Author Topic: I Turned Over, Nuts!  (Read 1451 times)

Vision

• View Profile
I Turned Over, Nuts!
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
About an hour ago on a back road I made a S turn 15-20mph and didn't respect the light amount of water in the road and the bike went down. I'm fine, have a little road rash. The front left turn signal works but is hanging; plastic is scrapped up. The only real issue is the front wheel is now off center a few inches with the handle bars. I drove it home.

If everything is solid but off a few inches is it still safe to drive. It seemed ok on the ride home.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: I Turned Over, Nuts!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 10:45:36 PM »
About an hour ago on a back road I made a S turn 15-20mph and didn't respect the light amount of water in the road and the bike went down. I'm fine, have a little road rash. The front left turn signal works but is hanging; plastic is scrapped up. The only real issue is the front wheel is now off center a few inches with the handle bars. I drove it home.

If everything is solid but off a few inches is it still safe to drive. It seemed ok on the ride home.
Can you get a few pictures of the front  and post?
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:04:46 AM »
If its just slightly crooked it's not like the wheel is going to fall off but you probably bent the steering stem a little bit. :(
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

The Mantis

• 2013 Agility 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »
Sorry to hear the bad news!  :( Glad its not any worse than it is. 

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:06:16 AM »
There's not much damage. I have no idea how the black plastic over the wheel and on the handle bars is scrapped up but the red area and nothing else is.

Anyway, you can see the front wheel is off a little.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 01:07:24 AM »
If its just slightly crooked it's not like the wheel is going to fall off but you probably bent the steering stem a little bit. :(

Is this adjustable or a big deal to replace?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 01:12:46 AM »
Not really adjustable but try bashing the handlebars to the right as hard as you can sometime it can straighten out. The steering stem is moderately easy to replace with basic tools and not to expensive.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zgr7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:47:59 AM »
My scooter had fallen due to rain cover catching wind and pulling the scooter with it , when i had first gotten it several years ago :o. The handlebar lock was on and it had caused the same steering problem that we see on that photo. The service guys had told me that they encountered this kind of problem regularly and they always fixed it simply by twisting the fork clamp with a tool. They had done the same thing on mine and after 18000km in very hard conditions (regular offroading and such), it still works flawless to this date. Of course, if you don't want to have any doubts in your head, simply change the whole steering tube part.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
Went back to the area today and took a look around. This area always has a little water coming over the road and some algae has built up so it's fairly slick- I could almost slide across it wearing sneakers like it was ice. This is a new type of hazard for me, not just wet but routinely wet areas.

Anyway, I'm thinking of putting new tires on just to be safe. Probably city grips.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()