Author Topic: Is your Kymco made in China?  (Read 14838 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Is your Kymco made in China?
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
Mine is......a LIKE 200i.
Are any other Kymcos made in China ?
Stig
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:44:18 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Is your Kymco made in China?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
All of them except for some of the smaller 50cc - 150 cc bikes. They make the 50's there because it is their largest market share.
Kymco has established 3 factories in China to produce their bikes one in Jakarta, and one in Taiwan.

The China plants now put out all the parts.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:58:28 AM »
Why does yamaha make parts for kymco

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »
Super 8 and Agility City come from China too.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 07:52:33 AM »
Incorrect, all of their big bike 300cc and up as well as Compagno bear the glorious made in Taiwan seal of approval!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 10:14:19 AM »
Incorrect, all of their big bike 300cc and up as well as Compagno bear the glorious made in Taiwan seal of approval!!!

The Yager (well under 300cc) also says it's made in Taiwan.
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:59:52 AM »
People are attracted to the Kymco brand because of its affiliation with Taiwan then to find out its made in China.

Yikes!!!

People pay a premium for the Kymco Brand.

Lets be honest; In the USA, China is synonymous with poor quality from cheap labor.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:15:13 AM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
People are attracted to the Kymco brand because of its affiliation with Taiwan then to find out its made in China.

Yikes!!!

People pay a premium for the Kymco Brand.

Lets be honest; In the USA, China is synonymous with poor quality from cheap labor.

So true.
Back in the day we said that about japan.......and honda.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
some manufacturers
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
Make parts in the country of origin, then have the bike assembled in China.
This is a notable difference than being totally manufactured in China.
Parts are of high quality from France, Taiwan, etc.
Some are assembled in China but, not made there.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »
I have read that the first LIKEs were made in Taiwan...then there was something like a $700 price drop....as they were switched to China.
The first thing all of us new LIKE owners did was peel off the Made in China sticker on the leg shield.
For a lot of us, made in Taiwan is the new Japan.
The prevailing thinking on quality seems to be:
#1  Japanese scooters
#2 Taiwanese scoots
#14 Chinese scoots

I do not know where Vietnam, India and Thailand made products, as sold by Vespa and Honda, fall in this discussion.
Reality, or prejudicial thinking?
I did as much research on scooters as I knew how last year - but I am a much better informed buyer, now,  than I was 13 months ago when I purchased my first scooter.
That being said, I don't think too many of us are disappointed with our purchase of the LIKE200i - and probably only the engine power is disappointing the 50cc LIKE owners. The 125 owners seem to be happy, as well.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
There was a famous saying I remember as a kid: "Made in Japan from an old tin can."

The imported Japanese cars changed the public's perception about quality control, build and reliability.

The Imported Japanese Motorcycles, being more reliable, lighter, cheaper and much faster, ruined the Domestic and European markets.

The way China is going they will own the world soon or at least their economies. Look what is going on in the world with China politically!

If I had known or knew that my 500 was/ is made in China I would sell it in a heartbeat.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
I've been working at a Kymco dealer since before the likes came out. Those were really the first batch of bikes other than the Agility that said made in China. It was a sad day opening the crate and seeing that sticker. That being said there are vastly different quality of parts coming out of China now, I've torn apart the Like GY6 a few times and the casting and machining is way better than generic brand China scooter. Just think about how your giving a 12 year old the opportunity to work and earn a decent 2$ a day wage to bring home to his family, doing good for the world! The Taiwanese are too stinking rich now.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
The Chinese can produce some incredibly high quality goods like iPhones. Just needs the right investment and boots on the ground to ensure quality control. I don't like tacky Made in Anywhere stickers plastered on the front of my bike, so I remove them with a heat gun.

Just think about how your giving a 12 year old the opportunity to work and earn a decent 2$ a day wage to bring home to his family, doing good for the world! The Taiwanese are too stinking rich now.

I really think you're trying to say something positive and heartwarming and want to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think it's coming out the way you expect it to and instead becomes incredibly offensive and insulting to me.

While I want to avoid turning this thread into a political commentary, I must mention my family has lived through immense poverty for generations in China. Today I'm watching globalization screw over developing nations and make them completely dependent on wealthy nations. I'm watching the ever rising price of oil making it prohibitive to ship food in needed amounts long distances to hungry, dependent people.

I have no idea how a picture of making $2 a day in a factory today will help a 12-year-old study in school and still have fun being a kid. Are we justifying putting overseas communities and children into wage slavery and painting a happy picture on it for our benefit? That these unfortunate people should be thankful for what we give them?

Not this has any bearing about how Kymco factories in China or Taiwan are actually run.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »
It was strictly a joke my good sir, not meant to offend. But while were on the political note China owns America and they do that by raping their citizens on $2 a day or whatever wages and exporting goods. It's nothing new, wealthy nations have always pillaged and taken advantage of poorer nations and despite how cynical that sounds its not going to change. I have no doubt in the near future the roles will flip flop and China will be dominant world power and America will be a 3rd world country (IMHO were already pretty much there). I'm sorry to hear you had to grow up in that type of situation and again just a misplaced politically incorrect joke.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 05:37:28 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. :)

For me, scooters symbolize independence and freedom. It has been interesting selling them as empowering urban personal transportation and not as just another commercial good like a container of pet rocks. I am very thankful I have that freedom at my job and not have to push bikes to meet a dumb sales quota.

Affordable, well made, and responsibly produced bikes from China and Thailand can be a boon. I hope to get more people out of cars and help them reconnect with the community around them instead of seeing them sitting frustrated and trapped in a car during the daily grind.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()