Author Topic: Rode the People GT 200i  (Read 4467 times)

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
Rode the People GT 200i
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:15:06 PM »
Ok so I've been looking for my next scooter.  I want a big wheeler and I want something capable of handling the highway.  I have ridden the BV 350 and People GT 200i.  I rode the 200i because the 300i was out of stock, but the scooter is essentially the same. The only other option I am aware of is the SYM Citycom 300i.  I think that the Piaggio has a nicer seat.  The People worried me about what I see in my Like.  The left mirror wiggled like crazy, the rubber fittings on the stem of the mirriors was not on correctly, and the trunk vibrated differently than the rest of the bike while it idled.  I realize these are small things but this is exactly what I dislike about my Like. I want all the little details already taken care of.  The handling of the People would be hard to tell apart from the BV though.  I see why the 200i was unpopular.  I was hard pressed to tell the difference in power between it and my Like.  I think the added weight and larger wheels holds the 200i back in speed to a point where it feels about the same as the Like 200i.  If I want to ride a People 300i I have to order one.  I don't want to buy it in order to find out if I'll like it.  People talk about the People GT having a flat floor board or being "true step through" are playing with words.  It isn't really different than the BV in that you still have to lift your foot higher.  The people's floor board pinches in in the middle. If you are like me you don't like shoe scuffs all over your scooter. With the pinch I had to raise my foot higher to keep from dragging my shoe across the plastic and leaving a mark.  So if I have to lift my foot that much anyways then I'd rather have a gas tank there so I have room for a helmet under the seat. I realize that both scooters weren't broken in yet but the Piaggio idled smoother.  I can get a  2014 People GT 300i for just over 5800.  I can get a 2013 BV 350 for almost exactly 6000.  The Kymco dealer will give me 1800 for my Like. The Piaggio dealer will give me 1500.  So that's a ball park figure of $4000 out of pocket for a People GT 300i and $4500 out of pocket for the BV 350.  This is a hard choice guys.  I honestly feel that the Piaggio is worlds more comfortable.  In the looks department the Piaggio only looks better just barely.  But that is just a matter of opinion.  I feel the People looks modern and classy but in a very asian way that is trying to find itself. Angular in some areas then smooth and curvy in other areas.  The BV also looks modern and classy but in a way that seems to have more direction to it's style. Like a stylish seat that is also comfortable, well built, and innovative. Why doesn't every scooter have a nook for a seat cover?  Seems so obvious...... It's like choosing between the master craftsman vs the young upstart.  I don't think Kymco is to the level of Piaggio yet but I admire the effort.  I mean if the Piaggio dealer would go up on my trade in to the level the Kymco dealer will go then there would only be about a 200 dollar difference in price.  But when I look at each part of each scooter I am surprised at how each thing seems better and for only 200 dollars more. Brakes, brake handles, handles, 30ccs more, 4 to 5 hp more, nothing was vibrating out of place, fewer service intervals, instrument panel, seat, under seat storage, glove box, switches, unpainted panels, passenger foot pegs, and key and ignition switch were all better on the BV for not much more money. I realize that there is a factor of preference but I feel that many of you would agree if presented both scooters side by side. But my Kymco dealer has been great to me. I've taken three scooters to them for servicings. I've bought two scoots off of them and they have hooked me up in the past with small freebies and discounts.  The Piaggio dealer seemed to busy to help me and flat out lied to me about features of the BV.  It's a tough one here.... does the dealer make all the difference?  I have caught my Kymco dealer flat out lying to people too. I just haven't caught him lying to me yet. lol
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:21:11 PM by NeoGenesisMax »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Rode the People GT 200i
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:52:07 PM »
That was exhausting to read. ???

Who are you trying to convince you or us? It's your money and by what I read it seems that you have made up your mind. Thats cool the BV is a great scoot, but don't be fooled into thinking that they are so how superior to other scoots in that class. That have there warts just like any other machine.

You also make a comparison to a bike you didn't ride, the GT300. Big difference from the 200. Does that concern you.

I would also look at the SYM if you have a local dealer.

As far as dealers support is huge to me and my experience with my local piaggio dealer sucked. Small problems went unfixed time and time again. Their service rates were also out of line.

Buy what you like but if you need to degrade the other choices IMO you are not remotely secure with your choice. I assume your choice is the BV, you know master crafted etc.

One last thing. My scoots are always showroom clean when I leave the garage but they come back dirty and scuffed and a few hundred miles on the road. it's not a priceless work of art its a motor scooter. Again just my .02

Good luck with your impending decision.

Be Big,
AMAC
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:55:16 PM by Amac1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »
Have you priced parts and scheduled servicing?
Ease of servicing »»if you choose to do it yourself?
Which one is going to make you smile every morning when you walk up to it for a  l o n g time?
Lots of folks live with and love their goofy Italian vehicles ....and have been doing so for decades!
I am wondering if there is a scooter made that would leave you 100% satisfied. It ain't easy being a perfectionist in an imperfect world......
BTW....I do agree that another 200I, even with the big wheels, in not the way to go. I have been on both...
Stig
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:07:44 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 02:02:57 AM »
It was a long rant. Ha Ha, I guess I'm trying to convince myself.  I priced the first service and it was about a hundred and ten bucks for the BV.  If my Kymco dealer charges about what he did for the other two I bought off of him it will be eighty to a hundred dollars.  You make a good point though stig. I doubt I'll ever be one hundred percent happy with any scooter I ride.  But there is such a thing good enough for me.  I can find fault and still feel that it's good enough. I've felt that way about two of my three scooters.  My chinese one was a disaster.  I do like my Like. I just want to be able to take the highway to and from work it will help me so much.  Taking main streets doubles my travel time. 

alphaBETAdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 02:47:59 AM »
Go with your heart on this and the one that stirs your soul. Your so close in price the money difference will be irrelevant in a few months - especially if you don't get the one that turns you on. If you were deciding on a wife; do you want the reliable, obedient, plain but pretty Asian? Or the wild, zesty, stylish, and emotional Italian? 

Back to scooters; both are great choices - you are very lucky to have those two to choose between!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:49:47 AM by alphaBETAdog »
Central Arizona
'12 Kymco GTi300
'03 Aprilia Scarabeo 150
'08 Beta RS450 Dualsport
'13 Suzuki Vstrom 650

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
I agree with Amac, in that you should check out the Sym if you have a dealer nearby. I also think you should wait until you get a chance to actually ride the 300GT as opposed to the 200. That way you have a true comparison of your 2 primary contenders. Judging the GT based on it's smaller sibling, isn't giving it a fair argument.
Good luck with whichever you end up getting. Let us know how it goes.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 03:20:52 AM »
I realize that the people 300I will be faster and slightly heavier. I've sat on one and walked a bit with it to see if I would fit it. Sadly I didnt ride it. It will be close enough in handling to give me a good idea. The dealer had taken $200 off of the 300i since it was a 2013. I do not want the Citycom and that saddens me because the price is goood. But it is about 13hp less than the BV. Also is is absolutely hideous. I also wish I liked Maxi style scooters but they just aren't my thing. BTW if you get a chance to sit on a Yamaha Majesty or Piaggio BV 350 please do. They are the best seats I've sat on so far.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 04:08:51 AM »
The dealer is high on the 300i.
I'm seeing 2013 going for a little less than 5,000.00 OTD.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
Neo I wish you well on your next ride. To me one of the reasons for choosing my scoot was saving money, with the moolah your talking I could buy a new Yamaha sr400 and would. Heck even a new 250 from the 4 jap makers will set you back 5k plus fees..........any ways good luck. 1 more thing there is absolutely no way I'd ride on the interstate on a bike. People are too crazy nowadays.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
I could go moto but i'd lose fuel economy and storage. But I have considered a Honda CTX 700. It has an opional automatic trans. I prefer automatic. I can do a manual but to me it's always seemed silly and out dated. Like using a wood fire oven vs an electric one. Sure the wood fire works but its more effort than is needed.

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 04:56:30 AM »
The other option is to look at the same two scoots in the used marketplace and see what they are selling for.  You might find one that's 1 or 2 years old and thousands less in price with decent mileage. 
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 08:04:12 AM »
I've watched and there is nothing most of the time. Also I was planning on financing.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »
Check out this deal for a 300, same place I bought my 200i for $1999. They have a 200 too for a great price.     http://rockies.craigslist.org/mcd/4429116879.html

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
If you're looking to spend $6k on a highway capable scoot with storage, why not look at a burgman 400? I got a 2012 model off the showroom floor for $5,300. Sure it takes a little gusto to step over the gas tank and weighs more than any scoot you mentioned, but the low seat height makes walking it around much easier. Since I got rid of my car last year I needed a scooter that could fill it's shoes and the burgy does that just fine. Service intervals are looong in-between and the engine setup is very similar to other smaller scooters, single cylinder, same cvt layout, etc... If you can change your own oil, there's not a significant service other than that required till you hit 15k miles (valve check), oil changes are 3.5k miles in-between. It's not nearly as daunting when you compare it to the 650's with the V-twin and extra 150lbs. My gf even rides the burgman sometimes and loves it and she's itty bitty.

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »
Maxi style scooters are ugly. Thats why I dont look at them. I wouldnt own one unless I was retired like every maxi scooter owner in KC. And btw yes the 200 gave an accurate impression on how the 300 handles. I finally found a used one and plan to buy it. Here in kc the used market is 95% chinese sh** scooters and beat up and dropped japanese scoots. Its hard to find used quality here. Just not enough of a market yet.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()