Author Topic: HELP! Bike won't start, need advice  (Read 8286 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Bike won't start, need advice
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 04:09:28 PM »
Starting Fluid should kick the engine if it has spark, and compression. Correct.

The battery can get a full charge but still have no ground on the engine. There should be one ground on the engine that goes to the frame, and both of these should attach to the battery.
If the engine is not grounded it will not spark.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 09:34:21 PM »
Unplug and remove spark plug. Plug spark plug back into coil/spark plug wire, touch/hold bottom of the plug (bottom tip where electrode is), up against engine head or where plug hole is to ground plug. Have someone (with side stand up & left brake engaged), crank engine. If u can see spark? Problem is in fuel system. BEWARE! >:( :( :o :'( Hold plug by plug wire i few inches from spark plug cap or you will get a bad shock!!!! :-*

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »
Thankyou Sissy , thankyou Zombie

that goes some way toward a resolution .
at the moment i have pulled the plastic off of the sides , after removing the seat and "pet box" and breaking one plastic tab

i have followed the wires from the side stand up to its connection and disconected it , , but then it became too late in the evening to do anymore . its winter here and the days are VERY short
so tomorow afternoon after work i will try to short the wires on the side stand sensor , , one thing at a time and hopefully ill be good before next summer
im still waiting on bikebiz in parramatta (new south wales Australia) to call me to come pick up the bits i ordered from them a couple of weeks ago,

Any word from HoHo ??   i feel like iv Hijacked his /her post  !!!!!,     Im sorry HoHo i really hope you have an answer to your problem soon , and i hope it works out to be the same problem I have ,, for obvious reasons

have a great weekend usa dudes ! , i have to work through it

From 24

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 05:44:40 AM »
Keep us informed, and e are all happy to help (where we can)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 08:00:31 AM »
Well the scooters running and im looking a tad stupid , after ASS-uming the plug was ok because they replaced that and the coil before i bought it , it wasnt

when i started getting into stripping out the most obvious parts including testing all the cutoff/saftey switches i could find, i pulled the spark plug and it was really black and oily
what is intriging though is that the diode<--? in the middle of the plug was burnt down to below the spark plug thread and had created an enormous gap
the new plug looks like normal so im glad im not imagining the size of the gap.

iv only had the bike running for a couple of months before i started having trouble
SO ,, what would cause the spark plug center to burn down like that ? do you think the new coil might be the wrong type ?

i forgot to look at the part no. on it before putting the pet box back on
AND i wonder why they would have replaced the coil in the first place ?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:12:07 AM by 24auhr »

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 03:14:44 AM »
Wow that's crazy, post a picture if you didn't toss it already. Google "plug chop chat" look for one that looks like how yours failed. Not a good sign on a four stroke. Maybe they didn't replace yours, and it's really a very old one?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 03:32:59 AM »
For the plug to be black is sort of normal on an older 4t. Oil consumption is the main culprit. 

I can only think of two things here...
One is a burnt down electrode is caused mainly by lean running. There are NO coils available that would run on your CDI AND burn down the tip.

Two is it is possible that the rings are worn or a bad head gasket is allowing sooo much oil to enter the cylinder that the lean running is counter acted and keeping the bike alive.

Do you see black or white smoke from the exhaust?

Ride the bike for a few miles, and pull the plug. It should be dark but not black. Post up what it looks like, and we'll take it from there.

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 03:48:05 AM »
So wierd betting and losing ,, i just had a chat with my neighbor who is a bike mechanic (who refuses to talk to me on the best of days)(ehhh who knows why??)
who said that just because they said they changed it dosnt mean they did .
but IF they did then only 4-6 weeks of sporadic use seems like a very short life for a spark plug

now the damn plug is hiding from me , i tried to find it to show my neighbor but couldnt find it ,, but ill have a picture up here within the next few days
btw , its just a standard cr8e plug

i watched how to test the coil on youtube and my reading was high 18 and high 5
but the vids are different one guy says thats good while anothr says thats a dead coil
the manual dosnt mention what the impedance or continuity should be on the coil

iv left some of the fairing off to make disassembly easier next time just to see of the bike keeps going longer than 6 weeks without starting issues

for now though , im on the road again SO .brm brm
thankyou for all of your help , ill stick around though if you wouldnt mind , this forum has been a great help to me !

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 03:48:49 AM »
will do Zombie !!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 04:05:35 AM »
Please stick around. There's strength in numbers, and when the new AXY posts up we all will count on you to draw him out in the open. Once he is exposed... Game Time!

A bunch of us spend quite a fair amount of time here cause there is always someone willing to help, and share a few laughs with. The more the merrier Bro!

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 02:51:50 AM »
Awesome  !!!!!    i tried to start the scooter today , , no spark

back to the drawing board   :(

EDIT ::::   hrm i just tried again and she fired up first time

Just a point of interest , somtimes the speedo stops working , maybey theres a loose wire behind the front assembly
anyway on my next weekend i will start pulling it apart again , and this time i`ill take the front off too
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:54:45 AM by 24auhr »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Check all the connections/connectors. They will often times LOOK like they are tight when they are really just sort of touching. Especially the bullet type connectors from the stator to the CDI. I generally crimp those down before pushing them together for a good tight fit.

Spray some PB blaster into your Kill switch too. It may be sort of sticking.

24auhr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 06:26:38 AM »
Thanks for the tip Zombie , but uh just what is pb blaster ? is it like wd40 ?  :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 06:43:03 AM »
It's exactly like wd but 10000000 times better. It's a spray lube but it has ingredients that last. WD evaporates in short order. WD is a Temp sort of thing.

Pb gives me 1000000 dollars every time I post it soooooo. Really it is better. It STINKS on your skin but that should prove it.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 06:48:31 AM »
Peanut blaster jelly time
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()