Author Topic: Coming out of the Scooterist Closet  (Read 1246 times)

XcitingSeoul

• Riding bikes in Seoul is my real-life video game.
    • View Profile
    • ADAM LOFBOMM VOICE
Coming out of the Scooterist Closet
« on: June 20, 2014, 03:08:35 AM »
Hey everybody.

I recently picked up this beautiful lady here. It's a 2012 R 500i ABS model, and only had 806km on the odometer, so it's basically a new bike. And it's the first bike I've ever owned that was less that 5 or 10 years old when it came to me, so I'm pretty stoked.

I've been lurking in the shadows for a week or two now, and as I've been slowly working my way through all the posts I've already learned a ton from you guys and gals. I've frequented some other bike forums over the years and never really felt compelled to get involved in the discussion, but this is a really great community and finally I'd like to jump in. I'm already dreaming of some bike trips I'd like to do around Korea and Japan, as well as some cosmetic and performance upgrades I'd like to make. I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with you folks and picking your brains along the way.

I've been riding for almost 8 years now, all of it in Korea, although I'm originally from Nashville, TN. A bike is the absolute best way to get around the city, and as my job as a voice actor sometimes requires me to traverse Seoul's labyrinth of  gridlock traffic several times a day to get from studio to studio, it's a way of life for me. As my avatar blurb alludes to, riding here is a full-on, real-life video game. I've mostly ridden motorcycles (a few Korean 125s, a Honda CB400 and a BMW GS650), and always considered myself a motorcycle guy. However, when my CB400 was sick and on its way to the grave, I picked up a cheap Daelim Forte 125, from a friend who was leaving the country as a "filler bike." I was embarrassed to admit I kinda LIKED it!  :o I appreciated the simplicity, the storage, the automatic transmission in traffic, the weather protection and the way it... just worked. I ended up getting another Daelim Scooter, a bigger Freewing 250 (what's called an S2 or S3 overseas), and I began to embrace the fact that, yes, I was becoming a scooter guy after all.

Sure, I've still got my dreams of owning a cafe racer and a big adventure touring bike intact, but now that I've got this super sexy and powerful beast of a bike in the Xciting 500, I can wait for a good while.  ;D

“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life” ― Jack Kerouac, On the Road

htcneil2

• View Profile
Re: Coming out of the Scooterist Closet
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 05:00:52 AM »
nice

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
Very nice introduction!
Welcome to the circus!
I look forward to reading your posts from such a exotic location.
Ride safe on that beast. Keep the pictures coming too, please.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »
That is a beautiful scoot---of course I'm biased a little!

Welcome to the forum, it's a fun place.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
That is a beautiful scoot---of course I'm biased a little!

Welcome to the forum, it's a fun place.

Sam:)

Nothing wrong with being a little biased when you own such a great ride! You both have wonderful rides.

Good luck and enjoy!

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

XcitingSeoul

• Riding bikes in Seoul is my real-life video game.
    • View Profile
    • ADAM LOFBOMM VOICE
Coming out of the Scooterist Closet
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »
And if course, if any of you ever make it over to this neck of the woods, give me a shout and I'll show you some beautiful roads and a great time!
“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life” ― Jack Kerouac, On the Road

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()