Author Topic: The mysterious "exhaust mod" aka full de-restriction  (Read 9487 times)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
The mysterious "exhaust mod" aka full de-restriction
« on: June 07, 2014, 04:49:55 AM »
This thread is a how-to do a full de-restriction on the new kymco 50cc 2t scooters. The scooter in the pictures is the Like 50 2t but all of the others are virtually identical. The first thing before any of this is make sure that the De-restricted variator boss is installed in your scoot' or else none of this will make any difference.
#1. Remove exhaust system and carburetor from scooter.

#2. Remove the air filter/silencer that feeds air to the catalyzer

This device feeds fresh air to the inside of the pipe for emissions reasons. Follow the large tube connected to the muffler and pull all of it out. Some bikes it's hard to reach the end so if your feeling lazy just cut the hose.

#3. Using a hack saw or large cut-off wheel cut away all of the extra "tubes" on the muffler.

#4. If you have a welder, awesome if not take the pipe with the extras cut off and have a local welder plug the holes up with something that will last. Getting creative on this on.

Once welded make sure to paint with high-temp paint so the welds and bare spots where you cut don't rust.

*side note: do not buy a Harbor Freight welder if you care about them being pretty.

That's it for the exhaust now on to some simple tricks to make the scoot' run better rain or shine.
Thanks to the EPA the guys over-seas seem to just gave up on setting the carbs before covering up the mixture screw. This one was set to a whopping ZERO TURNS OUT from the factory, and I've seen the all the way to 5 turns out!!!
Use a small drill bit to pop the cap off, or a very small flat head to pry it off.

Move the oil injection tube 90* out of the way (Be sure to use loc-tite or glue to secure it in place, tap lightly to seat it).
Either purchase the D carb adjusting tool or even better use your Dremel to cut a flathead into the blank mixture screw. If your worried about making little marks in the body of the carb, you can slowly back the mixture screw out with a small screwdriver then cut the slit in it on the bench. Settings will vary from 3/4 to 1 turn out.

A good little secret for the Like 50 owners ;)

With the exhaust flowing more effectively I've found that a slight up-jet is required at least at my elevation (100-500ft). A #85-#86 jet works perfectly. If you own a Like 50 and remove the insert in the airbox a #90 main jet is best.
Put everything back together, use a new exhaust gasket if necessary and double check everything gets hooked up correctly.
The best way to test if the welds are good; start the engine but don't let it get very hot, let it idle and plug the end with your finger or a rag and if it kills the engine and you don't hear any "hissing" all is well. Also you will notice that when you let your finger off there is a noticeable "whooosh", this means the muffler is holding pressure and will work well. I cannot stress enough how much power a simple exhaust leak will rob. If the welds don't seal all you will end up doing is robbing performance!! Idle the bike, warm it up, adjust the carb for best idle then go test ride. Performance on an all stock new bike that is not broken in is a sold 40-43mph on the gauge. Compare this to before the scooter would struggle to pass 35mph on flats. I also think that it cleans the look up a bit, getting rid of random looking pipes hanging down and the like. Hopefully this helps you guys.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious "exhaust mod" aka full de-restriction
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
Great job!
This is going to be of interest to soooo many Kymco guys.
They get home with their new 50cc scoots...and start looking for ways to go faster.
If you wanted to keep going on this theme with what needs to happen inside the belt cover -- you would make a lot of friends!
Nice job!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

245luigi

• Boston, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 05:35:10 PM »
Good to see another Like50 on here
Currently:
2012 Kymco Like70
72cc Malossi BBK
Dell'Orto PHBG 19 AS Carb
52 Pilot Jet
92 Main Jet
W7 Needle, 40 Slide
2T atomizer + bushing
Tecnigas Triops
Malossi Torque Driver

gnvernon

• 2012 Kymco Super8 2T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
Is there a device that feeds fresh air into the exhaust in the super 8? When you removed it did you leave it off or reinstall it

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »
Yeah the super 8 has the same design. Remove both pipes and block off.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
" The first thing before any of this is make sure that the De-restricted variator boss is installed in your scoot' or else none of this will make any difference"

I know what this boss is, but cannot find one for sale.... anyone have any leads?
thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
Any ebay var will have the boss you need. Throw away the var/rollers, and use the new boss. 9-13 bucks...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »
I have them at the shop, $21 plus USPS flat rate box.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:51:09 PM »
Hook up B&L... Parts are paRTS!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:15:33 AM »
Zombie on that note, I will be taking partial ownership of the shop in Portland sometime next year. I'm planning on doing a promo for Forum members, and price matching anything I can. Some stuff I don't exactly know how the big guys even are making money because it's pennies above dealer cost but anyway, I'll be setting that up fairly soon so members here can have a RELIABLE parts source, someone that actually works on and rides Kymco. Progress will be updated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 01:34:12 AM »

I think I heard this...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 11:40:03 PM »
f*** off communist scum!!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 01:38:42 AM »
There not Commies any more. Now they are Republicans. I liked them much better before.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 03:11:40 AM »
Do you think the zombified pc's have political affiliation?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 04:50:35 AM »
Absolutely... Liberals! ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()