Author Topic: Full face, 3/4 or 1/2 helmet?  (Read 25900 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Full face, 3/4 or 1/2 helmet?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 04:00:58 PM »

If I had a buck for every rider I saw in a full face and no other protective gear I'd be a rich man.

Be Big,
AMAC
If I gave away a $ for every helmet wearer in my county - I'd still have change from my twenty. The unsettled peripheral vision question is the only reservation I've ever read about regarding full face helmets. Obviously it is an issue for yourself.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 06:34:51 PM »
@ Don....I wear a Hawk modular as my full helmet - I have the same problem with glasses, but with the Modular, I put the helmet on, lift the chin bar, put the glasses on, and lower the chin bar...good to go.

@ Stig....you are of course correct, Sir, and I bought the Full face modular with the intent of not ever wearing the 3/4 again.  However, with 3 fused back vertabra and limited ability to turn my neck, I have opted for having better visibility when riding in the city.  On the highway, I can make due better with the decrease in peripheral vision.

I also do a lot of bicycle riding.  Anyone else feel that the itty, bitty bike helmets leave you feeling unprotected... Almost want to wear my 3/4 wen riding the bike as I can hit 30+ going down hills with no problem....LOL
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »
If I gave away a $ for every helmet wearer in my county - I'd still have change from my twenty. The unsettled peripheral vision question is the only reservation I've ever read about regarding full face helmets. Obviously it is an issue for yourself.
Stig

Yeah we got a lot of helmet less riders here to. Never was my thing.

I first came across the neck and vision thing working with kids blown up in Iraq. So many still ride but have neck isssue that make a full face a bit troublesome.

The real question should be "what do you wear on your feet". I've seen a lot of folks all armored up but lacking on footwear.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
I have a silver full face on a shelf in the closet over my scooter gear.  It has scratches all up and down the front where my face would've scraped along the street when I fell doing about 35mph.  I only wear a half helmet (with face shield) on neighborhood rides where I'm doing no more than 25mph and just making short hops.

Over 80% of crashes are within 2 miles of your home. A crash at 25 or 35 will be no different when it comes to your head hitting the road.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 06:11:06 AM »
I do continuous deliveries and can't deal with constantly removing a full-face helmet while wearing glasses, but mostly because people don't understand what I'm saying when I'm wearing a full-face.  So I prefer a 3/4 helmet because I can speak and hear while wearing the helmet.  PS: been riding for over 50 years, crashed 3 times mostly with 3/4 helmets, rarely injured much more than a few scrapes.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
I do continuous deliveries and can't deal with constantly removing a full-face helmet while wearing glasses, but mostly because people don't understand what I'm saying when I'm wearing a full-face.  So I prefer a 3/4 helmet because I can speak and hear while wearing the helmet.  PS: been riding for over 50 years, crashed 3 times mostly with 3/4 helmets, rarely injured much more than a few scrapes.
Sounds like a good customer for a "modular" (flip-up) full face helmet ! You can do all of that with a modular.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 03:38:37 PM »
Sounds like a good customer for a "modular" (flip-up) full face helmet ! You can do all of that with a modular.
Stig

Exactly, If you look at the crash data out there 1/3 of all crashes involve trauma to the jaw. Not a chance I'm willing to take. But to each their own on what they will wear. Something is better then nothing.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 06:39:46 PM »
I know I posted this in the wrong category, messed up. I'm convinced I need a full face helmet. Too scared to buy online because of my unusual head size and it won't fit. Besides m/c shops who way over charge where can you walk in to buy m/c helmets with a selection? Is a $100 budget unrealistic for a DOT helmet full face? Some of those go for $600 or more and that's crazy.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »
I know I posted this in the wrong category, messed up. I'm convinced I need a full face helmet. Too scared to buy online because of my unusual head size and it won't fit. Besides m/c shops who way over charge where can you walk in to buy m/c helmets with a selection? Is a $100 budget unrealistic for a DOT helmet full face? Some of those go for $600 or more and that's crazy.
First visit cycle shops to find a brand and size that fits your head (DO FIRST watch videos on how to properly size a helmet, since the salesperson in the shop may be a complete nube!!)
After you have that info - then shop the web or dealers for that helmet.
You are correct - every helmet company helmet is a slightly different shape....and only some will properly fit your head. Watch those expert videos on sizing.
There are some full face helmets in the $100 to $150 range.....They should all be safety approved (look for sticker on back)
It is better to wear a lower priced helmet - than to say they are too pricey and not buy any kind!!!
Look online after you find one that fits. Or, make an offer with the shop you're standing in - most of them could surely use your business!
If you only have $100, keep saving for a couple more weeks and get that $130 helmet! (A $600 helemt is not crazy - just very light, very quiet and very safe!)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 09:42:24 PM »
I got an AFX 3/4 helmet with a clear face shield. I can't do a true full face, because it irks my claustophobia!
I mainly wanted a face shield since I ride in rain sometimes.
I got it from a local shop for about $85. It fits nice and snug, but the padding is cushy enough that I can put my hoody up, and still wear the helmet over it when the weather was cold.
And when it's warm, I can click the face up a notch to get air on my face.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 12:30:10 AM »

Age old argument more $$ equal safer.
Money buys far better comfort, lite weight, better ventilation, fancy graphics and a quieter ride. It doesn't make a helmet any safer. All helmets are held to the same DOT test standard.

If you have a cycle gear near you they have plenty of approved full face lids for 100.00 or less.

Be Big,
AMAC

www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 01:42:30 AM »
Bought my first scoot this March and never considered anything other than full face. Sales gal seemed glad to hear it when she asked what I was considering (helmet wise).

I'm laughing too hard to get this out... Maybe in a bit
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 10:08:49 AM »
I'm laughing too hard to get this out... Maybe in a bit

Oh my !

Be Big,,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 01:37:01 AM »
First visit cycle shops to find a brand and size that fits your head (DO FIRST watch videos on how to properly size a helmet, since the salesperson in the shop may be a complete nube!!)
After you have that info - then shop the web or dealers for that helmet.
Stig

This exactly what I do. You can get much better pricing online but I want to actually see how it fits on my head first.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
This exactly what I do. You can get much better pricing online but I want to actually see how it fits on my head first.

..ditto!   8)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()