Author Topic: Sun is hard on scooters  (Read 4327 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Sun is hard on scooters
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
I think all you folks in sunshine States already know this.... but looking at the scooters down here in Florida...the sun is sure hard on body work and the salt air seems very hard on the metal parts. Looked over a couple of Honda metros yesterday...lots of miles on each, which was good to see....but they sure suffered from sitting out with no cover. My scoot is either under my rump or in the garage...so the finish looks nearly new. Would trade that for year round scootering, any time! Give me an old faded burgundy Vino 125 and a Red Sox poncho and gettouttatheway!!
. Ride safe folks,
Sti
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
Re: Sun is hard on scooters
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:33 AM »
No question sir the sun kills.
Gotta keep them clean, waxed and undercover! Salt air is easier than UV to deal with.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:20:46 PM »
When the scoot starts looking a little faded and wore from the elements, that's just called character! As long as the mechanical parts are taken care of, it's all good to me.
You can always tell the rides that are everyday, primary transport from the fair-weather play toys. I'm not too worried about the color fading over time, because the plastic parts are fairly cheap if they need replacing someday.
Plus, when the color starts fading, that's just an excuse to pull off the body panels and do a custom paint job. Or, if you're like me, a redneck rattlecan mongrel!  ;D
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
AMAC: I completely disagree. Sun can be avoided with a simple cover. Salt air as no boundaries. Meaning.....You can keep a cover on a scooter, but if you live near the ocean, there's no way to completely keep salt air it away from your scooter. I live right on the water in Gloucester, MA. (not a block or two away) right on the ocean. I wash my GT300i once a week & that's still not enough, plus I use Corrosion X on my shocks, forks etc. It helps, but it's never enough.

I just have regulated myself to knowing this is one of the drawbacks of owning a scooter near the ocean. I'm going to get rust & there's just so much I can do about it. My scoot runs fine just the same. The upside? Cruising around Cape Ann & hugging the coastline for a wonderful scenic ride.

If you guys/girls live near the ocean like me....Then buy this product here:

http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-Anti-Corrosion-Aerosol-Lubricant-16-Ounce/dp/B003HFTI0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403194651&sr=8-1&keywords=corrosion+x

It works pretty good overall.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »
AMAC: I completely disagree. Sun can be avoided with a simple cover. Salt air as no boundaries. Meaning.....You can keep a cover on a scooter, but if you live near the ocean, there's no way to completely keep salt air it away from your scooter. I live right on the water in Gloucester, MA. (not a block or two away) right on the ocean. I wash my GT300i once a week & that's still not enough, plus I use Corrosion X on my shocks, forks etc. It helps, but it's never enough.

I just have regulated myself to knowing this is one of the drawbacks of owning a scooter near the ocean. I'm going to get rust & there's just so much I can do about it. My scoot runs fine just the same. The upside? Cruising around Cape Ann & hugging the coastline for a wonderful scenic ride.

If you guys/girls live near the ocean like me....Then buy this product here:

http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-Anti-Corrosion-Aerosol-Lubricant-16-Ounce/dp/B003HFTI0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403194651&sr=8-1&keywords=corrosion+x

I too have lived my life within spitting distance to the ocean and you're right washing once a week won't do it. Nothing will completely stop salt air. That said my rides and boats see 24/7 365 life near the ocean and rust is minimal.  I find the scooters pretty easy as there is very little shiny stuff on my DT300 or SYM RV200.

Now the Cali Classsic is another story. With all the naked metal I just accept it won't "glow" but leave a film of WD-40 or the like on all the metal. It has lived at the beach since 2010 and the metal looks close to new.

Yes in time the metal will rust and pitt a bit. It takes a long time for the integrity of most, I said most, of the metal on a scoot to be compromised to the point of failure.

The same can't be said for UV and plastic. In the Florida sun I've seen seats go south in 6 months. Same with dash and body parts. All exposed plastic is at risk and most products just oil the surface. Once the polymer is gone its gone.

Just my own experience but UV has always been harder on my stuff.

Be Big,
AMAC

www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »
 Here we worry about salt on the roads if u ride in the winter.and the four seasons.rain for the rust and the sun is not nice to us eather.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »
I too have lived my life within spitting distance to the ocean and you're right washing once a week won't do it. Nothing will completely stop salt air. That said my rides and boats see 24/7 365 life near the ocean and rust is minimal.  I find the scooters pretty easy as there is very little shiny stuff on my DT300 or SYM RV200.

Now the Cali Classsic is another story. With all the naked metal I just accept it won't "glow" but leave a film of WD-40 or the like on all the metal. It has lived at the beach since 2010 and the metal looks close to new.

Yes in time the metal will rust and pitt a bit. It takes a long time for the integrity of most, I said most, of the metal on a scoot to be compromised to the point of failure.

The same can't be said for UV and plastic. In the Florida sun I've seen seats go south in 6 months. Same with dash and body parts. All exposed plastic is at risk and most products just oil the surface. Once the polymer is gone its gone.

AMAC: The salt-air in Florida is much less then our in New England. Meaning...Our salt is much thicker then yours. The more you go North on the eastern-seaboard, the denser it is. Example: If I jump into the water, you'll float better. Our salt-air up here is nasty! It destroys almost everything. My scooter is subject to this & there is almost nothing I can do about it. 

Just my own experience but UV has always been harder on my stuff.

Be Big,
AMAC
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 12:53:25 AM »
AMAC: I live right on the water in Gloucester, MA. (not a block or two away) right on the ocean.  The upside? Cruising around Cape Ann & hugging the coastline for a wonderful scenic ride.
MassScoot, the place where you live is amazing....
You really must post a few dozen pictures of your scooter on the coast!
No excuses You really must share this scenery with your scooter buddies. (we've all seen the movie!)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 03:03:22 AM »
Somthing pretty cool is you can tell where in the US a vehicle has come from just by looking at it.

Northern stuff has rotted out chassis from salt, and southern stuff has rotted out plastics from the sun. Stuff from out west has no rust at all.

I can vouch for the sun here in Florida. It can, and does kill. No joke. 20 years ago it was very different. Today a black T shirt left on the line for one day is faded to the point you can't wear it
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 03:04:04 PM »
So what do you folks put on the seat as a UV inhibitor? You know like an Armor-All protectant. Now I probably wouldn't use Armor-All cause it's too slick after applying but you get the jist.
Wayne

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »
Somthing pretty cool is you can tell where in the US a vehicle has come from just by looking at it.

Northern stuff has rotted out chassis from salt, and southern stuff has rotted out plastics from the sun. Stuff from out west has no rust at all.

I can vouch for the sun here in Florida. It can, and does kill. No joke. 20 years ago it was very different. Today a black T shirt left on the line for one day is faded to the point you can't wear it
1 thing bothers me, your Tshirt fades one time in the sun and you throw it away? You must be rich.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 12:02:20 AM »
No.... It just becomes a work shirt, and I only hang clothes out to dry when it is raining now.

I know, right!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 01:30:00 AM »
Mothers Back to Black for all plastic UV faded restorations...   8)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 02:11:32 AM »
That was the last thing she screamed at me when she was running down the drive.

Your mom is NUTZ Bro!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 02:17:17 AM »
..I mean, she like's 'm big and...ssso...   ::)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()