG, 1.5 gal.
!!How many miles on your scoot!?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 04:38:50 AM »
Trout, I am too tired to do the math: 85 fill ups, 80 MPG, 1.5 gal.
!!How many miles on your scoot!?

Oops. Went back to my spreadsheet and revisited my tables. Found a formula error. The correct information is 72 fill ups totaling 89.48 gallons. The last fill-up on my odometer was 7,164.8 miles. That comes to approx 80 mpg.

techkraut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
One important factor to consider when topping off a tank, on my bike at least an overfilled tank appears to cause starting problems due to flooding out.  I suspect fuel is getting into a vent tube or something similar.  Have been able to reproduce the problem repeatedly  >:(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 10:42:51 PM »
That is exactly the problem. That vent tube is designed to filter vapor thru a canister. Once that canister gets raw fuel inside it will clog the vent, and create a vacuum inside the tank.

That metal bar or approx 1.5" from the top is all you should fill.
If it goes too far leave the cap at 1/2 twist so the vapor can vent until the level drops.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 01:40:21 AM »
One important factor to consider when topping off a tank, on my bike at least an overfilled tank appears to cause starting problems due to flooding out.  I suspect fuel is getting into a vent tube or something similar.  Have been able to reproduce the problem repeatedly  >:(
yeah, there is a sticker on the scoot.that says not to over fill the tank when fueling. I took out the vent hoses from the tank and worked on the one way valve in th little black plasticpiece which is cclipped in front of the tank. Worked air in and out.of it to free up the valve. Worked fine afterwards. Also worked on the cap with an air hose to clean and free up its breather holes. NO more vacuum forming in tank problem after that. Never caused a running issue, but seemed like it should have....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 12:42:35 AM »
I just learned yesterday not to fill past the cross bar.  I came back to a small puddle of fuel on the asphalt.  Lesson learned.  Although I must say, thus far I'm not getting great mileage, or at least what I expected; 80mpg. 

I got 83 miles for 1.3 gallons; however I guess I need to factor in that I did overfill the time before.  I wonder how much fuel that equates to?  .05, .07, .10, .15 of a gallon?

I can say that for the most part I don't drive it more than 48 mph around town, so am baffled why I'm not getting 80mpg?  More like 61  :-\
Why lose weight, buy more horsepower......

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 12:53:37 AM »
What year is your bike CRZ, and how many miles are on it?

There are a Lot of things that can add up to make poor MPG, and the simplest of them all is tire inflation. Maybe we can help you sort it out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

CrzRani

• Rani
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 11:17:19 PM »
What year is your bike CRZ, and how many miles are on it?

There are a Lot of things that can add up to make poor MPG, and the simplest of them all is tire inflation. Maybe we can help you sort it out.
I've got the 2013 Like and tire pressure was a little low on the front and rear when I took it in for it's 200 mile service (22 & 26), but I've since put what I was told of 25F & 29R for no passengers.  I have now 280 miles.  I'm assuming the Kenda tires that are on there are the tires that come on all new Likes?
Why lose weight, buy more horsepower......

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 11:23:26 PM »
Chen Shin is what Kymco normally uses. Kenda is news for me. Good side is Kenda is a better tire than Chen Shin.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 01:49:20 AM »
I've got the 2013 Like and tire pressure was a little low on the front and rear when I took it in for it's 200 mile service (22 & 26), but I've since put what I was told of 25F & 29R for no passengers.  I have now 280 miles.  I'm assuming the Kenda tires that are on there are the tires that come on all new Likes?
If you ride much in the wet - give some thought to City Grips - on advice from veterans here, I replaced the Kendas at 440 miles.
They are not expensive. Pd @ $100 for the pair - and your bike buddy can mount them for you for a 6-pack. Approaching 8000 miles and still a lot of tread - fronts will likely last until The Rapture.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()