Author Topic: Speedo cable quacking sound.  (Read 4573 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo cable quacking sound.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
glad you figured it out.

The way I got my bike above 80 was to simply paint a copy of the needle at 82MPH. Once I was around 30MPH (top speed) I looked down, and low and behold I was actually hitting 82MPH.
It works every time as long as you know exactly when to look.
It's cheaper than a second hand cable too Buba's Kid.
Took a snap of a Ducati Monster speedo today. Will copy & paste on my LIKE....cause I've seen people snooping while I'm in the grocer's. (That 240MPH speedo face and the little Italian flags I pasted over the Made in China stickers are pretty cool performance accessories.)
Bubba's Kid
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »
I actually have a 90MPH speedo from a Yamaha 250 installed on my ZX 50. That's not a joke. It took 2 months to get the proper gear to match the tire diameter (not the wheel diameter). CynYo from Scooter Alley had one cut for me.

Yes people do freak out when the bike is "cruising" at 70MPH on Hwy. 98
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 01:53:16 PM »
I actually have a 90MPH speedo from a Yamaha 250 installed on my ZX 50. That's not a joke. It took 2 months to get the proper gear to match the tire diameter (not the wheel diameter). CynYo from Scooter Alley had one cut for me.

Yes people do freak out when the bike is "cruising" at 70MPH on Hwy. 98
A kitchen chair doing 70 on the highway will get a lot of attention, too. And the chair has more stability with its longer wheelbase.
(On retainer by the parents of youngsters with a 50cc scoot who visit this forum....Stig)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:55:10 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
I extended the wheel base 3" to equal the length of three bar stools.
The stools are a joke but the extension is not. I took modifying the bike very seriously.

Now... Lets just say one of those "kids" tries to copy my bike. That "kid" pulls out in front of me, and I SLAM into him at 65ish MPH.
Upon inspection of what is left of the kids bike it is found he "copied" my build. Could I call you to sue his parents for being stupid enough to fund an attempt to copy a Zombie bike... or would that be a conflict of interest due to your retainer status.

Just wondering because it is either you or Carmine. They don't want Carmine involved.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »
I wanted to put up a "your mom" joke but...

Its water inside the rods at the bottom. Say hi to mom.

..sso, how do I eliminate it...seems to be getting worse...

..mom says hey lover...   :-*
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 11:33:49 PM »
All it needed was grease and maybe the thin gasket which was missing inside the boot.

..my sound seem to be from the shocks, but thanks for the info, insane!   8)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »
There is a phillips head drain screw at the bottom of each leg. Just pull the screws, and slam down on the bars.

You will have to pull the caps off the forks to refill them. I forget how much fluid they take but I would add 1 tablespoon of Brake Fluid to each to soften the seals. You most likely got the water in there from condensation but swelling the seals never hurts.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 11:41:51 PM »
There is a phillips head drain screw at the bottom of each leg. Just pull the screws, and slam down on the bars.

You will have to pull the caps off the forks to refill them. I forget how much fluid they take but I would add 1 tablespoon of Brake Fluid to each to soften the seals. You most likely got the water in there from condensation but swelling the seals never hurts.

..alright then.. sounds easy enough...  thanx mi ermano!

..before I bought it, the scoot sat for several years with the front section intermittently exposed to the elements...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »
When I pulled the ZX forks apart they were full of rust in the bottom of the dampners. I had to replace both forks.

A few tips if you want to build them up a bit... I cut two spacers out of stainless pipe that fit into the tubes on top of the springs. (10mm spacers) That pre loads them a bit more. I also drilled the dampners to 1/8" to quicken the response. It's been awhile but I think it was 8wt oil I used.

All that stuff made them stiffer, and faster. They will actually follow a washboard road now where before they would collapse further on each bump till you slowed down, and let them re-bound.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 11:55:05 PM »
I dunno about building them up, so much...I'm more concerned with stability and flexibility during city cornering.. they seem non-responsive and stiff now...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »
It's the heavy oil (20wt), and the tiny orifice in the dampners that make them like that.
Just changing the oil wt will be a HUGE gain in response.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 12:04:20 AM »
That's probably what I need to do then.. drain and replace... What wt oil you reckon I should re-fill with?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »
8wt fork oil. Any bike shop will have it. I think the Manual has the amount. It has to be measured exactly or the forks either won' move (too much) or they will use the oil, and collapse suddenly (too little)

8wt is thinner than OEM so they will react faster just by changing the grade

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 12:12:36 AM »
..alright then and yeah the manual specifies...I'm going to have to do it...her front end is fine down the long road, but sucks at cornering...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()