Author Topic: Prize for highest 1st service  (Read 3712 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Prize for highest 1st service
« on: June 01, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
(found this in my files today)
Do I win the prize for the highest first service charge from an authorized KYMCO dealer for a scooter?
I asked the service tech. how much the first service (200 or 600 miles) would cost.
He went to his computer and printed out this estimate for me....the second page added the tax. The total was $372.38. This was somewhat more than 10% of the cost of my scoot. $23 in parts, the rest was 3.5 hrs labor, tax and shop fees. The tech explained that the valve adjustment alone would take a couple of hours - because of all the plastic panels which have to be removed.
[I was sure surprised when I found myself sliding a feeler gauge into my valves 20 mins after beginning my first attempt on a scooter. (kinda sad that he apparently had never serviced a LIKE200i, inspite of the yrs they had been selling them)]

This was the day I went on-line and purchased the cyclepedia.com manual and $60 worth of scooter tools for my LIKE200i!
Since my research showed the Kymco to be a well made scoot - I figured to do ALL the servicing myself and keep careful records & receipts. My scoot has never been to the dealer for servicing.
Lesson learned - ask price of typical service before buying that scoot or from that dealer.
My scoot has been bullet proof so far (13mos & nearly 6000 miles)
Stig
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:40:00 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Prize for highest first service $$
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
Yeah that's bogus. There is about maybe and hour and a half of work TOPS and 5-10$ parts total 😁
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: Prize for highest first service $$
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »
That's crazy!
I got my Super 8 150 serviced at 400 miles.
Oil and gear lube change, Valves checked, carb jets checked and cleaned, and spark plug replaced.
Total- $126   Which I still thought was a bit much.
Plus my dealer did a half-assed job and forgot to tighten a couple things so they haven't touched it since! Doing it all myself now.
1300 miles and enjoying it more every day!!!  8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

donandrews

• View Profile
Re: Prize for highest 1st service
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:57:49 AM »
Yep Stig - so far as I am concerned you win the (booby) prize. My first service at about 500 miles cost me a little over $20 for parts - the labor was courtesy my dealer. Original plug replaced at about 1500 miles (second service) and then because the porcelain was starting to crack. Still on the second plug and going strong. Dealer has done literally all the service work. Bought mine about same time as you and have about same mileage. I now have a total of about $350 for service in the past year. If I would have done it would have cost at least twice as much to undo what I did. You know the old shop sign.. Labor $25 an hour. $50 an hour if you watch. $75 an hour if you worked on it first. I figure I have saved hundreds by having the shop do the work
I tend to ride a bit faster than you. My scoot just sings at 55-60 mph and I frequently run it WOT for several miles on my weekend rides. No doubt yours will last longer, but I hope to get a People 300 in the near future anyway. Am having a hard time talking my dealer into getting one for me to test ride. He thinks I should buy it first before he orders one. They seem to be pretty scarce here in the Northwest. Hopefully this summer.
Keep up the good work on your posts Stig. I enjoy them all.
Peace and Ride Safe,
Don
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 02:05:08 AM »
Don where are you in the PNW? Were in Portland and have two black GT300 for $1000 off. Black in color, come test one out.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:38:16 AM »
You got me beat by more than double. It's a good thing you're doing your own service now. The the savings and save up for your next ride.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
Im glad you did your own service. That estimate is totally absurd.

Let me ask, do you have witness marks on certain bolts. I have and always pays to check the occasionally.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:48:43 PM »
Im glad you did your own service. That estimate is totally absurd.

Let me ask, do you have witness marks on certain bolts. I have and always pays to check the occasionally.
Yep, sure do....all over the scoot.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

donandrews

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 12:49:25 AM »
Don where are you in the PNW? Were in Portland and have two black GT300 for $1000 off. Black in color, come test one out.
Bettin - In Brownsville - about 90 miles due south on I-5. In PDX a lot. Where are you? Thought I contacted everyone there. Leaving June 9 for Norway/Sweden until first part of July. Will connect back w/you then. Would prefer a gold one, but for a grand off.....
Peace and Ride Safe,
Don
2012 Like 200i   
Lusting for People 300GTI, but recently purchased Vespa 250GTSie instead.
Brownsville OR 
Home of Willamette Country Music Festival and
movie "Stand By Me"

Normal is Relative

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 01:46:59 AM »
We're right across the river from downtown. The gold is hot, for some reason we have had these black ones for about a year. Give us a call when you get back 503-872-8565.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 03:36:48 AM »
You are definitely the winner Stig! I have the same dealer as donandrews and I have paid about 20 bucks for first service in which case they picked up and delivered (about 20 miles each way). Second service at 1500 miles was $138 bucks including valve adjust and oils and a new plug. and again free delivery. Since then all services have been done by me.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 04:37:11 AM »
Bettin - In Brownsville - about 90 miles due south on I-5. In PDX a lot. Where are you? Thought I contacted everyone there. Leaving June 9 for Norway/Sweden until first part of July. Will connect back w/you then. Would prefer a gold one, but for a grand off.....
Peace and Ride Safe,
Don

If you are into booze/home distillation I have a friend in Sweden that sells automated home distillation systems all over the world. He is part of a small click of guys that make some of the finest vodkas on the planet. If you are interested I can hook you guys up, and perhaps you can sample some of his outstanding wares, and enjoy a day at his distillery. Post or Pm if you are interested.
As a matter of fact he just spent a week here in the states (memorial week) demonstrating his systems in Chicago.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
Would love to go to Sweden ( my Heritage) , but- gotta work for The Man to make my pittance of wages ( Large Hospital ) .

I do , however , make my own Mead ( our bees make the Honey for us , though ) and am experimenting with various flavors related to different fruits we grow ( Blackberry,Peach,Strawberry , Blueberry )...just not sure  how well Maine Lobster Mead would go over  .  :P :P

We do have some local Fransiscan Monks who Brew a Maine Whoopie Pie Porter that it to die for here , though .   ;D ;D ;D
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 09:59:37 PM »
You are definitely the winner Stig! I have the same dealer as donandrews and I have paid about 20 bucks for first service in which case they picked up and delivered (about 20 miles each way). Second service at 1500 miles was $138 bucks including valve adjust and oils and a new plug. and again free delivery. Since then all services have been done by me.
Yo, how far will they pick up & deliver!?
Tell 'em my scoot will be washed and down the end of the drive...the only blue & white one down there. They can't miss it.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 10:54:18 PM »
Stig- When I received a new  air filter they said to bring 'er in and we'll install it free of charge! I think they miss me. ;D
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()