Author Topic: Where is the index mark on my scooter  (Read 5008 times)

csor.zola

• View Profile
Where is the index mark on my scooter
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:45:56 AM »
Hi all,

I would like to do the valve clearance on my bike and T markmark on the fly wheel needs to be aligned with the index mark on the crankcase. But where is the index mark? I can't see it. Could someone point it out for me?
Thanks

csor.zola

• View Profile
Re: Where is the index mark on my scooter
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 06:49:42 AM »
And from another angle

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 06:50:50 AM »
You don't need to look at the flywheel at all. There are three holes on the side of the cam sprocket, the large one goes to the "top" of your engine, the two smaller holes lineup with the flat edge of the cylinder head where the valve cover seals.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:11:02 PM »
You don't need to look at the flywheel at all. There are three holes on the side of the cam sprocket, the large one goes to the "top" of your engine, the two smaller holes lineup with the flat edge of the cylinder head where the valve cover seals.
BUT, if we wanted to double check...see his T in his picture.....but where the HECK is it supposed to line up in that "V" just nearby his "T"  ??!! Is it supposed to line up in the bottom of the  "V"...or what?!
or what??!! He is very close in his second picture. So, does anyone know WHAT their relatioship is supposedto look like when we do this procedure ...then the 3 holes will also be spoton!!
Stig

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:21:55 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 12:00:53 AM »
Yeah, you got it stig. If you wanted to double check the cam was set correctly from the factory you line the "T" up with the center of the "V" cutout on the case. I've never seen the cam timing wrong from the factory tho so it's just more work to take off that cooling shroud than it's worth. PLUS there is a plug to look into that :)
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 02:24:41 AM »
Yeah, you got it stig. If you wanted to double check the cam was set correctly from the factory you line the "T" up with the center of the "V" cutout on the case. I've never seen the cam timing wrong from the factory tho so it's just more work to take off that cooling shroud than it's worth. PLUS there is a plug to look into that :)
Yep, I look in the hole after removing tje plug....but the T is so faintly stam poo ed, plus did not see a definitive mark.....just that v notch. THANKS for your info!!.
The British have a saying: "belt and suspenders!"
Thats me , when it comes to my scoot!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

csor.zola

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »
You know...I was thinking of that. Set up the cam sproket and then do the valve clearance.but the question is will it be spot on? When I did it by turning the cam sproket in the right position i checked the flywheel and took a picture. You can see. Nothing in the nearby except that "v". Well...close but not close enough. became unsure if I am correct or not. I checked the manual but it has a total different drawing. And my cooling fan case is broken completely. There is no timing hole.
Anyway I will have to do it as you said. It seems no other way

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
You know...I was thinking of that. Set up the cam sproket and then do the valve clearance.but the question is will it be spot on? When I did it by turning the cam sproket in the right position i checked the flywheel and took a picture. You can see. Nothing in the nearby except that "v". Well...close but not close enough. became unsure if I am correct or not. I checked the manual but it has a total different drawing. And my cooling fan case is broken completely. There is no timing hole.
Anyway I will have to do it as you said. It seems no other way
Here is how it looks on my Kymco. I added color to make it easy to see.
"T" is next to a line in the metal, the line points into bottom of the "V" .
I did this and my sprocket 3-holes were perfectly positioned.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

csor.zola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
Wow....thank you soon much for your help. I really appreciate it. But shouldn't it align with bottom of the "V" ? So, how do you know how far is should be from that line. Compering with mine position I think it is the same or nearly. I am not sure. I do not have the timing hole and I think it is depends on the angle as well from where you look at it.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
Wow....thank you soon much for your help. I really appreciate it. But shouldn't it align with bottom of the "V" ? So, how do you know how far is should be from that line. Compering with mine position I think it is the same or nearly. I am not sure. I do not have the timing hole and I think it is depends on the angle as well from where you look at it.
No, not an angle issue....that blue line is a mark in the metal....you turn engine forward until that metal line points deep in bottom of V...then double check with the sprocket 3-holes. All should line up.
If you have no line visible (look close - it is VERY faint line on my scooter !), and you have the "T" close - then go by the 3-Holes Sprocket....AND you find some small movement in the sprocket (and in the valve rocker arms)
Then you are close enough for a nice scooter (if not NASA)
Good luck
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

csor.zola

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »
Ooooh yeah....now I see. I thought the line of the "T" has to aling with the bottom of the "V". Uhh how daft I am. Anyway thank you very much. I gonna check it tomorrow. But one question. If my scooter runs well if...if...she decides to start so  does it mean the ignition is fine?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:01:26 PM by csor.zola »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 02:53:51 AM »
YeP!

csor.zola

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 06:26:43 PM »
I have found an other method to set the valve in the perfect position. If you remove the spark plug and gently insert a screwdriver until your screwdriver touches the piston. As you turn the flywheel you can feel when it reaches the top dead center. And then you can adjust the valves
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:48:36 PM by csor.zola »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()