Author Topic: OH GAWD Super 8 50cc 4 stroke Help Please !!!  (Read 7196 times)

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
OH GAWD Super 8 50cc 4 stroke Help Please !!!
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:54:31 AM »
Hi we just bought a super 8 50cc 4T ( 4 stroke ) with/for my son and being entirely new to scooters didn`t realise living in a very hilly area we that we really should have bought a 2 stroke. Having now asked around etc on finding it really really really struggling if managing at all on hills!!! Does about 35mph on the flat, the previous owners had a shim taken out of the exhaust. 3000 miles on at the moment.

Don`t tell us, we know we hit back luck here being newbies, but please do tell us the best things to do, and if its worth doing to make it a useable bike, to go anywhere you need to go up largish 33%, 25% and 20% slopes amongst others.

The really bad news is I`m out of work presently, hes in college, and we borrowed every single penny to buy it so he can travel in, just missing out on a sym derestricted 2 stroke as well.!!!

Shifting about on the net I think if we put in a 82 jet, and 5.5 rollers and nip the cdi wire it will do better, any thoughts on this ??
  If we just nip the cdi wire is it OK with no roller or variator changes or jet etc or should we do all 3 or anything else.

I do wonder if its worth it or we should ask my dad who lives in a flat part of the world a few miles away to sell it for us a at loss and get a 2 stroke. !!!

Really appreciate some good advice and experiance of how they can go etc etc.

Many Thanks, Hon.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 09:27:49 AM by HillsOhNo »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: OH GAWD Super 8 50cc 4 stroke Help Please !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:51:10 PM »
All the mods. you posted will go a long way toward fixing your flat loving scoot. Putting them all together you should see approx. 45 mph, and they will keep you closer to the usable power band. You will have to put on more throttle w/ the lite rollers, and the cdi mod will allow this to happen. It still may not be enough, but it will be a noticeable diff. I found scoots. hold their value pretty well so I wouldn't be looking at any loss. Shine it up, and try to pull a profit from it. Try to look at some of the older posts
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »
Hi Many thanks, I hope she pulls round as if OK it would be good MPG wise at least.

Anyone got any thoughts on rollers for the hills please.

Been advised on the phone and email 5.5 grammes and 4.5 grammes.

I can also buy 4.4 or 4.7 malossi rollers, in that sense even if we leave the cdi for now is it adviseable to to do the variator bush, take the ring off or fit a smooth one, whichever is needed.

Many Thanks H,O,N.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:08:45 PM »
the lighter you go on rollers the more throttle you will need to apply. They will not change top end, until you go too light...Then they will reduce top end mph. I have 5.5 malossi in my 2 stroke 70cc, and I think 4-5g would be too light for a four stroke. I'm not sure though. It's MORE important for your situation to de-restrict the cdi first, in order to get the increased rpm's you need. the variator de-restrict can be done at the same time. you won't get any break neck improvement, but you will get what the scoot was intended to be. Someone else w/more roller tuning exp. may be able to guide you further. Check some of wordslinger's posts. I think he has a similar scoot.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 10:31:23 AM »
the lighter you go on rollers the more throttle you will need to apply. They will not change top end, until you go too light...Then they will reduce top end mph. I have 5.5 malossi in my 2 stroke 70cc, and I think 4-5g would be too light for a four stroke. I'm not sure though. It's MORE important for your situation to de-restrict the cdi first, in order to get the increased rpm's you need. the variator de-restrict can be done at the same time. you won't get any break neck improvement, but you will get what the scoot was intended to be. Someone else w/more roller tuning exp. may be able to guide you further. Check some of wordslinger's posts. I think he has a similar scoot.

..yeah, but you'll have to read over some of the dumb stuff...I tend to drift from time to time..lol..

..What's good about the malossi kit, is that you get a longer main clutch spring, which allows your scoot to stay revved up in a lowerr gear...especially when slowing down, and getting back on the throttle...I went with the 5.5 gr rrollers, which were totally awesome when they were new...For longevity of sustained performance, I think I'm going to trry some 6 gr rollers next..As these 5.5 begin to wear some, I've seen a drop-off in performance...My scoot "Changes gears" beforre I get up to a higher rate of speed...

..ya'll gonna have to over-look some of my typing...my "R" key seems to be doubling-up sometimes, and i'm getting tirrred of going back and deleting the extra rrrs...

;D

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »
Hi thanks for all the advice etc, ordered some malossi 4.7 gram rollers and it turns out the variator roller has been done and a slight mod to the exhaust. Not sure about the cdi so going to have a look but I don`t think its been done from what I can gather.

Anyway hoping the 4.7`s help out.

Also now looking to try to find a suitable tyre for the rear as looking to be done soon, but a 120/80 14 in the UK doesn`t seem possible.

Would the conti twist 120/70 14 be OK as look good.

As far as the front 100/80 14 also drawn a blank there, so any suggestions on that too please.

Many Thanks Mark,
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:38:46 PM by HillsOhNo »

Dawsman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
just my 2 cents - the agility 125 has that perfect extra "oomph" to get you up that hill. Consider a trade or sell yours and get the 125. good luck! 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 04:30:18 PM »
I would suggest moving UP in tire size, not down. Try searching your tire's using Search canyon as your search engine.

HillsOhNo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:11:55 AM »
Hi, and thanks, my son is only 16 so it has to be a 50, even 125,s are a bit gaspy around here on the slopes.

Tyres wise in case anyone with a kymco super 8 is looking here in desperation, only one company do a close matched fit for this bike.

A small German company called Heidenau

We can get the 120/80 14 for the back in a 66

and on the front you can get a 110/80 14 ( 66) to go on in the stead of the regular 100/80 14.

Bit pricey though, but thats your lot sadly at present.

Variator wise we are just doing the lighter rollers as told that was about the best cheapset upgrade to help on the hills a bit, cdi ?? still pondering and a 82 ? or 85 ? jet. ???

Best Mark.

doofus27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:28:48 PM »
i bought new one frome a dealer. the 82 jet dont fix it. i to live in hilly terrain. i had my brother tweek it cause he builds racing engines for a living and still no joy. i will try the 5 gram weights tomorrow and see but im not holding my breath. i bought a $900 china bike 3 months ago and it will run circles around the kymco, even up hill it goes 10mph faster and it is right out of the crate. i wish i had bought a china scooter. anyone want a kymco new and dirt cheap? for $2 grand they should run alot better than they acttualy do. i got burnt.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:52:49 PM »
...i would figure that your scoot, if new, is still restricted...

..these restrictions are fairly easy to eliminate...

..up front, there's the cdi electronic restriction and the variator drive boss bushing...

..first, give us a bit more info..like how many kms do you have on it...

..is it "broken in" yet?

...you can get 50 mph, and if your cvt is tuned right, the super8 will damn near climb a tree...

..don't be discouraged, because you have a pretty good scoot in your possession, we just need to get it performing like it was meant to...

..also, post a pic of your cdi, as there are several different ones out there...or at least call out the color of the wires connected to it...

..oh, and Welcome to th' Forum!!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 03:52:11 AM »
welcome.... i live smack in the middle of the mtns....my scoot would absolutely blow if i put 4.5 in...lmao     7.5, --1500 springs do help my hills, gonna try more setups SOON..(springs)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 04:01:19 AM »
Different scoot batman. 4t's need the rpms more than we do. they have a dead stroke.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 01:18:13 PM »
yeah, i did find out that the zx is in a class AALLLLLL ALONE!!!!!
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

doofus27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
it is fixing to thunderstorm here so no roller changes today. i have put in the 82 main jet, derestricted drive boss and spacer the dealer gave me. also did the cdi mod (violet wire). it just does not want to pull even on the slightest uphill grade. makes no difference how far you twist the throttle, no change in rpm. the rpm's is not as high as it should be at any throttle position. it has 189 miles on it. any ideas?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()