Author Topic: Sun is hard on scooters  (Read 4320 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Sun is hard on scooters
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 02:45:32 AM »
Tough to date is the way I would put it.

She makes one hell of a Mad Dog, and Coke tho. Credit where it is due.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 05:17:07 AM »
I am very lucky to live here in the high basin desert of Idaho. The sun does beat down on us in the summer, but I keep my scooter in the garage and that really helps. There is very little humidity, so the dry air keep everything in very good condition. Keep the scoot out of the sun in the summer, and wash off the crud in the winter, and it's all good.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »
I use 303 Protectant on all my kayak stuff ( including hull and cockpit covers) . I would think it would work well on scooters ( especially seats/ black plastic parts ) very well .

I keep mine in it's own 5X8 shed and cover it outdoors ( if away from home for more than a day ) .
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
MassScoot, the place where you live is amazing....
You really must post a few dozen pictures of your scooter on the coast!
No excuses You really must share this scenery with your scooter buddies. (we've all seen the movie!)
Stig

Stig: Sorry for the late reply. I'll attach a few pics of my GT300i with the ocean in the background. The sad thing is I'm not using my scooter much these days. We own a Seaway 24' boat & we're on it almost every weekend. The New England boating season is so short (as is the scooter season) I put on all of 175 miles this spring. I do need to stop & appreciate where my wife & I live. I simply take for granted most days as that's what you see all of the time. I know this isn't a boating forum but here's a few links to our boat.

http://seawayboats.com/24-hardtop-sport/#!prettyPhoto

Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »
Stig: Sorry for the late reply. I'll attach a few pics of my GT300i with the ocean in the background. The sad thing is I'm not using my scooter much these days. We own a Seaway 24' boat & we're on it almost every weekend. The New England boating season is so short (as is the scooter season) I put on all of 175 miles this spring. I do need to stop & appreciate where my wife & I live. I simply take for granted most days as that's what you see all of the time. I know this isn't a boating forum but here's a few links to our boat.

Very nice!!
Thanks for pix of your boat.
What are the white extensions above the cabin?
Very understandable that the family boat would take precedence over even a nice scoot....though I would offer this: very early scooter riding at sun up will leave plenty of boating time after breakfast! :-) :-)
Thanks again for the pix, I look forward to your Mass coast/scooter pix. Good on you for appreciating your good fortune.
Ride safe ...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »
Guys.
Please do not use WD-40 for your needs. I had a maintenance guy where I work tell me how this is the worst product one can use for any kind of lubrication. Him and his locksmith buddy told me Tri-Flow is better than WD-40. Out here in the west, many of us keep our scooters in the garage, or in the car ports with the covers on them. So far my bike has been fine with no rust at all.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 12:58:18 PM »
True wd40 is made with fish oil .which keeps moisture away but in time to much will turn to slime and damage things. A good silver gravite spray is better .

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 03:56:35 PM »
Guys.
Please do not use WD-40 for your needs. I had a maintenance guy where I work tell me how this is the worst product one can use for any kind of lubrication. Him and his locksmith buddy told me Tri-Flow is better than WD-40. Out here in the west, many of us keep our scooters in the garage, or in the car ports with the covers on them. So far my bike has been fine with no rust at all.
I am a locksmith on the side, and we use Tri-Flow for everything. It is a fantastic product, period. Graphite will collect moisture and gum up, so we never use it. It is old technology, and with great lubricants like Tri-Flow around, there's no need for it - kind of like putting an engine from a Model T into a Formula 1 race car. End of lubricant rant.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
I am a fan of PB Blaster myself. Never tried Tri Flow...

WD-40 evaporates over time so at BEST it is a temporary fix.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()