Author Topic: Stronger fuse for power outlet  (Read 1195 times)

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Stronger fuse for power outlet
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
Seems like I recently read a thread ,here, where someone put a stronger (higher Amp ) fuse for the power outlet. This was to boost the weak electrical system that the DT 300i seems to have and to allow for GPS/heated gloves and the like .
I can not seem to locate the thread...anyone able to help/offer advice and direction on how best to do this?

I'd like to be able to run some things from the outlet, rather than just use it for phone  charging purposes .

Thanx
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

kfc.android

• View Profile
Re: Stronger fuse for power outlet
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
I have read a thread from TW's owner forum and based on their calculation, it should be safe to put 3 Amp fuse instead of the original 0.8(?) Amp fuse.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
I have read a thread from TW's owner forum and based on their calculation, it should be safe to put 3 Amp fuse instead of the original 0.8(?) Amp fuse.

TWs? (Found it )

Thanx for the info , kfc
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:08:23 PM by bluesin »
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 07:16:49 PM »
"Stock the 12v adapter is crap and useless. it wouldn't charge my cell without blowing the inline fuse. (which isn't in the wiring diagram btw).
If you swap the inline fuse which is like .8 amp for a 3amp (radio shack) you can run multiple gadgets off the port. (you have to take the whole front faring off to get to the fuse) Also the location is a very tight fit, so i got a min 12v to usb with 2 ports. "

From MY Buddy Forum . com . Hopefully , if it worked for them......? :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:28:42 AM by bluesin »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
three amps sound very small. In fact it is more than 300 times the current of the original 0.8. If someone here did the math I assume it is safe. The issues are the wire gauge/distance from the power source, and available power reserve from the stator just in case someone wants to double check the figures.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()