Author Topic: new and in search for a GTi300  (Read 2995 times)

Budz

• View Profile
new and in search for a GTi300
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »
Hello all

I am  new to the forum and new to riding (2 years now). I started with a loaner from my friend a Kymco Agility 125 cc for a 7 months and then I bought a Honda Sh150i (currently I have for sale) and want to upgrade to the GTi300. The Agility was too small for me but lots of fun to ride and the Honda is smooth and civilized but I need to ride short stints on the highway and a 150 cc is not fun on the highway. I have read all your posts which were very helpful and took the GTi 300 for a few test rides and I love it!! It is so much fun! I want the GTi300 as soon as I sell my Honda. I narrowed my search to these two bikes, a new 2013 GTi300 in silver for $4,200 out the door and a used 2013 black one with 125 miles for $3,700 OTD, your thoughts on the bikes and prices are appreciated.  So, after much thought a 300cc is what I need for downtown riding and occasional short highway stints, Vespa GTS300/BV330 are not for me due to quality and physical fit (I am 6' 2" 196 lbs) and the Honda Sh300i is not available in the US, the Gti300 is not a perfect fit but it works nicely for me and what a blast to ride!!

So, here are my questions, while I love my Honda Sh150i (153 cc w/15.5 hp) I need more power for some highway rides, and my concern is the Honda quality vs Kymco but everything I read in the US and euro sites say great things about Kymco quality but I did see the posts about the slipping belt in the rain and exhaust screws that fall apart. But then again I see people on this form with 40,000 miles on the GTi300, impressive... I also know that Kymco builds engines for Honda, Suzuki and BMW to name a few.

Your thoughts and advise are greatly appreciated and sorry for this long post!

Thanks
Budz

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
my 2c
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:35:08 PM »
I tried out an SH150 for my wife when she was getting in to scooters. The SH150 is a nice scoot.
I own a GT300 myself. The difference between the 150 and 300 is like night and day.
If you buy a GT, you will see what I mean.

The exhaust pipe on the GT has a small cover on it that tends to loosen. All one has to do is put some red Loctite on the threads.

As far as the belt slipping in the rain, I got caught in a down pour last summer and my belt did not slip.
Not saying it does not happen on occasion but, this does not seem to be a wide spread problem.
Anyway, I don`t like riding in the rain if I can help it.

ps: The Kymco GT300 is one sweet ride.

IMHO, the Kymco Downtown, Kymco GT300, and the Honda SH300 are the best on the market at this time, "all things considered".

Those prices quoted, "out the door", are reasonable.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:27:39 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: new and in search for a GTi300
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 08:38:36 PM »
  I agree with Boo. I also had the bolts holding the small exhaust cover loosen up. A little Loctite and your all set. I moved up from a People 150 for more highway speed. Best thing I ever did. GTI300 is a terrific scoot.

As far as your choices, I say go with the color you like. That mileage is a mute point, but you have to live with the color you choose. They both sound like a decent deal and I'm sure you would love either. Good Luck with your choice.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:43:33 PM by mrmike »
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
I have just under 400 miles on my GT300i.  I just tightened the screws holding on the muffler guard a couple times.  The washers are heat resistant and tend to flatten out a little due to heating and cooling.  They stay tight after a while ( At least they did on my Like 200i), loctite would work too.  The seat is the only other issue I don't think is on par with Honda or Yamaha. It is a poorly engineered seat but I purchased an Airhawk AH2MED seat pad that fits the bike pretty good and fixed that issue.  I really think the larger tires and 300 cc engine make this a great scooter.  It's hard to find one this size with the flat leg room these have.  The speed makes driving on the highway fun.  Mine goes 80 mph easy even with the windshield.  Two up is no problem either.  Drive safe.

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
The moment of truth! I am now ready to buy my next scooter, Vespa GTS300 or Kymco GT300i...

Man's eternal struggle, does one go for the beautiful girl that will complicate one's life or the sensible girl that would make a great partner...

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »
Wait, your buying a girl? I thought you wanted a scooter? If you can buy a girl I want one!

Ok, if this pushes you over the edge, I just ordered a GT300i Saturday. I rode several scoots and test rode the GT a couple times and it just felt right. Upright seating position, the gold color, the build quality of course, that great gutsy horse power! It amazed me every time I twisted the throttle how much power it had.
   It should be in in about a week and I can't wait. I hope I can get through the break in period by July 4th so I can do an overnight up north. I have a feeling I won't but one can hope right?

And as far as the girls go, if she has a sweet face and a truly sweet heart, it's the sensible one every time! The more wonderful and loving a person is the more beautiful they become.

Good luck with the shopping and ride safe. Post pics when you get your scoot, mscmkr

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »
Test ride a BV 350 its only a little bit more and had better underseat storage, power, and seat comfort.

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »
Test ride a BV 350 its only a little bit more and had better underseat storage, power, and seat comfort.

I did, it was the first one I tried but it was a bit small for my height

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »
I am confused. I am 5'10" and i flat foot the people. The BV made me tippy toe. The BV is taller.

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:45:50 PM »
Buds, 2013 Gti on eBay all colors less than$4000.00. In Wisconsin, Drive a little save a lot!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()