Author Topic: KBB value makes me cry  (Read 2558 times)

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
KBB value makes me cry
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:54:04 AM »
Tested a BV 350 and was offered 1200 on the trade in on my Like. My Buddy 50 was worth 1500 with a thousand more miles on it.... btw the seat on the bv350 is the best i've sat on, but the Yamaha majesty was a close second.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: KBB value makes me cry
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »
And you paid 1000.00 less for the Kymco so what's the trouble. Just sayin...

My ZX is still around 900.00 trade in, and they don't even make them anymore. I paid 300.00 for it so I am pleased as punch.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »
That price seems pretty fair considering what a used LIKE actually can be sold for.
If you think you are in a 'hot' scooter market area - try selling it rather than trading.
One always takes a big hit when you trade at a dealer (cars, boats, bikes) - but you knew that.
The BV is a beautiful scoot. (check servicing details - schedule and price for the service)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:49:27 PM »
Yea sell it out right, with craig's you just need to be patient. Dealer's sole purpose on this planet is to lowball ya to maximize profits. They have a lot of overhead just to break even, then make a profit. KBB is a guide to go by. When my 06 blur 150 was stolen [paid $1500] progressive tried to lowball me by cutting a $1600 check. The scoot was a beauty and only 400mi on the clock. I appealed the decision so they called 3 different dealers and got the real retail value and they cut me a check for another $600 and I was satisfied then. Point is KBBs $1600 evaluation wasn't accurate at all.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
Yea sell it out right, with craig's you just need to be patient. Dealer's sole purpose on this planet is to lowball ya to maximize profits. They have a lot of overhead just to break even, then make a profit. KBB is a guide to go by. When my 06 blur 150 was stolen [paid $1500] progressive tried to lowball me by cutting a $1600 check. The scoot was a beauty and only 400mi on the clock. I appealed the decision so they called 3 different dealers and got the real retail value and they cut me a check for another $600 and I was satisfied then. Point is KBBs $1600 evaluation wasn't accurate at all.

Is there a typo in the numbers somewhere?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »
Paid $1500 06 blur 150, scoot stolen, ins paid $1600 to cover loss, I wasn't happy so appealed decision and the ins co mailed another $600 check and I was satisfied then......ins co said $1600 was fair market value using their sources which KBB is used partly in the decision making process.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »
So you're the guy that jacked up all our rates?  Nice! ;)

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15:23 AM »
I could have sold that bike for $2000 any day of the week, one of the reasons I bought it. That's why I pay for insurance is if stuff happens. I don't feel bad in the slightest collecting it, blame the scumbag who stole it. ;D

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 02:02:44 AM »
KBB for motorcycles is an ok starting point but I think they are for the most part wrong on scooter values. They automatically factor in mileage depending on year so if you have a '03 Kymco thru assume it has a buttload of miles, so if your has low kilomiles their evaluation is vastly wrong. I always find their values on the low side except surprisingly accurate with vintage Vespas and Lambrettas. A bike is worth what someone will pay for it is what I've learned.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 03:25:17 AM »
100% correct. That applies to most everything.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 04:00:58 AM »
I actuay payed almost a thousand less for th buddy. Both were bought brand new. So yeah id expect the like to be worth more at half the age, a thousand miles less, fuel injected...etc. I am aware of the nature of sales. I just thought yall would want to know Likes depreciate faster than Genuine Buddy 50s.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 04:18:55 AM »
Kymco is just not a very catchy name here in the US. Now if it were called Crack... They would be much more well known. It all comes down to Name Brand recognition. Kymco just sounds "Cheap China Bike" That's all it is.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 12:50:46 PM »
I actuay payed almost a thousand less for th buddy. Both were bought brand new. So yeah id expect the like to be worth more at half the age, a thousand miles less, fuel injected...etc. I am aware of the nature of sales. I just thought yall would want to know Likes depreciate faster than Genuine Buddy 50s.

I think  90% of us LIKE owners bought this scooter to get our feet wet in scooters. The low price was a big selling point when we priced them against the Hondas sitting ten feet away.  For a modest outlay we could be riding a retro looking new scooter with fuel injection, disc brakes and a pretty good reputation. It sure had nothing to do with brand  recognition....not in the States anyway. It was reputed to be better than mailorder junk Chinese chain driven crap.....and it is. But it ain't a Honda or Yamaha...and we didn't pay those kind of prices for our LIKEs. Now the big bucks Kymco scoots are probably a different matter .....sure hope so for all those folks who coughed up several thousand more! Kymco got me introduced to the joy of scootering....well actually I did that ...I knew they'd suit my personality...and just needed the push to get one.
Next scoot, if there is one, will be big wheeled, more ccs...and capable of being considered an investment. Will be taking family riding with me. I will be a fairly educated scooter consumer next time up. This LIKE is a blast to ride and own....so, already I have gotten my monies worth in these 6000+ miles.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »
Im about to catch you on miles stig. im nearing 5 grand. My next scoot will be a big wheeled scoot too. People 300 or BV 350. But I am not impressed with Kymco. So I am leaning towards a BV. BTW the bv rides very very smooth and the seat is the best ive sat on for a scooter.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()