Author Topic: CVT: belt issue  (Read 1745 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
CVT: belt issue
« on: June 10, 2014, 12:28:30 AM »
1,500 miles ago I replaced the belt, rollers and shoes. The first 1,300 miles it ran smooth. The last 200 miles I've noticed at slower take offs and low speed exceleration belt chatter. Is this normal after just 1,500 miles?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:30:05 AM by TroutBum »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: CVT: belt issue
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:47:12 AM »
Not really... What brand rollers did you use? Off brand/Black ?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 02:04:22 AM »
1,500 miles ago I replaced the belt, rollers and shoes. The first 1,300 miles it ran smooth. The last 200 miles I've noticed at slower take offs and low speed exceleration belt chatter. Is this normal after just 1,500 miles?
"....and shoes"? Brakes shoes or new clutch (3/pads)?
If the installed belt is correct OEM & correct size, and OEM rollers, with clutch pads and bell deglazed.....I think you may be experiencing what so many have reported: Low speed and low power take offs produce a judder from the transmission.

The remedy is reported to be to twist in slightly more power to pass thru that judder period quickly (or even completely skip the sensation of it). Scooters cannot easily be made to mimic the smooth take offs of motorcycles and the control we have by slipping the clutch while feathering the throttle.

Absolutely new scooter transmission guts might hide the slow speed, low power, judder for a time....but it seems to be a scooter thing.

As you are aware--  I am no seasoned scooter owner - but I have read of this complaint in several places - and have experienced the issue and the remedy on a daily basis with an otherwise fine running scooter. So, I don't worry about it -  I just give it a bit more power. It's a scooter - with a simple centrifugal transmission - if it were a bike it'd be a lot smoother.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 03:22:45 AM »
I'm thinking he bought cheap Graphite rollers that wear down in just a few hundred miles.

The belt chatter is what makes me think this... If the rollers wear it does sound like the belt slapping around.

BUT Stig is 100% correct on the take of shudder we all either feel or have learned to avoid.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 04:08:48 AM »
The replacements were all OEM. Had them done at the same time they replaced a seal behind the variator under warranty.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 05:09:20 AM »
Then the only option is to open up the CVT and find out exactly what is happening.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 12:32:04 AM »
I was afraid of having to do just that. I need to order a gasket to get started. Hopefully it's just some cleaning and a light sanding job.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 12:36:13 AM »
It usually is. I'm sure you've seen the tutorials...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 02:18:06 AM »
I was afraid of having to do just that. I need to order a gasket to get started. Hopefully it's just some cleaning and a light sanding job.
I've been in the belt cover of the LIKE200i a couple of times - the 1st was a pistol-a of course. If you have not, I offer these tips. Maybe your gasket is intact - but good idea to have one before you start - even though some folks say the cover & gasket are not necessary. Also, maybe over-kill, but I replaced both big nuts for like a dollar each.
That long, slim lower body panel comes off and goes back on much easier if you partially release that rear black piece first.
 http://i62.tinypic.com/sv5215.jpg
Air filter box just needs to be loosened, not removed.
The whole enchilada w/ photos is here:
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=11373.msg118262#msg118262

Make a pot of coffee, get a lawn chair (for thinking,staring & studying the situation - this equals 60% of my shop time!), something soft for the knees.
Maybe think about ordering some Dr Pulleys before going in there - since it only involves one more nut to remove. If you get  in there and see rollers that seem generic brand (or non Kymco belt)- replace with Kymco's. The Kymco stuff works great.
The very few areas that get lubed should still be lubed after your shop's service - but study those areas which have been lubed to see if a dab more is needed. If, so, just wipe off and re-grease lightly.
Some belts do not have direction of spin arrows, so observe your belt's printing as you take it off.

I will state this: after I sanded the clutch surfaces, green-scrubbied the bell, installed a new belt and sliders, cleaned the pulley faces, etc.....the low speed, low throttle stutter was gone for about 3 days. There is simply no way to feather the throttle & slip the clutch during low powered take-offs to completely eliminate every instance of a stutter on my scooter.  I don't like the sensation - so I ease the power thru it most times. I am a very gentle operator of any motor vehicle - but that doesn't work for me on scooter take-offs!
If you're getting more banging around than that coming from down there - probably needs a look-see.
Stig
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:22:29 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()