Author Topic: LIKE200i Valve adjustment mini tutorial  (Read 3257 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
LIKE200i Valve adjustment mini tutorial
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:45:49 PM »
Mini Valve Adjusting Tutorial:
A couple of pictures for those LIKE200i owners still kicking around the idea of doing their own valve adjusting. Add these pictures to your knowledge base....and give some thought to performing this service on your scooter. Watch a couple videos on youtube, and the one from our member here...to get your confidence up.
Video by forum member:

6000 miles and time for valve lash check.....(and installed a new NGK Iridium plug while everything was open)

Removed seat and seat/bucket in one piece.....(4 10mm bolts, 2 screws)

Battery cover & center cover come off (5 screws) Cover the battery area with heavy cloth.

Spark plug is there if you want to change it. Recommend you remove & replace the plug in one quick step - so you remember the angle the plug goes in at. Start threads with fingers!...then the tool.

Remove small black hose with your finger nails. Slowly remove the four 10mm bolts in X rotation to avoid warping cover.

Remember where the bolts were positioned....

Remove cap and look in port to view the TDC "T" and the notch in case....and position the chain sprocket 3 holes as seen in video.(there are several for GY6 engines on youtube)

Rotate engine forward to align TDC (check TDC by grabbing the end of valve arm and finding movement - if no movement - you have NOT found TDC. How much movement? >> .oo4 inches, tiny but can be felt!)

"feeler guage" blade (.oo4 inches) finding proper gap under rocker arm end. Take the blade out of the pack for easier handling. Move nothing, and check the bottom (exhaust) valve gap with the same .004in. blade.

After checking and/or adjusting the valve lash gap...add a few drops of oil to the parts before putting cap back on. I use this thicker Honda gear oil so it stays in place while I'm buttoning things back up.

Re-attach the breather hose to valve cover. Replace the center cover, then the battery cover. Replace the seat/seat-bucket. You've adjusted your valves!
Stig
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:40:54 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Valve Tute !
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
Stig You Are A Mad Dog!

You make me feel lazy.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »
Hey Stiggie,

Things good for me up north.  I got a new job this year and with my side business keeping me busy I dont post much.  Nearly 7000kms on my 2013 like.

I enjoyed your review of the dr pullys so I got a set of my own (same weight) and found them to be amazing (gained a bit top end).

My next project will be installing a performance exhaust. What are your thoughts on installing one made for "150cc gy6" engines. I cant seem to find one for "163cc gy6"  ;)

I Like you.  Do you Like me?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 02:06:59 AM »
You have to take in account with the Like 200 that it has an O2 sensor in the exhaust so any pipe made for gy6 will have to have a bunch welded in for the O2.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:17:12 AM »
Hey Stiggie,

dr pullys so I got a set of my own (same weight) and found them to be amazing (gained a bit top end).

My next project will be installing a performance exhaust. What are your thoughts on installing one made for "150cc gy6" engines. I cant seem to find one for "163cc gy6"  ;)

How was getting the cvt/belt cover off for the first time you.....I would not like to make that a daily job. First time was a pain...2nd was easy.
Frankly, I have never seen an after-market exhaust for the LIKE that had a proven performance record. I quit looking ....
I would like to stumble on some improved rear shocks...but I suspect that this bike's suspension cannot be improved much. 12" wheels and limited travel of the shocks cannot be improved. Need a different scoot.....and my next will be 16" wheels.
Very glad things are going well for you - we miss your posts & pix!
Ride safe friend,
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 02:23:49 AM »
The like does use the gy6 top end, but to get the best performance I would buy the Two Brothers pipe for gy6 then get a good welder to TIG weld the 02 bung on and BOOM great exhaust and you can brag and say it's custom! I will say though, the Like has an extremely small throttle body and I'm not sure it would practically be able to keep up with the added air flow.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 03:21:20 AM »
How was getting the cvt/belt cover off for the first time you.....I would not like to make that a daily job. First time was a pain...2nd was easy.
Frankly, I have never seen an after-market exhaust for the LIKE that had a proven performance record. I quit looking ....
I would like to stumble on some improved rear shocks...but I suspect that this bike's suspension cannot be improved much. 12" wheels and limited travel of the shocks cannot be improved. Need a different scoot.....and my next will be 16" wheels.
Very glad things are going well for you - we miss your posts & pix!
Ride safe friend,
Stig

If you look real close at the pivot point for the main engine mount I am willing to bet you can drill a couple new holes in the frame saddle, and lengthen the wheel base. That will also allow for a longer travel on the suspension.
 I lengthened the ZX by 3", and actually lowered it 1 1/4" while gaining almost 4" of travel in a new longer shock. The whole ordeal took about three hours once I spotted what had to be done. I think there are some picks in the ZX build thread if you are interested...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 05:02:28 AM »
Anyone know the size of the o2 sensor bung?
I Like you.  Do you Like me?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
Anyone know the size of the o2 sensor bung?
Ex, are you running an iridium ngk ? You might see a bit of xtra power .... I would recommend the NGK over the Denso, simply because I didn't like the color of the Denso after 1000 miles. Too light....while the NGK looked perfect.
I suspect that little intimidates you regarding your scoot.....but I would advise against messing with the EFI /emission control of these LIKE200i`s .
Not thinking the scoot responds much or very well to downstream changes, unless you get lucky the first time out...while I have seen posted evidence that an NGK can make a bit of difference.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
Man, I hate it when I get those mini valve toots. Usually get em after I eat Mexican food. But man that stuff is good! Oh tutorial! Ok I get it. Sorry, I had to.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
Man, I hate it when I get those mini valve toots. Usually get em after I eat Mexican food. But man that stuff is good! Oh tutorial! Ok I get it. Sorry, I had to.
Funny - I looked at that & wondered what the heck ??!!....and I wrote the bleedin' thing!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
LOL I wonder about my posts all the time... It's like some stranger writes this sheet.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
Something isn't right. That floor board you showed doesn't have a trap door for the battery like mine. What gives?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »
Factory defect. Now you have to wonder what is making the bike start??

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 01:14:20 AM »
Something isn't right. That floor board you showed doesn't have a trap door for the battery like mine. What gives?

The battery is under the towel to keep it safe from tools. The battery cover is seen in picture three. You remove those two panels...and the seat bucket to get at the valve cover, with plenty of room to work.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()