Author Topic: Belt silp  (Read 3579 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Belt silp
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:58:42 PM »
Actually the belt cannot slip if everything else is in good working order.

The first post sounds like worn rollers not allowing full travel of the cvt.

One of the responses added too heavy a roller, and cannot get to top MPH. He should actually have gone Lighter.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:52:11 AM »
Non roller related belt slipping in rain by others? Finally figured out the design flaw in our scoot. The plastic cover over the metal belt cover has an open slot on underside with nothing to stop water from entering and the metal cover has a hole above the variator. Actually a dangerous situation in heavy rain. I have glued those blue scrubbing pads to inside of plastic cover over slot. Still allows airflow in but inhibits water splashing into belt. Not perfect but much better. No pictures!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 03:28:15 AM »
That is quite curious to me. I run bikes with completely open covers in the Florida monsoon season with no ill effects on the cvt.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11422.0;attach=9366;image

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:37:59 AM »
Zombie, I have ridden 3 different scoots over 75k in the last 6 years. A people 150, BV 250 and the GTi. Never had an issue with the other two. There is a design flaw with the Gt. The first time it happened I thought I hydroplaned but after happening multiple times I know it's the belt and it's quite unnerving when you can't maintain speed on slight grades in the wet. I am on my third belt and new or old it happened. Covering the slot has helped. At least  she now maintains speed on grades. Be safe

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 02:48:59 AM »
That's really strange, I'm with Zombie in the sense that I've ran with open cvt and with lots have no gasket but cover on had no belt slip. I'll look on one of our DT tomorrow to see what you mean. I have yet to have any customer complaints of belt slip and it rains a LOT here!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 03:04:35 AM »
I see your point on blocking the water helping. Can't argue with that.

I do wonder which side is slipping... Perhaps is is even the clutch itself. The open vents are not what I would consider a flaw but there is obviously an issue.

I would tear it all apart, and look for glazed parts or maybe even make some witness marks on the parts like the drive boss. I can see that slipping if it is not properly torqued.

Just throwing some ideas out there...

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 02:35:35 AM »
I have brought the belt slipping before and someone else has mentioned they had it happen as we'll. I not being a smart man don't know when not to ride. If anyone else has this problem please make sure to chime in.

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
I have brought the belt slipping before and someone else has mentioned they had it happen as we'll. I not being a smart man don't know when not to ride. If anyone else has this problem please make sure to chime in.
My apologies Sccotalot, I am new to the forum and should have indeed posted on the same thread you had started when commenting on this topic, my error. I am deciding between the GT300 and Vespa GTS 300 and want be know what I am getting into. The G5 is a new engine, so I am asking, since I am leaning heavily towards the GT300.   

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:53:08 AM »
Buds, Having owned a 2007 BV250 and the GT for pure transportation the GT is a better machine. Less money and problems than the Piaggio. Both good brands but the Kymco is cheaper to keep. Dealership support is important too.

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 08:43:43 AM »
I have only rode in the rain twice on my GT and experienced the belt slipping both times. Basically when I would hit the gas the engine would rev up but the bikes speed would stay the same or slow down. It started after about 10 or 15 minutes of highway riding at about 60 mph and in steady rain.
Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »
I have only rode in the rain twice on my GT and experienced the belt slipping both times. Basically when I would hit the gas the engine would rev up but the bikes speed would stay the same or slow down. It started after about 10 or 15 minutes of highway riding at about 60 mph and in steady rain.

The mechanic at the local dealer says the belt in his personal GT also slips.
Wonder if Kymco will revise the design in future models and issue solution for the current units...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:48:40 PM by Budz »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 01:51:28 AM »
This is a VERY good thread. Not so much for the bike but very good information.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()