Author Topic: Running helmet tally.  (Read 2712 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Running helmet tally.
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
I have been noticing more and more motorcycle and scooter riders around my city as of late and have been seeing that there seems to be a great deal of them sans helmet. The last 2 days I have been taking a running tally of how many riders are wearing a helmet and how many are not. So far as of Friday night I have seen 28 riders total, 13 with helmets and 15 without. All but 1 Harley rider was not wearing a helmet. I only saw 1 scooter rider and he was not wearing a helmet either.
    Maybe we can make this our own little study group and have everyone keep an eye out for riders with and without helmets? Let me know what you see? I will keep watching and update as I go.

Ride safe, mscmkr

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: Running helmet tally.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
 In the Socalist Republic of California, where smoking is banned, plastic bags are being outlawed, manufacturers are driven out by laws involving chemical use, and molester teachers can't be fired, helmets are required by law. Lane splitting is legal though. Go figure.
 The cry of the bikers prior to the helmet law was "Let those who ride, decide". I agree with that to a point. Nobody wants their Big Brother telling them how to live their lives. Right before the law passed, the famous actor crashed his bike without a helmet and now he talks to the tv. Thus ended the debate.
  Mscmkr, there wasn't a helmet law in AZ for over 18 when I was there 30 years ago, but there use to be an eye protection law. Is that still in place? Does everyone adhere to that?
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »
Hey Lido, I'm not sure on that eye protection law here but no they don't adhere to it if there is one. I see people ridding with just a dew rag on pretty often. This is the Wild West here. We can sling our hawg legs on our hip bout anywhere we want to. Who the heck needs some dang helmet law!
    Just thought it was interesting to keep a bit of a tab on who wears one and who doesn't. We can add another 9 riders and 5 wearing helmets. A bit better this morning so far. I'm riding and I'm wearing one but I'm not counting myself.
     I will be taking my new GT out tonight so I will keep an eye out and see what I find. Hope everyone has a great weekend and ride safe, mscmkr

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
Required to wear them here in NJ, but many on rice rockets wear them on top of their head and not fastened as they should be.

For information only, if U had my way and was riding in my shore area with a top speed of a factory 50cc I might not wear a helmet, but in almost any other circumstance I would deffinitly have one strapped on.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 09:55:28 PM »
 I lived near 27th Ave and Camelback. I lived there in '81 to '82 starting at age 17, while going to school. I got a ticket as a passenger on my roommates motorcycle for being a minor without a helmet. He got a ticket for no eye protection. (Glasses, goggles, etc).  He was over 18.
 Then again, having a car with California plates, I got pulled over religiously for the year I was there. I could drive blindfolded to the Maricopa County courthouse. It didn't help that I had a '66 Malibu with expired tags. LOL. The cool thing is that years later, my wife's sister became a Judge there. I got the standard family "get out of jail free card".
 I remember everyone strapping on, while on their Harley's. I remember the bars that I would sneak into had signs that said "No firearms".
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 10:26:21 PM »
Im seeing the opposite here in South Central Connecticut. No helmet, shorts, dark clothing on most scooters. Could be the humidity.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Porkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »
For some reason 50cc scooter riders in my area all seem to think that a fall at say 30-40 mph is different than crashing on a motorcycle or they would put a helmet on and get rid of the shorts and flip-flops. You can fall over at a standstill and get a serious concussion or skull fracture. Also, there are things worse than death.

Motorcycle riders that wear their 'painted tupperware' from their wive's kitchens don't get it either.

This is natural selection at it's finest.

Sam:)
2014 Polaris Ranger 800 crew cab 4x4
2012 Honda Goldwing Blue
2013 Kymco Xciting RI ABS in gold/ orange
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 blue metallic
KF6GUW Amateur Extra

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
New update, 15 more riders, 5 with helmets, 10 without. Something I'm noticing now that I have my new GT. I have had a few Harley riders give me a thumbs up or a wave when they ride by. I never had that while I was riding my Like. Maybe it's the size of the bike? I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe I'm part of the 1% now? Lol!

And the tally continues, ride safe everyone, mscmkr

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »
Here in Nevada, currently in Las Vegas, scooters that are less than 50ccs are not required to wear a helmet. Anything over one is required to wear one. I see so many people on the cheap, Chinese 50ccs wear no helmets. Even when I had a 50cc before my current 125cc Kymco agility bike I always wore a helmet. There so many times I fell on my 50cc and believe me those falls did hurt like crazy. One time I coming home from the local scooter shop and the front tire blew out. I fell on my right side and I must have gone at least 100 feet before coming to a complete stop. I was wearing my helmet, but the fall did hurt. I felt like a 300 pound defensive back had just hit me.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 04:49:31 AM »
Mscmkr, if you're thinking that getting a wave makes you a 1 percenter, then 1% doesn't mean what you think it means.  Look it up.
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 07:26:09 AM »
I know what it means. That was a joke! It was a dead give away when I put "Lol" after it.

Vintage MX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »
It's about 50-50 here in West Texas.  I have been a rider since 1972 and have been saved by a helmet twice.  The first time was in 1980 when I came off my Yamaha RD350 at 45mph on a wet road.  The bike landed on the chin bar of my Bell Star full face helmet.  My buddy pulled the bike off me and I walked away with no head or face injuries.  The second happened in 2007 when I crashed hard at 30mph on a motocross track.  Was knocked out cold but eventually walked away from that one too.  It's hard for me to see an un-helmeted rider going down the road.  I say a prayer for him or her and then try to put it out of my mind.
2011 Like 200i, 2002 KTM 200 EXC and a garage full of 1970s Motocrossers and Trials Bikes.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 12:48:46 PM »
They just past the law here.that if you are over 21 you dont need a helmet but your insurance is higher.dumb law I see guys giveing there kids rides and the have helmets but dad dont.how do you explane a crash to love ones saying got in a crash on my motorcycle and son lived but dad died because of no helmet. Not cool.

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
I worked level one trauma for a few years and would see the guys coming in after a crash who weren't wearing a helmet. I vowed to myself I would never ride anything on two wheels. Guess that didn't last. But I will never ride without a helmet. Just don't understand the, "it won't happen to me" syndrome that to many people have. The, "gotta be cool" over rides common sense far to often. Just can't be cool wearing a helmet.......right?
     I certainly wish the best for the people who don't wear a helmet. I hope they ride safe.

Mscmkr

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
So far this week:
- 8 crotch rockets, 6 with helmets, 2 without
- 3 scooters, 1 with helmet, 2 without (all three were small 50 cc scoots)
- 6 Harleys, 2 with helmets, 3 with only do-rags, and........
.....drum roll, please................

............ 1 Harley rider in NOTHING BUT A SPEEDO!!! :P   And he most definitely did NOT have a Speedo body. Ewwwwwwww!!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()